Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2021 11:32:32 PM EDT
It’s torture waiting to see what they offer first and what kind of volume they can crank out.
This is as bad or worse than waiting in a suppressor
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Heck, I didn't know, so I looked it up.  

This is from NRA Shooting Illustrated.com -

Comments made by Ruger President and CEO Christopher J. Killoy during the company’s Feb. 18 quarterly earnings conference call provide detail on the much-anticipated relaunch of Marlin Firearms, and the challenges his company faces during the transition. Ruger purchased nearly all the famed manufacturer’s assets during last year’s Remington Outdoor bankruptcy proceedings.

Volume of equipment and its locations were the initial challenge. “[W]e had over 100 tractor-trailer loads from three of [its] former locations, from the Remington folks, that we moved, primarily into our Mayodan [NC] facility and an adjacent warehouse,” Killoy explained to an investor during the call. “We moved the woodworking equipment up to our facility in New Hampshire.”

“We inherited a lot of equipment that needs some additional maintenance and additional work,” he added. “We’re going through that with a lot of technicians and maintenance folks right now. We’re fortunate to have some great mechanical engineers going through, again on a part-by-part basis. We did hire a handful of folks from Remington, who are familiar with some of those products. And, that’s helped us.”

Ruger is in the process of evaluating designs and tailoring the manufacturing approach to meet its quality standards and deliver the performance Marlin enthusiasts expect. Killoy said centerfire lever-action rifles will be the first to come out of the factory, sometime later this year.

Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It’s getting to be “ later this year” and there hasn’t been a peep out of Ruger since February. I don’t think they’re going be ready this year. I’m not sure if  buying a Ruger Marlin in their first year of production would be a good idea anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s getting to be “ later this year” and there hasn’t been a peep out of Ruger since February. I don’t think they’re going be ready this year. I’m not sure if  buying a Ruger Marlin in their first year of production would be a good idea anyway.
View Quote

Ruger doesn't hype new products as far in advance as many manufacturers, once they start talking about something it shows up on shelves Pretty quickly.  I much prefer that to the year or more of hype many manufacturers do.  

I'm a buyer when they show up assuming prices are sane.  If Ruger sees enough demand early on they will move on to variations faster - threaded barrels, more caliber options, more cosmetic choices, etc.  They made a big gamble on this and have good customer support, so I hope people jump on board to help make it successful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as they make a side gate, 327 Fed Mag I'll be happy!  Henry has one, but w/o the side gate loading
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#5]
After the remington disaster I’m sure ruger is taking their time to make sure everything is really ready before they start shipping out.

A lot of us are very excited to see Marlin as a purchasable brand again. If the first batches they ship are turds I really don’t think it matters at that point, the reputation will stay as it was during remingtons tenure. Doesn’t matter if they get significantly better after months of a year, the image of being crappy will stick around.

I don’t care how long it takes them to hit the market again. I just want them to be solid guns again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As long as they make a side gate, 327 Fed Mag I'll be happy!  Henry has one, but w/o the side gate loading
View Quote
I saw in a thread on here that the last 1894s in .32 Magnum were still tube feed only, which is absolutely fascinating to me.

That being said, I would love a 39A in stainless; my sweat can be overly caustic to older blued finishes, and while I love my 39 I would love a more durable model.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Chris Killoy mentioned in their August earnings call that the new Marlins would start shipping in Q4 2020.  He also said they've spent a lot of time on the machinery getting things up and running for their own machining.  It sounds like they got tons of spare parts from Remlin.  But he said the new guns will be all Ruger made and will not have leftover Remlin spares in them or anything like that.  He also said they're starting out with the 1895, 1894, and 336.  Only a few models in each line to begin with but they will continue adding other models as time goes on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lifetime warranty.  No fear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I would rather they take their time and produce something excellent than rush something that is somewhat workable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lifetime warranty.  No fear.
View Quote

Why don't you offer a lifetime warranty like other manufacturers?  
Unfortunately, the law in this area is complicated and varies widely. Rather than provide a written "lifetime warranty" followed by a lengthy disclaimer (which is what many manufacturers do), Ruger has elected not to provide a written warranty.
Regardless, we sincerely value our customers and work hard to treat them fairly. If you have a problem with your Ruger® firearm, reach out to our excellent customer service representatives and I believe you will be very pleased with the result. If not, let me know.

Edited to add:
We know that Ruger bought Marlin. What we don’t know is will Marlin be a separate company from Ruger or be just a trademark. If it’s a separate company it could have a different warranty policy. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That wouldbe sweet.  I also want a 39A and in 22mag
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Edited to add:
We know that Ruger bought Marlin. What we don’t know is will Marlin be a separate company from Ruger or be just a trademark. If it’s a separate company it could have a different warranty policy. Time will tell.
View Quote

I'd imagine they'll be treated like a trademark and have the same warranty policy.  Ruger is bringing all the tooling in-house and building the Marlins at their Mayodan, NC plant.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
curious to see if quality improves since Ruger seems to have high standards...fingers crossed, then I'll buy another 45-70
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
curious to see if quality improves since Ruger seems to have high standards...fingers crossed, then I'll buy another 45-70
View Quote

I would love to see a .375 based off the .45/70 case or a .348 Winchester if they could get it to feed. I also wish they would bring back the .338 Marlin express I missed buying one and regretted it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to be a Debbie Downer but the statement does not reflect fact. I purchased two Ruger single action revolvers sight unseen and shame on me. They both suffered from a lack of quality control. The Single Seven was a gun that was a later production run one "after the bugs were worked out". I sent it back and the cylinder was replaced due to excessive gap to the barrel. It had sharp edges that actually cut me the action was ROUGH though they said it was within spec. The grips fit like they were done by a drunken monkey.

