Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2018 1:12:45 AM EDT
Getting a threaded suppressor host.  As a lefty I decided on a Ruger Mk 4, the ease of cleaning makes it an acceptable host.

I like the light weight of the 22/44 lite, 25 oz, w/ its polymer grip frame and aluminum upper w/ tensioned steel pencil barrel.

But, I like the luger style grip of the regular Mark pistols better, but the only 4.5" threaded barrel they have comes w/ the all steel upper w/ bull barrel.  The black frames of that tactical model is are aluminum though; it comes out to nearly 9 oz heavier, maybe tad less w/ the bottom rail removed at 34 oz!  Almost like a 1911 full-size!

The heavier gun would be more stable for certain types of shooting, and would make for faster followups at a given target I guess, it is a blowback gun after all

But the lite would maybe transition between targets more quickly?  Like if surprising a pack of varmints and try to take a bunch of them out before they scurry off??  I've done this w/ suppressed 9 but it is still awful loud at night.

The can is an aluminum one FWIW, whichever is the specter or the warlock, its been sitting in the safe since before 41p.

FWIW, the purpose would be mostly for shooting suppressed w/ that aluminum can.

The 22/45 lite would be better for the kids, easier to hold up for sure.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a MKIII 22/45 tactical and a buddy just picked up the MKIV. I like that the MKIV has the irons and the rail and is easier to dis-assemble. I use a Gemtech GM22 on mine and my buddy ordered a Rugged Occulus for his. The Gemtech can is super light and the gun isn't heavy at all. I'm not a fan of how the lite pistols look.

A couple of my rimfire critter dispatchers.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 22/45 Lite, and am a lefty.
I shoot it suppressed. And I like it just fine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I think, you're over thinking it.

I bought a MKIV 22/45 Lite for the purpose of suppressing it. (haven't yet, but will eventually) It's a very fun little light wight pistol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You can’t really go wrong with any of the Mark IV’s they seem to have them well thought out and have great accuracy. I chose the heavier Mark IV target with threaded barrel  and love it.  As for the 22/45’s they are fine pistols also but that would mean me getting another style gun that carries a different magazine.
I would stick with the Mark series guns because after market and feom Ruger parts seem more plentiful. YMMV
I may try a lightweight Mark IV in the future, but for now i like the heavier gun.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If you absolutely want to have a Mk. IV grip with the .22/45 Lite upper, buy both and swap uppers!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The heavier gun would be more stable for certain types of shooting, and would make for faster followups at a given target I guess, it is a blowback gun after all
View Quote

The Lite doesn't really jump around in your hand so I wouldn't use that as a pro/con for the Mk IV vs. the 22/45 Lite.

It really comes down to personal preference. I have many examples of both, albeit Mk II and Mk III models - but in the end, I prefer the 22/45 Lite as a suppressor host.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you absolutely want to have a Mk. IV grip with the .22/45 Lite upper, buy both and swap uppers!
View Quote
you are on to something. I googled and confirmed that this works w/ the MkIV even easier than the previous generations.   I guess I will get the lite 22/45 now cause I want the lighter upper and threaded muzzle, and I will get a one w/ a standard almuminum grip later and just swap them out.  I kind of like the tapered barrel standard models anyway.  Or maybe someone will come up w/ an aftermarket MkIV frame, but it may be cheaper to just to buy a whole new standard model.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have HEARD that the Lite model has barrel threads on the barrel shroud and not directly on the barrel.  So there could possibly be alignment issues with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had both and both are great pistols but I prefer the weight of the non Lite models. You can also send the non Lite models out for a chop and re-thread if you desire. Suppressor weight also plays a part in the total package weight.

Either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 22/45 lite would be better for the kids, easier to hold up for sure.
View Quote

How old are the kids? My 6 year old son certainly handles the LITE model (with a featherweight GM-22) better than any other pistol/can combo I've let him try. The kids have a real hard time holding a pistol or rifle up for any length of time. What seems like a tiny difference in weight to us adults can make all the difference to a kid.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
22/45 lite

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How old are the kids? My 6 year old son certainly handles the LITE model (with a featherweight GM-22) better than any other pistol/can combo I've let him try. The kids have a real hard time holding a pistol or rifle up for any length of time. What seems like a tiny difference in weight to us adults can make all the difference to a kid.
View Quote
6 & 2.

It is time to get the 6 yo into shooting, a suppressed lite is def the way to go for now, then I'll get the other grip frame/gun later.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got two of the 22/45 lites, one for my wife and another for my 10 year old son last week.  We had a chance to shoot them both over the weekend with and without the Silencerco Spectre that I rented from the range directly threaded onto both.  I enjoyed shooting them a ton both with and without the suppressor.  My son and wife loved the way they shot, but did think the Spectre was a bit heavy on the end of the barrel so I have a Warlock (from Capitol Armory - Thanks Josh) in the works due to the slightly lighter weight of the aluminum.

My son's arm got tired, but not until more than 250 rounds through the lite.  I didn't find it jumpy at all, and frankly liked it much better than I expected.  My advice, get the Lite and don't look back!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
6 & 2.

