Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 10:40:21 PM EDT
Would you recommend on your dominant eye?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I would.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Non dominate eye.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Non dominate eye.
View Quote
Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to this stuff, but I would think it would depend on what you're doing and what you want to be prepared for, and if you're talking NV or thermal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well this is something you might have to figure out for yourself.  Initially, I used my dominate eye.  But I was using it as a spotting scope, much as I would use binos during the day.  I would stop, take a knee, and scan the area as far as I could see through the bush, and then drive on.  The "wall of green" concept as explained by Plaster and others.  It was pouch-mounted (sometimes in conjunction with a neck lanyard) and used basically as hand-held monocular.  So naturally, I was using the dominate eye.  But then.

I discovered head-mounted NV.  Woo Hoo.  When you are patrolling with these things on, you may find you develop different techniques.  For instance I now like to run it on my non-dominant eye.  I have found that for me, this just works, because the dominant eye is still in the game; it wants to run things, however the non-dominant eye gets a vote as well, seeing as it has an enhanced picture, so my brain will meld these two images together (if you control the gain).  I also run an off-set from my face, without any "eyecup", so I still have significant peripheral vision, in both eyes.  And by tilting my head up slightly, I can see very nicely through both (unaided) eyes.

So you might have to experiment a bit and see what works for you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would.
View Quote
Explain to the OP.  Most everyone would run it on non dominant eye to keep dominant eye focused on the optic reticle or laser.

In fact, I rarely ever see it the way you advocate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It also depends on your gears. I started out using lasers on both my rifle and the pistol, so using a mono on my non dominant eye was not an issue. Since then I started using a rmr on the pistol instead of a laser. I tried, but couldn't pick up the dot. Now I use a mono config with my dominant eye.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Explain to the OP.  Most everyone would run it on non dominant eye to keep dominant eye focused on the optic reticle or laser.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would.

I run non-dominant because the monocular can hit my rifle optics if I'm shooting. Obviously I don't take a full cheek weld when using my PVS-14, but I like to get the stock up to my jaw bone for proper indexing. Using my non-dominant eye makes this simple. Also, as stated above it lets me look through my optic with my dominant eye, even if the unit is on and in place over my left eye. This is useful for changing light conditions or if your laser gets obscured/turned off/unplugged/battery dies/etc and you need to shoot RIGHT NOW. Also useful if your rifle uses a magnified optic, so you can easily go back and forth between NV and aiming with an IR laser, and aiming using your scope.

I got pretty adept at using it with my non-dominant eye, I just started walking around my neighborhood and the hills behind me with it, and then I started dry fire drills in my house and backyard. Practice made it feel completely natural.

Isn't there a Nick Cage movie where he's an Apache pilot and has trouble using his non-dominant eye with the helmet mounted HUD so they rig up a periscope with mirrors and drive a jeep around the airfield?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I put my monocular over my non-dominate eye so my dominate eye stays night adjusted in case I need to go white light and use my optic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#11]
That's really one of the best responses I've ever read on here.

Well said.

And duly noted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Dominant eye, I aim through my aimpoints.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Little off-topic but related.  I have found that a lot of guys get married to their T,T,P's.  It's like an ego thing or whatever.  Once they announce a certain stance on a subject, they fight like hell to defend it, rather than consider all the options.  It's like if they admit they're may be a better way, or just another way, it will shrink their dick, or at least make them look wishy-washy.

You see a lot of this on line.  Guys defending a position, just because they feel threatened by another opinion.  And you get a lot of jokers who just stir the pot, for shit and giggles, rather than actually trying to add to the discourse.

If you look at what Augee is saying here, there is a perfect example of a guy who views things as a continuous process, rather than a point stuck in time.  T,T,P's evolve over time.  I can certainly vouch for that, being a black boot, cold war marine.  The shit I was taught at Quantico is so out-dated now; only a nit wit would cling to it (although there are those that still do).  But anyways, you can take a look at the progression that a current war-fighter went through and see how the process evolved.  That's the take-away here.

I only mentioned this to say the answer to the OP, like many things, is a moving target.  You take a look at what you need to do, and how others are handling it, and you update yourself as necessary.  If you're just jumping into the fray, consider what's being said, analyze it, and try some shit out for yourself.  And maybe be not being afraid to admit there's a better way to do something, and changing.

