Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/23/2021 3:59:11 PM EDT
GD LINK

Overheard a range conversation this AM that Ruger has completed whatever moving of Marlin things to somewhere they are moving things to.  That is a rumor of some alleged progress.

Hopefully they will have some production testing soon.

Keep your feelers out.  I thought the arfcom was better informed than random range guys.

If any of you knows these things and are holding out on us, demerits will be assigned.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently there was a conference call with the CEO of Ruger where he said they had transferred the assets to Ruger's North Carolina facility and were in the process of evaluating production techniques for the Marlin rifles. He thought the first, which would be centerfire rifles, would be available by late Fall. We can hope. I would love to see them produce the 39A and Mountie.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently there was a conference call with the CEO of Ruger where he said they had transferred the assets to Ruger's North Carolina facility and were in the process of evaluating production techniques for the Marlin rifles. He thought the first, which would be centerfire rifles, would be available by late Fall. We can hope. I would love to see them produce the 39A and Mountie.
View Quote

I would love to see them bring back the 39A, but I don't see how feasible it would be for them, it would potentially take sales away from the 10/22. Same reason I see them maybe killing off the Marlin 60.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would love to see them bring back the 39A, but I don't see how feasible it would be for them, it would potentially take sales away from the 10/22. Same reason I see them maybe killing off the Marlin 60.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 39 really isn't a competitor to the 10/22; the 60 and especially the 795 are another matter.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Will be nice to see spare parts available again if they startup the guides, trappers, etc...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The 39 really isn't a competitor to the 10/22; the 60 and especially the 795 are another matter.
View Quote
Very much so this.  I don't see many people who want a 10/22 also listing after a 39, or vise versa.

But I can easily see Ruger killing off a lot of other semi automatic Marlin rifle designs, especially since now they own the rights to the two most popular rimfire rifle designs ever produced.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Far as I'm concerned,  the 60 was a better gun than the 10/22. Hope they keep it going.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely the Model 39 should be made. My wallet trembles to think what it might cost though.

Stainless 1894 .357 mags should be at the top of their centerfire list.

ETA: I haven't heard any chatter about it down here, but I haven't been to a gun store in over a month. Mayodan NC I assume?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
1894 in 500 S&W magnum, 454 Casull, or 460. Come on Ruger!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Way too much pressure for the original design. We talked about this before. I researched it a little after commenting in the thread and none of those are going to work. Not even the .480 Ruger which is a damn shame. That design just seems made for that underappreciated cartridge
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Way too much pressure for the original design. We talked about this before. I researched it a little after commenting in the thread and none of those are going to work. Not even the .480 Ruger which is a damn shame. That design just seems made for that underappreciated cartridge
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could use that super steel they use in Super Redhawks for a .480 Ruger 1894*. I think the .454, .460 and .500 are too long for the action and a whole 'nother issue. Bighorn Armory spent a lot of time figuring out their big rifles.

*A 16", 6 pound rifle with 8 rounds of 400 grain bullets sounds awesome!

Fwiw, I think Rossi is making their .454 92 again; that's probably all you can do without going to a Bighorn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They could use that super steel they use in Super Redhawks for a .480 Ruger 1894*. I think the .454, .460 and .500 are too long for the action and a whole 'nother issue. Bighorn Armory spent a lot of time figuring out their big rifles.

Fwiw, I think Rossi is making their .454 92 again; that's probably all you can do without going to a Bighorn.
View Quote

Would they work on an 1886 Winchester or 1895 Marlin mechanism?  What about a 336 pattern?  Ruger 96, maybe with those 10 round detachable mags that are out these days for the 77/44 or 77/357?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Just read someplace, NRA rag I think. Ruger is working out the bugs and "hopes" to start product late this year. Inventorying the newly purchased equipment seeing what needs work and what they can get up and running quickly.

Wish they would make a 10mm 1894 16 inch trapper. Heck even a 10mm Ruger carbine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The first thing to pop into my mind is I expect Ruger is doing most everything in their power just to produce every Ruger that they can to  meet demand.

How do they fire up a whole new (old ?) line of Marlins if they are pushing the Rugers hard?

I do believe this whole Ruger/Marlin thing will be interesting but I am not holding my breath hopeing it will be right away
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wish they would make a 10mm 1894 16 inch trapper.
View Quote
Grizzly Custom can make you one, but it's $2500 + donor rifle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to see a Ruger Dark model in 44 mag.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I am hoping for the best as I always wanted a 336 or a 94 for years to throw a can on. Really hoping they don't axe the Model 60 and 725 as I still want one of each.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am hoping for the best as I always wanted a 336 or a 94 for years to throw a can on. Really hoping they don't axe the Model 60 and 725 as I still want one of each.
View Quote

I don't see them dumping the model 60. It doesn't compare to the 10/22. I know its only my worthless opinion but I prefer the model 60 over the 10/22 all day long.