Not mine but my Single Seven is like this one.

I then bought a 480 Super Blackhawk Bisley (SBHB) with the 4 5/8" barrel it was pretty much the same as to fit and finish and a TERRIBLE action. If you cocked the hammer slowly it would lock up. If you cocked it really fast it would work. That is not what you want in a hunting handgun.

Also not my 480 SBHB but it looks like this one too.

Hindsight being 20-20 I never would have bought either one. I was expecting something closer to the older Bill Ruger era Rugers. As someone with over a dozen Ruger firearms, I will NEVER buy another Ruger sight unseen again. I was not a fan of Bill Ruger's politics but he could build a fine gun.

edit - to fix spelling
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but the statement does not reflect fact. I purchased two Ruger single action revolvers sight unseen and shame on me. They both suffered from a lack of quality control. The Single Seven was a gun that was a later production run one "after the bugs were worked out". I sent it back and the cylinder was replaced due to excessive gap to the barrel. It had sharp edges that actually cut me the action was ROUGH though they said it was within spec. The grips fit like they were done by a drunken monkey.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2Fuserimages%2F143541%2F909035141%2Fwm_6818515.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I then bought a 480 Super Blackhawk Bisley (SBHB) with the 4 5/8" barrel it was pretty much the same as to fit and finish and a TERRIBLE action. If you cocked the hammer slowly it would lock up. If you cocked it really fast it would work. That is not what you want in a hunting handgun.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2FUserImages%2F3310%2F935363108%2Fwm_11824614.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Hindsight being 20-20 I never would have bought either one. I was expecting something closer to the older Bill Ruger era Rugers. As someone with over a dozen Ruger firearms, I will NEVER buy another Ruger sight unseen again. I was not a fan of Bill Ruger's politics but he could build a fine gun.

edit- to fix spelling
View Quote

"Quality" isn't the first word I think of when Ruger comes up. They have some product lines that are OK, others that are a complete crap shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

"Quality" isn't the first word I think of when Ruger comes up. They have some product lines that are OK, others that are a complete crap shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2Fuserimages%2F143541%2F909035141%2Fwm_6818515.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsamerica.com%2FUserImages%2F3310%2F935363108%2Fwm_11824614.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

edit- to fix spelling

That is the exact opposite in my experience. Every Ruger I have ever owned as been top notch quality, and extremely well built and finished. All of them have been smooth and 100% right out of the box.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve been batting .500. About half of my Rugers had to go back to get fixed for various issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had great luck with Ruger's .22 pistols but the QC on their revolvers is garbage. Every one of their SA revolvers I've bought has had serious QC issues: buggered screws, scratches, dings, trigger slap (out of spec transfer bar), and the icing on the cake? A Flat Top Blackhawk convertible that shed its front sight not once, but twice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My boss had two separate guns that needed to be shipped back to Ruger. The AR had a out of spec bolt carrier and the Wrangler 22 pistol he couldn't get the loading gate to  open. I hope that the new Marlins don't suffer from the same bad quality control. He's batting two out of two, and has stated he's done buying Ruger guns.

I'm waiting for a 1894 in 357mag, hopefully in stainless.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Ruger would be hard pressed to do worse than Remington when they first started production.  After the CNC equipment they got better. Hopefully the rugers  will be at least as good as the last Remingtons.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
You are just a junky, you need help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are just a junky, you need help.
View Quote

If your talking to me I agree.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#24]
well hopefully the quality happily surprises us...I wasn't aware quality slipped with Ruger too, sad to hear
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Rumlin?

Marger?

I dont care, just make a dark 45-70.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ruger would be hard pressed to do worse than Remington when they first started production.  After the CNC equipment they got better. Hopefully the rugers  will be at least as good as the last Remingtons.
View Quote

I have several JM 336 and a 2017 336. The 2017 functions just a well, doesn't look as nice and wood is nowhere near as nice but it works.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I look forward to them starting production.  I want a 336 for a beater east coast woods gun.  All the used ones around here are commanding stupid prices.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I look forward to them starting production.  I want a 336 for a beater east coast woods gun.  All the used ones around here are commanding stupid prices.
View Quote

I sold a JM 336 for $450 last year. Seemed only semi autos were going for double.
It was kind of odd factory special ordered camo.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are they going for in NC?
They aren’t even getting listed in my area and the ones I’ve seen are $750-800 or so
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They aren't even getting listed in my area and the ones I've seen are $750-800 or so
View Quote

$700 and up.  I could haggle them down but not much point as it will still be too much.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

edit - to fix spelling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit - to fix spelling

Do you buy guns online, sight unseen?
I would not buy a revolver that cut my finger or one that locked up if you cocked it slowly.
I have been impressed by Ruger's firearms even since the death of Bill.
The No.1 my neighbor bought is top notch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I doubt we'll see a quality Marlin from them until mid summer next year.