Not calling anyone out for doing that here; merely pointing out how someone is doing the exact opposite, and why we should all strive to do the same, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why do you say that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Non dominate eye.
Why do you say that?
You use your dominant eye for white light aiming.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend mounting in accordance with the dominant eye

The best reason for this is fairly straightforward: your eyes don't see, your brain does.  Your eyes simply gather data for your brain, and your dominant eye is the one that gathers information that is more in-line with how your brain interprets that data

It is intuitive, your dominant eye is the one you use for everything that you deem important.

If you're using your dominant eye to use night vision and aim as well, that's best solved with a technical solution.

If this solution is geared towards real-world use, I would recommend a laser for shorter and faster engagements, and a dedicated imager for slower and longer engagements

If the solution is for recreational use, I would recommend whatever you can afford
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dominant eye, I aim through my aimpoints.
View Quote
I actually just started doing this. Non-dominant when using laser, dominant when passive through aimpoint. For scanning ,walking etc. seems about the same to me either eye; but I have old eyes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Always like seeing good discourse here and Augee’s input (when did you become TNVC_Augee?) here is certainly valuable learned suggestions.

I have never tried binos and God knows i’d Like them, but I like having that other eye seeing ambient and noticing stuff that I would only notice with at least one unaided eye.

I am right handed and just slightly right eye dominant. I Ihave always run the monocular over my non dominant eye and this ihas worked well for me in two low/no light classes as well as other futzing around(s).  I like it, but will give some thought and practice to above suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I switched it over and practiced a little dominant eye last night.  It feels funny over there.  But it also works with RDS and pistol MRDS.

Shakin' the bushes boss.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#21]
OK had to do some minor tweaking to get the passive mode going.  I added a 1/2" riser under a ADM mount and am now at 2.28" roughly.  This brings things up nicely to get a reticle with the -14.  I was running a Geisselle mount at 1.93 and it was a bit low.  Maybe OK for occasional use, but if you wanted to run dominant eye and passive as SOP, then the higher mount is gonna be the deal, at least for me.

Augee do you see a problem in adjusting the laser pointer to the reticle, as long as your RDS is zeroed?  It's hard to get low light range time around here; this would be a nice way to confirm zero in between live fire.  I know this sorta defeats the purpose of passive work, but it's right there and easy to check.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Nah just in general terms.  The only way I've ever "zero'd" my laser was to prone out, put the RDS reticle on tgt, and let my buddy adjust the laser until it hits the same spot.  This is with OTAL, so yeah pretty basic.

My question is if I put the reticle on a tgt at 100m, then adjust the laser to the exact same spot, will that get me in the neighborhood of a 100m zero on the laser?  Is that pretty much what you were doing with your johnny home maker laser target, with the 1 1/2" reflector?

Just recently joined a club with limited night time shooting so I will finally be able to explore this a little.  With the -14 now mounted dominant eye, and the RDS on a taller mount, I can now look through the reticle and see the laser at the same time.  So I'm just wondering if those dots should be lined up, or should there be a little off-set, depending on the range.  For instance at 50m it would be slightly off-set, high and right, 100m dead on, but at say 150m, it would be off-set (low maybe?) and left (as the laser crossed over after 100m).

Uh new thread?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#25]
No I actually get it, the way you explained it, thanks.

Makes sense, it's the reticle POA, not the bore.  Duh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Can I throw a wrench into this discussion?  What if, like me, you're a right handed shooter and you're left eye dominant?  Which eye would you all recommend for the NVG monocular?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I’d just put it on either eye and go use it.  See how it feels, see how you do.  Then after a week or two try the other eye and see how that goes for a couple weeks.  Truth is everyone’s eyes are different and everyone is using them a different way. No one answer is the best for all situations.  So pick what makes sense to you and then if it doesn’t feel ideal, do it different.  It’s not like there are NV police coming to ticket you.  So try it out and do what works best. Everything else is either preaching hypotheticals or giving their experience from their eyes.  Neither is all that important to anyone else as again, everyone has different eyes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can I throw a wrench into this discussion?  What if, like me, you're a right handed shooter and you're left eye dominant?  Which eye would you all recommend for the NVG monocular?
View Quote
Change your eye dominance.

I'm right handed and at one time was left eye dominant. After some time of forcing myself to use my right eye, I became right eye dominant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top