I think we will see the 1894 in .357 first, then maybe the 336 in 30-30.. I really really hope they make the model 39. I will be so happy if they produce a nice model 39 for under 1K...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would they work on an 1886 Winchester or 1895 Marlin mechanism?  What about a 336 pattern?  Ruger 96, maybe with those 10 round detachable mags that are out these days for the 77/44 or 77/357?
View Quote

The BHA action is a combination of the 1886 Winchester and the 1892 Winchester. The Marlin 1895 and 336 are the same action. Marlins simply arent that strong of an action. Changing steels might help you marginally but it's still not going to make the lockup any better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Having moved and recommissioned industrial machinery, fall is optimistic, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  350 Legend would also be out of the question, too.

The only real modern round they may be able to do is the 450 Bushmaster as it operates at lower pressures.  I could see Ruger actually doing it, too, as they are one of the more prolific chamberers of the 450 BM.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I am always confused by the people who say they are afraid they will kill off the model 60 because it competes with the 10/22.
Now that marlin is owned by ruger, it does not matter if they sell a 10/22 or a model 60, the profits are going into their pockets. I highly doubt, and will be very very surprised (even dumbfounded) if they kill the model 60. I personally think they would be very stupid to do so.

Lets say you had a oil well that produced a lot of oil and made you a lot of money, and your neighbor also had one that was producing a lot of oil and making them money. Your neighbor was one of your main competitors.  Now lets say your neighbor passes away and you purchase their land with their oil well on it. Are you going to cap off that well and stop pumping oil out of it, just because it used to be your competitor.  No. You will keep pumping oil out of it and now make more money. While it will take some time to make back your initial investment, it will start paying off in the long run.

Ruger bought marlin to make money, not shut down their competitor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I look forward to see how Ruger does with this.  

I may be in for another 1895 and 336...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am always confused by the people who say they are afraid they will kill off the model 60 because it competes with the 10/22.
Now that marlin is owned by ruger, it does not matter if they sell a 10/22 or a model 60, the profits are going into their pockets. I highly doubt, and will be very very surprised (even dumbfounded) if they kill the model 60. I personally think they would be very stupid to do so.

Lets say you had a oil well that produced a lot of oil and made you a lot of money, and your neighbor also had one that was producing a lot of oil and making them money. Your neighbor was one of your main competitors.  Now lets say your neighbor passes away and you purchase their land with their oil well on it. Are you going to cap off that well and stop pumping oil out of it, just because it used to be your competitor.  No. You will keep pumping oil out of it and now make more money. While it will take some time to make back your initial investment, it will start paying off in the long run.

View Quote

I agree. If someone wants a semi auto .22 but doesn't like the 10/22 for whatever reason, Ruger still wants to sell them a gun.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Absolutely the Model 39 should be made. My wallet trembles to think what it might cost though.

Stainless 1894 .357 mags should be at the top of their centerfire list.
View Quote

I would like to see a new production Mountie.  A threaded stainless 1894 in .357 in standard configuration would make my wallet fly out of my back pocket so fast it would start on fire.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

I agree. If someone wants a semi auto .22 but doesn't like the 10/22 for whatever reason, Ruger still wants to sell them a gun.
View Quote
I would guess that if the 10/22 is more profitable per unit than the 60, that would be the determinant factor; why would you sell something that makes you less profit per unit and represents the loss of a potential sale of a higher profit item?  But if the 60 is more profit per unit than the 10/22, they aren't going to discontinue the 10/22 due to history and brand recognition.

Then again, the location of the sales might come into play.  I imagine that the 60 might garner more sales in areas that the 10/22 doesn't due to tube feed vs. magazine.  Not to mention a potentially profitable hedge against any incoming political constraints .

On a different note, I remember that the last 39s that Remington was still producing were custom shop only for $800ish.  It's ridiculous to think that "make them like they used to" was a custom shop proposition for Remington; explains a lot about why they failed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I suspect Ruger will use an investment cast receiver on the 336 and the 1895 lever guns.

That would hold the older Marlins at very high resale prices.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter

On a different note, I remember that the last 39s that Remington was still producing were custom shop only for $800ish.  It's ridiculous to think that "make them like they used to" was a custom shop proposition for Remington; explains a lot about why they failed.
View Quote

Remington just wanted to keep the 39 alive so they could say it was the longest lever action 22 continuously made, something like that. I thought it was mentioned here. The last time I looked at the 39 on their custom shop it was well over $3k
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Remington just wanted to keep the 39 alive so they could say it was the longest lever action 22 continuously made, something like that. I thought it was mentioned here. The last time I looked at the 39 on their custom shop it was well over $3k
View Quote
I'll admit that the last time I checked on the 39a price has been a few years ago , and it was never in stock.  Wouldn't surprise me that the price eventually went astronomical for Remington to produce a 100+ year old rifle design in a way that didn't suck or immediately rust
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I suspect Ruger will use an investment cast receiver on the 336 and the 1895 lever guns.

View Quote

That would be a blasphemy of the highest order, using investment casting on a Marlin lever action.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter

The last 39 I bought was in 1980 for $300 at a WalMart. That was a beautiful rifle and extremely accurate.

Fast forward to more recent times, and I see Remington charging $3K for the same rifle and calling it custom.

