Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 10:30:34 AM EDT
This rifle has caught my eye. How do you like yours? Pros / cons?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for replies
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Takes mini 30 mags- both a pro and con
Seems plenty accurate for me
Great suppressor host

Not a fan that houses hasn’t come out with an after market stock yet
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Takes mini 30 mags- both a pro and con
Seems plenty accurate for me
Great suppressor host

Not a fan that houses hasn’t come out with an after market stock yet
View Quote
It would be nice to have a different stock. The angle of the rear grip is way too shallow. That was my impression when I handled one at my LGS.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend has one. First impressions towards the action was meh. But after a good 60ish rounds it’s smooth.

Has it setup with a Nikon Reflex and it’s a solid VERY FUN plinker on steel to 200 yards using plain old Tula. Highly recommend it. Just a simple point and shoot rifle the way he has it setup that’s dirt cheap to shoot.

Taking it hog hunting this Sunday!
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Hated mine and sold it.  The bolt is damned near impossible to get out to clean and once you get it out it's damned near impossible to get back in.  I had a real problem with magazines as well.  I bought promag and one other brand.  I could get them seated but I sure as fuck couldn't get them back out.

I'd take a Yugo or Russian sks over one any day of the week.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hated mine and sold it.  The bolt is damned near impossible to get out to clean and once you get it out it's damned near impossible to get back in.  I had a real problem with magazines as well.  I bought promag and one other brand.  I could get them seated but I sure as fuck couldn't get them back out.

I'd take a Yugo or Russian sks over one any day of the week.
View Quote
Sounds like an isolated incidence to that specific rifle.  That is not my experience at all.

Bookmarked, I'll post a picture and build later.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Here‘a a picture of my buddy’s setup:

Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the market for a 7.62 x 39 bolt gun.  I've read a lot of good reviews regarding the accuracy of this ruger being outstanding.  Price is good to.  Honestly, if i could just get over the ugly stock.  I'm leaning toward the CZ 527.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been wanting one of these for awhile. The stock and the Mini30 mags are the downers for me. Really wish it took AK mags and Magpul made a stock for it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My bad OP, I thought you were talking about the mini-30.  I have heard the mini's referred to as ranch rifles.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
A youtuber used the AR magazine well parts for the Ruger 5.56/.300 Ranch to convert his to take 7.62x39 AR magazines?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the chance to handle one of these.

I  don't really care about the appearance of the stock,  but the rear grip is intensely uncomfortable.  It needs to be much closer to vertical.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been wanting one of these for awhile. The stock and the Mini30 mags are the downers for me. Really wish it took AK mags and Magpul made a stock for it.
View Quote
Magpul stock absolutely fits this rifle.  Not even debatable.

The issue is the Magpul AICS magazines don’t hold 7.63x39 ammo, since they are designed for 7.62x51.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The issue is the Magpul AICS magazines don’t hold 7.63x39 ammo, since they are designed for 7.62x51.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would seem to be a problem.

I was looking at Boyd's stocks.  You'd think they'd have one that fits, and their website seems to suggest it does.

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS : You will need round specific magazines for the 7.62x39, 300 Blackout, 350 legend, and 6.5 grendel. Due to dimmensional differences they will not feed or stack properly in a standard 5.56 magazine. Calibers that are not compatible include: .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .243. Calibers that are compatible without round specific magazines: .223 and .204.
This is for the Boyds Pro Varmint Stock inletted for "Ruger American Ranch Short Action AR Magazine".  My first thought was that it'd work with x39 since it's specifically mentioned (though I was assuming I'd have to use 7.62x39 AR mags.  Not ideal, but not a disaster).  However, in email exchanges with Boyd's the tech is telling me it won't work.  Ergo, their website is wrong, so says the person at Boyd's I talked to.

