Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2018 8:02:59 PM EDT
Thinking about picking one of these up as a lightweight field gun. How is the reliability and durability of the AR mag version?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
No problems with mine.  A few hundred rounds with no malfunctions.  They are sweet little guns
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If my state goes full leftist I think I'll be picking up one of these.

What is with the barrel finish?

Nitrided, Parkerized, Black oxide?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple thousand rounds thru mine now. Never a hickup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I pulled the trigger.

Use price match on buds to get it down to $425, without the cash discount it was $435 shipped.

Ended up putting it on layaway.

I was thinking of putting a Nikon P-223 on it. Seems like a decent budget scope with a fixed 3x power.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one and I like it.  No problem getting some MOA groups with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 scope on it.  The 10 round mag worked fine but is pretty loose in the mag well.   An old surplus military 20rd mag fit noticeably tighter and also worked fine.

Only problem with mine was protruding primers with factory ammo after firing.  It's going back to Ruger to get the headspace checked.

Oh, check the picatiny rail screws.  Mine were loose.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one and I like it.  No problem getting some MOA groups with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 scope on it.  The 10 round mag worked fine but is pretty loose in the mag well.   An old surplus military 20rd mag fit noticeably tighter and also worked fine.

Only problem with mine was protruding primers with factory ammo after firing.  It's going back to Ruger to get the headspace checked.

View Quote
Usually degrease/loctiite screws out of the box.

Scratch that Nikon, I picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x for only $110.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Mine has slayed some squirrels, still waiting on its first coyote.

It’s like any other ruger, good barrel but crappy stock.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/8DD326EE-10DB-4E5C-AF81-8B3DFE606C54-726792.jpg

View Quote
Is it hollow inside? Wonder if you can fill it with foam or something.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/343566/8DD326EE-10DB-4E5C-AF81-8B3DFE606C54-726792.jpg

It sure hoping magpul comes out with a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
More than likely a .223 spec chamber, what ammo were you running?
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More than likely a .223 spec chamber, what ammo were you running?
View Quote
Possible.  Though one of the reasons I got the Ranch over the Predator was this is supposed to have a 5.56 chamber and the Predator is .223.

Ammo was Federal XM-193 (LC-13) and a mix of a few different handloads.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Just dropped a doe with mine
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#13]
The 193 is known to be a the warm side and American Eagle a wee bit more. An option is to have a smith run a reamer in it but after Ruger looks at it and if they say, nothing is wrong.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 193 is known to be a the warm side and American Eagle a wee bit more. An option is to have a smith run a reamer in it but after Ruger looks at it and if they say, nothing is wrong.
View Quote
I normally don't shoot 193 much.  I was using it to sight the scope.  I normally shoot reloads using 68-77 gr bullets.  If Ruger says the rifle is good to go I'll just shoot and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Great....another to add to my ever-growing list of "wants/needs".  :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I normally don't shoot 193 much.  I was using it to sight the scope.  I normally shoot reloads using 68-77 gr bullets.  If Ruger says the rifle is good to go I'll just shoot and enjoy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the nice thing about Ruger is even if they are wrong and it has issues down the road, they'll pretty much always make things right

My dad still gets free springs shipped to him periodically for his security six and I don't think I was even born by the time they stopped making those.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got mine today.

My barrel is touching the handguard :(

Left has a gap, right part of handguard is really close. Cannot do the dollar bill trick to test free floating.

Don't know if the handguard/stock is warped or what. Contacting Ruger before I sand it.

I tried removing the action and reseating it.

I wonder if something is fucky with the bedding areas.

Only thing I did to the rifle was install an A2 flash hider. Barrel was clamped in the vice with blocks for that. I believe it was like this before, I just didn't notice it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got mine today.

My barrel is touching the handguard :(

Left has a gap, right part of handguard is really close. Cannot do the dollar bill trick to test free floating.

Don't know if the handguard/stock is warped or what. Contacting Ruger before I sand it.

I tried removing the action and reseating it.

I wonder if something is fucky with the bedding areas.

Only thing I did to the rifle was install an A2 flash hider. Barrel was clamped in the vice with blocks for that. I believe it was like this before, I just didn't notice it.
View Quote
Mine is the same way.  It was still pretty easy to shoot some MOA or better groups with reloaded ammo using 68 and 77 gr match bullets so not something I'm overly concerned about.  Really easy fix is wrap some sandpaper around a dowel and do some light sanding in the barrel channel on the side that is touching.

It's at Ruger now getting the head space checked.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably about what mine looked like.  Your aluminum pillars look fine.  It's just a cheap plastic stock.  You can try taking a hair dryer to heat it up and bending it a little or try my earlier suggestion of sandpaper on a dowel rod to add a little clearance.

I'll bet it will probably shoot pretty good as is.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I was thinking of using wood shims so each side is equal while hitting it with heat. I was going to leave it like that for about a week.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Ruger is sending me out a new stock.

