Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2020 5:09:29 PM EDT
I have a friend with a Winchester Model 94 with a nickel steel finish produced in 1932 chambered in 30 wcf. The barrel is less than 16” and was delivered new in this barrel length.

Is there any exemption from a SBR stamp because of date of manufacture?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  See the ATF’s C&R booklet.

If the carbine is not listed have an attorney write the BATF legal asking for an exemption letter.  

Manufactured in 1919. The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has this rare trapper carbine listed by serial number as being removed from the NFA (National Firearms Act) and classified as a curio and relic (see page 41). Fitted with a pinned blade front sight, folding ladder rear sight graduated to "20," and saddle ring on the left side of the receiver. A Winchester factory oval proof is stamped on the barrel and receiver at the breech.

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of reading ahead of me on this one. Thanks for the reply, he’ll be happy to hear that there’s a process for this heirloom.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You don't need to pay a lawyer to write the letter.  I did it myself for a High Standard Model S I purchased, a rare variant that was produced with a smooth bore for use with shot shells.  Just document the firearm, including photos of relevant areas like serial number and barrel length and request that it be added to the exempt list.  You should get a letter back notifying you that it has been added.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top