I'm really hoping that they can produce a nice lever gun with nice blueing and nice walnut furniture..

I only own 2 Rugers and 2 Marlins. All 4 are nice guns. I'm really looking forward to these new guns
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

$700 and up.  I could haggle them down but not much point as it will still be too much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't even getting listed in my area and the ones I've seen are $750-800 or so

I don’t think they will ever get cheaper.  
With the way inflation is going these $700 JM Marlins may be priced fair even if we don’t like it.  A new Ruger Marlin may not be much cheaper when they come out if any.
     Both of us being in Lever gun territory probably doesn’t help either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Also remember that the JM stamp doesn't mean it's a good gun. There are plenty of JM stamped guns that are crap. I'd be very concerned on the later years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would love to see a .375 based off the .45/70 case or a .348 Winchester if they could get it to feed. I also wish they would bring back the .338 Marlin express I missed buying one and regretted it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they’d need to redesign the receiver on the 1895 to fit a .348 in it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 1:06:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Also remember that the JM stamp doesn't mean it's a good gun. There are plenty of JM stamped guns that are crap. I'd be very concerned on the later years.
View Quote

Yes there are. JM cut corners in places too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#37]

I wonder if Ruger will fix the canted sights on my Marlin that was bought when Remington owned it a couple years ago?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#38]
To compare, I picked up a JM marked 1895 XLR in 45/70 stainless (like pictured above) for $625 when it came out in 2006. Interesting to see how much they will be when Ruger reintroduces them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#39]
A basic 94/95 or Henry has been $700-800 For many years.  Any desireable variation(threaded, stainless, etc) has been pushing $1k.  
The days of $400 wall mart marlins are long gone.  Unreasonably high pricing is my only concern about ruger making this work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Honesty I think they will do a good job with these rifles.  I just hope they will offer some of the options that were hard to get.

The 16in STP 1895s hint hint.    Also just because you thread the barrel doesn’t mean they need  to be in black. I hate that shit with passion. The SS with the Grey laminate was much better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I wonder if Ruger will fix the canted sights on my Marlin that was bought when Remington owned it a couple years ago?
View Quote

A few years ago I went to a well known chain store here in California. They had a Remlin 1894c on the rack. I looked at the gun, shoulder it and saw the the barrel was canted to the left. It was a fine example of what was being produced. Also kind of silly to have that gun on the rack.

As hard headed as I am I ordered one (they had a pallet if 94c on order) I lucked out and got a beautiful gun, with dark walnut and beautiful bluing on the first try. It's a really nice gun and a good shooter.

FWIW, I've got a new Rossi R92, CBC made, 20", 357 that I bought a year+ ago. Like every Rossi, the bluing is beautiful and the wood is crap, all though the fit was nice. I inspected this gun before I put down the cash.
You'd have to be stupid or blind not to see how bad this barrel is canted to the left. I'm not blind so that only leaves stupid. The gun shoots like a dream. It has its usual Roosi problems but it's the most accurate Rossi R92 that I have owned.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's a bit short. But I can still wish. A .375 off the Marlin .450 might be fun?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Well , I would love to be shown that I am wrong but these days Ruger isn't keeping up with demand of Ruger guns, how are they going to get a "new" line up and running ? Partly huge demand , supply and distribution problems of the post covid era all add to the problems.

Like many other firearms outfits the change has been to let the consumers be their inspectors . Yeah , many claim they will fix things but my experience doesn't agree with that in several different guns I returned to them.

Getting Ruger built Marlins out the door in reasonable quantity and quality is going to take some time and I wouldn't be surprised if inflation doesn't drive the cost up to scary levels.

Kind of glad I have JMs in 22lr , 357 , 375win (big bore) and 45/70 that I have bought in years past to go with my several Winchesters .
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Not sure about other ruger guns, as I have never owned any other than 10/22's. However the quality on them is not what it used to be.
Here is a thread I posted up on rimfire central showing a older Vs a newer one.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032578

Hopefully the lever guns do not follow suit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't think they will ever get cheaper.  
With the way inflation is going these $700 JM Marlins may be priced fair even if we don't like it.  A new Ruger Marlin may not be much cheaper when they come out if any.
     Both of us being in Lever gun territory probably doesn't help either.
View Quote
That's for Remlins.  The JM's are $100 or more higher.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit- to fix spelling

I've been wanting to pick up a second wrangler so each daughter has one.  Have a bronze and been waiting on black.  Finally 2 came into the LGS.  Both had rust all over the cylinders.   I like Ruger and have a bunch but they can have issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top