Don't think they want me to send the old one in. If that is the case I might play around with/realign/sand the extra.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been thinking, It's possible to open up the area by the magazine release and cut a relief so the whole button can be pressed and not just half of it.

It's also possible to remove some material so an ambi-mag release can be used.

Tempted to do this on the old stock/mess with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine back from Ruger today.  Fast turnaround but the execution could have been a little better.  Paperwork says they changed the bolt and test fired.  I hope to shoot it sometime this week, depending on weather.

The gun was virtually new when I sent it in.  Came back with the finish marred on top of the barrel.  The picatinny rail finish was also screwed up.  You could see where they brushed some black paint on to cover it up.  Nothing earth shattering and since it is a relatively inexpensive beater gun I'm not going to get excited about it.  I am disappointed though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got mine back from Ruger today.  Fast turnaround but the execution could have been a little better.  Paperwork says they changed the bolt and test fired.  I hope to shoot it sometime this week, depending on weather.

The gun was virtually new when I sent it in.  Came back with the finish marred on top of the barrel.  The picatinny rail finish was also screwed up.  You could see where they brushed some black paint on to cover it up.  Nothing earth shattering and since it is a relatively inexpensive beater gun I'm not going to get excited about it.  I am disappointed though.
View Quote
I feel ya. Installing a flash hide I had the rifle turn a bit in the vice blocks. Muh finish

Didn't have it tight enough, or I didn't take the taper into account.

Not really noticable since the barrel blocks were wood.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey, was thinking-measure the "old" brass and ones after you shoot it again to see if any tolerance differences.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#27]
You could do what folks with the Savage Axis rifles are doing and pour epoxy in it to stiffen it.  I grabbed one of the $140 (after $60 rebate) Axis 30-06 rifles* and the stock was really flexible even though it didn't touch the barrel.  I ran a piece of allthread down either side of the fore end, added a second sling stud then poured 30 minute epoxy in it and let it cure overnight.  I still haven't shot the gun yet but it definitely stiffened it up.

* I went in looking for a Ruger American in .243 that was supposed to be on clearance but they didn't have it.  There is no way I'd pay retail for one of those Savages.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ruger is sending me out a new stock.

Don't think they want me to send the old one in. If that is the case I might play around with/realign/sand the extra.
View Quote
Ironically I just got my RARR back from Ruger, it had problems chambering rounds and had broken 2 factory mags.

However, this thread made me think of mine and I went and looked at it and it has the same problem as yours.

Did you just call Ruger and they said they'd send a new stock out or did you email them?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I called them
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I called them
View Quote
Thanks. I'll call them tomorrow.

So you called them and told the the problem and there were like no problem and sent you a new stock or you had to convince them to send you a new one?

And they sent you a new stock and it went on and fit perfectly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ironically I just got my RARR back from Ruger, it had problems chambering rounds and had broken 2 factory mags.

However, this thread made me think of mine and I went and looked at it and it has the same problem as yours.

Did you just call Ruger and they said they'd send a new stock out or did you email them?
View Quote
@HEDP

What kind of chambering problem where you having?

The bolt on mine drags while chambering, and I have to use hulk strength to drag it back over the magazine while extracting the round.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@HEDP

What kind of chambering problem where you having?

The bolt on mine drags while chambering, and I have to use hulk strength to drag it back over the magazine while extracting the round.
View Quote
My issue was rounds going into the chamber but not feeding correctly. You’d have to take the mag out and finger feed the round into the chamber.

A lot of people had similar issue and thought it was a mag issue. But the fact that they added a new barrel and refinished the action makes me think it was the chamber. I know some guys polished their chambers in an attempt to make them work.

Mine feeds perfectly now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#33]
The stock will fit no problem.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#34]
What kind of accuracy are you all getting?  I've been looking hard at a Howa Mini Action, but the price of the Ruger sure is appealing
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I get 1 moa with mine shooting barns 110's
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#36]

I got mine in .300blk.  So far it's been a great rifle.  As you can see in the picture I use the 10 and 20 rnd pmags, a USGI 20, and a Thermold 20. Not pictured is a 20 rnd Heramag that I've also been using.  All have fed and functioned perfectly.  The OP asked this question quite a while ago so assuming he already made his decision.  So far I haven't regretted this purchase one bit and it sounds great with my Sandman K up front especially with subs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Got one on order, should have it in a week or so. I have wanted one for years. Glad I held out until the AR mag model was available.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Picking it up tomorrow!My rifle
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Shot mine today. Only 20 rounds to break it in, sight it in. Tula 55 gn. It was consistently putting 5 rounds into an inch at 50 yards.

I was planning to shoot more but it started raining. If I get a chance I plan to put some federal 55 gn through it tomorrow.

Overall I love the rifle. It's short, fairly light. Smooth action and great trigger.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Shot another 60 rounds of federal. 223 55gn fmj. Point of impact was different than the tula of course,  but damn if it didn't shoot tiny little groups at 50 yards.

The action is really breaking in. I really enjoy shooting this rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top