It is time to get the 6 yo into shooting, a suppressed lite is def the way to go for now, then I'll get the other grip frame/gun later.
View Quote
I have two MKIII 22/45 LITEs with no concentricity issues using multiple rimfire cans. They run well.

When my son was 2 he was watching myself and his grandpa shoot a standard unsuppressed 10/22 from a bench out in the country. He insisted that we let him shoot. He had real ear muffs on so I sat him in my lap, loaded one round, held the rifle in a safe direction, and let him fire off the round. After the shot I felt him pull on the trigger again but of course the single loaded mag was empty. Without hesitation he turns to my dad and says "More bullets!". He fired off multiple 10 round mags in short order. I knew I had a shooter, shortly after that my wife and I purchased 3 cans from Capitol Armory sending me into a crazy NFA stamp collecting frenzy that I'd never have imagined. It's never too early to introduce them to shooting, safety must be paramount and maintaining control of the firearm is key. That's easy to do with a rifle, more difficult with a pistol. Also, if the kid is just not into it or isn't focused, it is the parent's responsibility to know when to not put them behind the trigger.

Side Note: Kids need a light trigger. Most stock triggers are too heavy and they end up needing to use two fingers to pull it. Installing a nice crisp and light trigger helps them out and you'll benefit as well!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I just went through the same debate, I settled with the 22/45 lite. Didn't want/need the lower rail as I don't need a light for a range toy. Also liked the lighter weight feel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought the tactical only because I wanted the lower rail to mount a small IR laser. The tactical is a bit front heavy with my TBAC 22 Takedown suppressor mounted. I vote the Lite version unless you really want the lower rail.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a 22/45 Lite a couple of months ago. I bought it mainly because I have a Q El Camino coming and had no host.

I like it so far, haven't put a lot of round through it but handles nicely.

i think my 5 & 7 year old G'kids will have fun with it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#21]
1.  Get the MK IV Lite

2.  Add a Volquartsen sear and disconnector.  Drop in a TK trigger and blast shield.

3.  Profit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1.  Get the MK IV Lite

2.  Add a Volquartsen sear and disconnector.  Drop in a TK trigger and blast shield.

3.  Profit.
View Quote
Ditto on the VQ parts no matter which model pistol you buy. The upgrades make them a sweet shooter.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ditto on the VQ parts no matter which model pistol you buy. The upgrades make them a sweet shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  Get the MK IV Lite

3.  Profit.
Agreed
I have the VQ sear, LCI filler, etc
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  Get the MK IV Lite

3.  Profit.
Yep. I bought the VQ Accurizing Kit for my MK IV lite and it is worth every penny. Made it into a completely different gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have Ruger MKI, MKII and MKIII, and a MKIII 22/45 Lite.   My MKII is integrally suppressed, and my MKIII 22/45 Lite lives with a Silencerco Sparrow, which is all stainless steel.  
Of my 5 Rugers, I like the 22/45 Lite the most.  I am competent with the manual of arms of both platforms.  I really appreciate the similarity of the controls of the 22/45 to most full sized pistols.
When hiking, I have the suppressed .22/45 lite on my backpack in a , and it's hardly noticed.
I also use the 22/45 lite for Steel Challenge shooting.  It's light weight is an advantage in target to target transitions.
I don't see the need for the extra weight of the target versions unless you really intend on competitive bullseye matches, or just are married to the magazine release in the heel.

hope this helps.

Danomite!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
So is there any way to purchase a MKIV 22/45 lower?
I’ve got a 22/45 and, being a lefty, would like the ambi safety without buying a new gun if possible.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#28]
22/45 Lite.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread needs a poll
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm left handed and have the MKIII 22/45 lite and it is great suppressed. Now I do have all Tandenkross and Volquartsen parts on it which makes it awesome to shoot. But I've never had any problems with it being too heavy or too light to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I ordered a Mark IV Tactical for myself. I prefer the feeling of the metal frame over the plastic frame. Don't really care much about the grip angle either way.

Much easier to take the bottom rail off later if I don't need it than try to add an aftermarket one. I do some low light shooting and can see myself putting an x300 on it occasionally.

I think practice time is going to matter a lot more than weight differences in equipment, whether it's used in Steel Challenge or any other sport.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I went with the MKIV as the lite just didn't feel right.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So is there any way to purchase a MKIV 22/45 lower?
I’ve got a 22/45 and, being a lefty, would like the ambi safety without buying a new gun if possible.
View Quote
per my understanding of this I recently found:
https://www.wirthweinguns.com/Ruger-Frames.php

Mk 4 rames/uppers are NOT compatible w/ previous generations.  Probably sell it and buy a Mk4.

Anyway, that is a hell of a write up.  Nice thing he did compiling all that info

I ordered the 22/45 lite.

I'll probably like remove the magazine safety stuff & the get one of the Volks...whatever triggers.  I imagine before long I'll know well how to spell that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I personally went with the tactical.

Suppressed or not, the extra weight felt better to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top