I doubt there will ever be an AICS magazine for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The Magpul stock is very nice and stable.  Much more than the stock Ruger, heh, stock.  As mentioned the magazines are the issue.  However, I am sure there is a creative mod out there to fix that.  i may be the first to do it.  However, the stock fits perfect.

Boyd’s at-one stock fits.  The quality of the stock isn’t as good at the Magpul.  I know that is shocking.  I’ve had great luck with Boyd’s, but this stock is akin to pressed wood to real wood.  Dents easy.  Mag well is tight but totally functional.

I’m going to use this stock to dead, since I already laid down the money.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Magpul stock is very nice and stable.  Much more than the stock Ruger, heh, stock.  As mentioned the magazines are the issue.  However, I am sure there is a creative mod out there to fix that.  i may be the first to do it.  However, the stock fits perfect.

Boyd’s at-one stock fits.  The quality of the stock isn’t as good at the Magpul.  I know that is shocking.  I’ve had great luck with Boyd’s, but this stock is akin to pressed wood to real wood.  Dents easy.  Mag well is tight but totally functional.

I’m going to use this stock to dead, since I already laid down the money.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/BB9CB2AC-BA1B-4998-B323-B9C98EFB7E44_jpe-1266446.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376732/7950563B-1EC4-4D89-ABD8-9CEA88F377A8_jpe-1266451.JPG
View Quote
@Steamedliver

Is that the 7.62x39 mini 30 mag model? Because Boyd’s told me their stocks wouldn’t work.

Or at least the Pro Varmint wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#17]
It’s the Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39, uses the mini 30 magazines.  In fact, that is a mini 30 magazine in it for the picture.

I think the normal capacity magazines look awful in a bolt action.  Those are 5 round magazines.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s the Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39, uses the mini 30 magazines.  In fact, that is a mini 30 magazine in it for the picture.

I think the normal capacity magazines look awful in a bolt action.  Those are 5 round magazines.
View Quote
@Steamedliver

So Boyd’s is full of it and their stock will fit. Boyd’s  has two models of Ruger American Ranch listed. “Short Action Detachable Magazine” and “Short Action AR magazine”. Do you know which yours is?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do you people always want a different rifle - "I'd buy it if it had this feature like some other gun" If you want a 7.62x39 rifle with a pistol grip get a polymer Norinco SKS or an AK.

If you want peak iron curtain quality and insist on bolt action, get a CZ.

This is a cheap, light, and short rifle that plays to it's strengths very well. At least this thread - thus far - hasn't fallen into the usual "if it had irons I'd buy one" (you wouldn't).

The most annoying thing about this is Ruger; this rifle runs steel case berdan-primed ammo with few problems (I've seen some light strikes), it is very annoying they will not fix the much more expensive Mini 30's long-standing geometry problem which causes light strikes and high failure rates with cheap ammo, which is surely the main driver for shooting this caliber.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why do you people always want a different rifle - "I'd buy it if it had this feature like some other gun" If you want a 7.62x39 rifle with a pistol grip get a polymer Norinco SKS or an AK.

This is a cheap, light, and short rifle that plays to it's strengths very well. At least this thread - thus far - hasn't fallen into the usual "if it had irons I'd buy one" (you wouldn't).

The most annoying thing about this is Ruger; this rifle runs steel case berdan-primed ammo with few problems (I've seen some light strikes), it is very annoying they will not fix the much more expensive Mini 30's long-standing geometry problem which causes light strikes and high failure rates with cheap ammo, which is surely the main driver for shooting this caliber.
View Quote
AKs have garbage accuracy. Despite claims to the contrary, I’ve never seen one that was better than 4 moa.

I can’t help that rear grip of the factory stock is uncomfortable to the point of making the rifle mostly unusable to me. It is not unreasonable to make changes to a tool if needed to make it work better for you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The best I've seen at my club with AKM pattern rifles is about 3 MOA, but the usual caveats apply - cheap ammo, the one I shot was iron sights etc, but I can say the 5.45 rifles are very good.