Glad Remington paid the price for their stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That would be a blasphemy of the highest order, using investment casting on a Marlin lever action.
View Quote

Yeah, but remember Ruger's castings are insanely strong.  The Marlin will probably be more durable.

I remember reading a article an long time ago where they tested different CRF bolt gun actions to see the strength of them.  I believe it was a Ruger M77 action, Model 70 action, Mauser action, and one other that I can't recall.  They put some really over pressure rounds in all of them expecting the Ruger's cast action to fail first.  The Ruger outlasted all of them.

Their revolvers are well known to be insanely durable.  AND, not many people seem to know this but Ruger casts the frames for the Magnum Research BFR which is strongest production revolver available.

I can understand being frustrated, but in terms of durability this enhances the gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The BHA action is a combination of the 1886 Winchester and the 1892 Winchester. The Marlin 1895 and 336 are the same action. Marlins simply arent that strong of an action. Changing steels might help you marginally but it's still not going to make the lockup any better.
View Quote

Well they are and they aren't. I've heard gunsmiths claim they are perfectly suited for the cartridges they've been chambered for in the past but that some of the magnum pistol cartridges introduced in the past 20 years or so are magnitudes more pressure and simply too much.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would like to see a new production Mountie.  A threaded stainless 1894 in .357 in standard configuration would make my wallet fly out of my back pocket so fast it would start on fire.
View Quote

LOL...mine too! Make it in pretty brushed stainless. No matte. Tired of dull battle ship grey stainless sheen and the animals don't notice the difference anyway. House it in a nice laminate multi-color chestnut brown and grey stock. I'll buy that the second it hits the gun store rack.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I want them to sell matched sets.  Blackhawk and lever action in the same caliber and serial numbers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want them to sell matched sets.  Blackhawk and lever action in the same caliber and serial numbers.
View Quote

I'd hope that Talo and Lipsey's would have Ruger make some sets. A new 1894 (no safety and crescent steel buttplate) and Blackhawk with matching numbers and color case hardening from Turnbull. Maybe a 39 and Single Six set with the same features too.

A guy can dream, right?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#36]
There's another video floating around on YouTube regarding Ruger and Marlin. The plan is to start with the 336, 94 and 95. There's no plan to make the 39, yet.

Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ruger is ALL about castings....  though I do believe their 1911's have a forged slide... but I could be wrong as I think back to their "P" series of double action pistols.

Who knows, it's a "wait 'n see"
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#38]
I was telling my Dad about this move last night, I am hoping for a nice 357 lever action from Marlin again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd hope that Talo and Lipsey's would have Ruger make some sets. A new 1894 (no safety and crescent steel buttplate) and Blackhawk with matching numbers and color case hardening from Turnbull. Maybe a 39 and Single Six set with the same features too.

A guy can dream, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy can dream, right?

I don't think they could keep up with sales the first year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#40]
All the wants are amazing.  I want them to produce a good quality levergun based on the 336/1895 platform in 30-30 first and follow on with the 45-70.  Then they could produce a pistol caliber levergun in either .357, 44 mag or 45 colt. Just one caliber to start.

Just getting the first model out the door and of good quality is a major hurdle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
If the Remington made Marlins were called Remlins what are we calling the Ruger made ones?  Ruglins?  Marlers?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the Remington made Marlins were called Remlins what are we calling the Ruger made ones?  Ruglins?  Marlers?
View Quote

Rumins?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Most likely they will all be called junk.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Ruger bought Marlin for their lever action line up. I don’t think the Model 60 will be included for a long time to come.
As for investment casting, I would be very surprised if the new Marlins weren’t cast. Ruger wrote the book on investment casting and I think it’s unlikely that they’ll start a big forging operation in house when they have the casting down to a science. I could be wrong but I just don’t see Ruger using anything but cast receivers for the Marlins. Their castings have proven to be as strong or stronger than anything else out there.

Edited to add:

We must keep in mind that Ruger bought Marlin’s whole operation and not just the rights to produce Marlins under the Ruger banner. It remains to be seen if Marlin will be run as a separate company from Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Most likely they will all be called junk.
View Quote

Winchester people used to call Marlins junk. Then Marlins outlasted the Winchester before it went overseas. At least Ruger is talking like the Marlin brand will stay American.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I can’t wait.

I want an affordable lever action with a threaded barrel, in the .4x range to utilize my Bushwhacker 46. Kind of leaning towards .44 Magnum, but would consider something larger. Nice would be stainless, Picatinny rail for red dot, and maybe no external safety (even though I can take out the latter in short order).
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I’d like to have a 16” barrel 44 mag that’s threaded and the oversized loop
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve handed my 16in custom 1895 to many people with 4+1 of 430 hard cast hand loads and said let her rip.
Not once has anyone haded me back a empty rifle.  
I like the 8rd deal but most will never empty a tube at once.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I need an 1895G , do you think they will keep the stupid safety?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I need an 1895G , do you think they will keep the stupid safety?
View Quote

As long as there are lawyers on this planet you can bet on it.
It would be nice without them but you can always do a delete.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top