Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2020 10:38:32 PM EDT
I’m just not enthused with the hi lux 2-7 let on my GSR. I have a USOptic 1.5-6 that is a much better scope.
What would be the better way to go, the xs rail and use my pri rings or order the Ruger 4b30 and 5b30 rings?
And yes I want to mount it like a conventional scop. I just want it nice and low. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Receiver mounted rings will be lower than if they are mounted on the rail, but the rail allows you to keep an iron sight on the the rifle.

Keeping a small objective lens would allow you to low mount a scope on the rail. The rear sight on the rail is not very tall.

If you need measurements for anything, let me know and I can go take some.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, maybe a pic?
What have you got for a scope?
The US Optic 1.5-6 is very low profile and I have PRI low rings. The xs rail would let me keep the sight, but I thought the ruger med rings might be lower.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Heres an older pic I have of it. As it sits right now, it has the rail but no scope. I moved that scope over to my coyote gun recently, and I keep just irons on the GSR as short, light-weight gun.

But as you can see, the scope is as low as it could get, probably 1/8th of an inch or less space between the objective lens and the rail. The rear sight is still back there on the rear of the rail under the scope. The only way to go lower with that objective lens size would have been with one of those Leupold scopes with the cutout on the bottom.

That scope is a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40mm with medium height Leupold QRW rings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that tells me a lot. The low rings on the xs rail should work fine, and I would still have a rear sight.
I’m just not sold on the scout scope. Maybe a higher end scout scope would be better, but I would rather use what I have.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZMV:
Heres an older pic I have of it. As it sits right now, it has the rail but no scope. I moved that scope over to my coyote gun recently, and I keep just irons on the GSR as short, light-weight gun.

But as you can see, the scope is as low as it could get, probably 1/8th of an inch or less space between the objective lens and the rail. The rear sight is still back there on the rear of the rail under the scope. The only way to go lower with that objective lens size would have been with one of those Leupold scopes with the cutout on the bottom.

That scope is a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40mm with medium height Leupold QRW rings.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269116/Capture_JPG-1408468.JPG
View Quote

Forgot to ask, what can you using?
I hav a hybrid and omega 300 in jail.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

Forgot to ask, what can you using?
I hav a hybrid and omega 300 in jail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Originally Posted By ZMV:
Heres an older pic I have of it. As it sits right now, it has the rail but no scope. I moved that scope over to my coyote gun recently, and I keep just irons on the GSR as short, light-weight gun.

But as you can see, the scope is as low as it could get, probably 1/8th of an inch or less space between the objective lens and the rail. The rear sight is still back there on the rear of the rail under the scope. The only way to go lower with that objective lens size would have been with one of those Leupold scopes with the cutout on the bottom.

That scope is a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40mm with medium height Leupold QRW rings.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/269116/Capture_JPG-1408468.JPG

Forgot to ask, what can you using?
I hav a hybrid and omega 300 in jail.

That one is a Silencerco Specwar 762. Big, heavy son of a gun, but the suppression level is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I am certain that OP is being very wise in trying to keep his optics as low as humanly possible.  Doing so is never a bad idea, and a necessity in order to get a good/quick/repeatable/natural cheek weld.

This often results in some juggling of rails/mounts/rings, and perhaps the scope itself.  It can be a tedious process, but is entirely worth doing.

I have had good experience with Leupold QRW rings.  They are QD, and retain their guts, unlike some other QD rings.  I've seen no noticeable zero change after removing/re-installing.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct, trying to get as low as I can. I have a set of the Leupold low qd rings but in 1”.
I’ll use the Trijicon/pri low 30mm rings on the Xs  rail.
I think the USO 1.5-6 is good fit for this type rifle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the new rail and scope mounted. As low as you can get it.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Gonna need a cheek-riser for that rig, IMHO.  ITC makes one.  You can jigger it around quite a bit, since it is configurable in placement on the stock--and removeable.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-15680-itc-cheekrest-customizable-padded-rest-for-fixed-style-stocks.aspx  

Question:  What is the distance between the scope and the rifle--the part of the rifle nearest to the scope?

FWIW, when I mount a scope on this type of rifle, I believe that a gap of 1/16" between the widest part of the scope and the part of the rifle nearest to contacting the scope is the desirable minimum.  More than that dimension causes me, personally, to either use different height rings, or perhaps re-think the scope--and its' max dimensions  that prevent the scope from getting lower.  Much cheaper to buy lower rings, but sometimes it becomes necessary to re-think the too-wide optics.

The point to all my previous blather is to get the optic system working in harmony with the stock (perhaps with added cheek riser) in order to obtain a quick, natural, no-fiddlin' cheek-to-stock-weld.  EVERY TIME.

Try this:  Mount your rifle with eyes closed, and assume a shooting position.  Then open your eyes; looking straight ahead, through the scope.  If you cannot instantly see straight through your scope, with ZERO messing-around, then something is very wrong, and you need to correct it.  If you need to wiggle your head/eye in the slightest, there is room for improvement.

Practically speaking, meaning in hunting or in combat, the "snap-shot" is by definition something quickly done, and there is no time for messing around with an imperfect cheek weld/sight picture.  Such a cheek-weld/sight picture has to be done quickly, naturally, and with no fiddlin' around.

It is essential to get it right without thinking about it.  

I have been singing this song for decades, and few have listened.  Please don't make their mistake.  And please don't think I'm picking on you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top