Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 1/3/2021 11:17:35 PM EST
Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I didn’t know where else to put it.

I’m relatively new to rimfire, but with the current cost of ammo and a bad influence of a friend letting me shoot some suppressed .22lr, I was hooked. I immediately bought a mk IV lite, and a deadair mask. The first day I shot it I didn’t have a single hiccup. I then took it to the range a second time, and the first 3 rounds of both magazines go nose up above the chamber and basically crimp. I realized I didn’t have this issue the first day because I was only loading mags to 6 for 3 shot groups. I figured it could be mag related so I cleaned the ones I had, and ordered 4 stainless steel 22/45 mags from a dealer. They got here today, and same problem. Every one of the first 3 rounds go nose up. I’ve read about ‘tuning’ the magazines, but I’d like to avoid that on a brand new firearm that I expect to work a reasonable amount of time for a ..22LR pistol. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ruger told me to leave mags fully loaded for a month and if that didn’t solve the problem they’d replace my mags. My buying of brand new mags leads me to believe that 2 additional new magazines won’t fix my issue. Sorry for the essay and thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:49:58 PM EST
What ammo? I have had issues with cheap lead nose ammo in my Ruger Standard (older version of the Mark IV) but those would fail to chamber and get jammed. Still, might try some different ammo. I have not had any issues in my new Mark IV but I also quit using cheap ammo and save that for my 10/22 that eats everything.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:57:46 PM EST
I forgot to mention that. I’ve run 4 different types of ammo, all copper plated. 2 hollows and 2 round nose
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:07:12 AM EST
I'll pass this on, though I'm sure it does not apply... I was at an outdoor range a couple of months ago, and a new to shooting husband and wife were having feeding problems with her Ruger... I asked I could take a look, and something didn't look right with the loaded magazine... he had purchased .22 long ammunition and not .22 long rifle... an inexperienced clerk had sold him the only .22 they had in the store
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:04:13 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
I'll pass this on, though I'm sure it does not apply... I was at an outdoor range a couple of months ago, and a new to shooting husband and wife were having feeding problems with her Ruger... I asked I could take a look, and something didn't look right with the loaded magazine... he had purchased .22 long ammunition and not .22 long rifle... an inexperienced clerk had sold him the only .22 they had in the store
View Quote

I’m actually very happy to say this doesn’t apply here
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:34:22 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alevinson91:
I forgot to mention that. I’ve run 4 different types of ammo, all copper plated. 2 hollows and 2 round nose
View Quote

In that case, I'm inclined to think it's something other than the mags themselves. Would be odd for 6 different mags to all have the same issue. It sounds like with the first few rounds being under extra pressure the bolt isn't stripping them quite right. Maybe the bolt spring is a bit too weak and slows down too much on these first round or maybe something is up with the feed ramp. I'd take a close look at the feed ramp and maybe pull the bolt and inspect the spring. Give everything a good cleaning too. Maybe it's just gummed up with a bit too much oil from the factory or something. Also could just be a break in issue. Load 6 at a time and fire it a bunch.

Ruger has great customer service. If you can't figure it out just send it back. I'd tell them you don't think it's related to the mags themselves given you have the same issue with different ones. Hopefully they'll just have you send it in. They even pay shipping and will often send you a box.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:17:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2021 11:23:33 AM EST by Kskvetski]
The magazine spring seems too strong which is pushing rounds up beyond the flared in claws of the feed lips. You can either trim a spring off with a pair of sidecuts. You have to realize nothing from a mass produced product is gonna be 100% but rather just a high average. All those mags doing that seems odd until you realize they all have new strong springs. Pair that with a slight burr on the feed lip or a slight shift in feed lip angle from the natural variance in mass production and you get a jam. It also sounds like the mag stop latch cutout could be in the wrong spot dimensionally. Too high and the mag would sit under the bolt to strip rounds. Too low of a cut out on the mag and it would over insert and strip rounds and feed high causing nose lift in the chamber.

I am used to adjusting just about everything if it’s small. If the engineers were that good at designing stuff we wouldn’t need mechanics and yet we have mechanics.

I would measure the mag cutout hole on the mags with a caliper. Feed rounds through by hand type by type and see if it’s the rounds. Inspect the problem mags for differences in feed ramp angles, burrs, press down on the follower with a long thin stick to test spring pressure, check the mag follower and inside of the mag for out of spec bends or drag points. It’s not that hard. Somewhere in this you are getting too much upward force on the first 3 rounds of certain mags.

It can also be a high spot on the feedramp that is not visible to your eye but a shift in the feedramp cutout. If it is too steep then returns to the correct feed angle that can cause the nose up lift issue too.

When you load your mags do you have the nose of the round flat down on the next round below it or slightly up at the nose? Slightly up seems to help feeding somewhat. Almost like keeping the top round splayed to be pre aligned upward for the feedramp.

I’ll give you $100 for it for the headache.
Top Top