I get it, you just want some customisation, but this is a bit of a niche rifle (although I understand it's sold well) and the aftermarket isn't quite there. For the money you might spend, do look at CZ's 527. They're very nice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@Steamedliver

So Boyd’s is full of it and their stock will fit. Boyd’s  has two models of Ruger American Ranch listed. “Short Action Detachable Magazine” and “Short Action AR magazine”. Do you know which yours is?
View Quote
The x39 isn’t the AR magazine, so it has to be the short action detachable magazine.

I tried to look it up via Boyds website, my receipt isn’t there.  Only my most recent order.

If you decide to get it, go for the more expensive harder stock.  I’m gonna go look at them now.  In fact, I may get the harder stock one day.

edit.  It is the walnut stock, the others are laminate
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The x39 isn’t the AR magazine, so it has to be the short action detachable magazine.

I tried to look it up via Boyds website, my receipt isn’t there.  Only my most recent order.

If you decide to get it, go for the more expensive harder stock.  I’m gonna go look at them now.  In fact, I may get the harder stock one day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Steamedliver

This makes me wonder if they've changed their product line.  The Detachable Magazine model on their website specifically states its incompatible with the 7.62x39 Ranch.  I'm extra confused

Thanks for looking into it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The best I've seen at my club with AKM pattern rifles is about 3 MOA, but the usual caveats apply - cheap ammo, the one I shot was iron sights etc, but I can say the 5.45 rifles are very good.

I get it, you just want some customisation, but this is a bit of a niche rifle (although I understand it's sold well) and the aftermarket isn't quite there. For the money you might spend, do look at CZ's 527. They're very nice.
View Quote
The 527 is on my radar.

I can’t bring myself to pay the going rate for a 5.45 AK. Though I think I’d like one if I ever did go that route.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The 527 is on my radar.

I can’t bring myself to pay the going rate for a 5.45 AK. Though I think I’d like one if I ever did go that route.
View Quote
I wouldn't right now. The AK market is dildos.

However, both PSA and CAI have a 5.45 model slated for release soon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I wouldn't right now. The AK market is dildos.

However, both PSA and CAI have a 5.45 model slated for release soon.
View Quote
The PSA is supposed to have a forged trunion. That’s supposed to be one of the critical parts that sometimes isn’t made well in US AKs. Be interesting to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This makes me wonder if they've changed their product line.  The Detachable Magazine model on their website specifically states its incompatible with the 7.62x39 Ranch.  I'm extra confused

Thanks for looking into it.
View Quote
That is odd.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem could be the Mini30's rear mag release. Both Mini14 and 30 use a mag release similar to an AK. Just a guess

I guess for me it will have to be a Ruger Ranch in 5.56 that uses AR mags to pair up with that sweet Magpul stock in gray
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The problem could be the Mini30's rear mag release. Both Mini14 and 30 use a mag release similar to an AK. Just a guess

I guess for me it will have to be a Ruger Ranch in 5.56 that uses AR mags to pair up with that sweet Magpul stock in gray
View Quote
I'm considering a 5.56 as well.  My concern is that the cheap steel case plinking ammo from Wolf might not shoot as well in 5.56 as it seems to in 7.62x39 in this particular rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm considering a 5.56 as well.  My concern is that the cheap steel case plinking ammo from Wolf might not shoot as well in 5.56 as it seems to in 7.62x39 in this particular rifle.
View Quote
That's a good question. I don't think you'll have any feeding or extraction issues, but those harder bi-metal bullets might not be so good for it at the higher 5.56/223 pressures. In theory it should be no different to an AR. Is it Wylde chambered? I think the Mini is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#31]
As far as I know, no Minis have been chambered in Wylde. I bought my Mini14 new in 2015 and its stamped 5.56 NATO.

I would probably shoot the cheapest steel case I could get. Having the AR mags and not having to source a new style mag just makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
With a 556, you have more options.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

With a 556, you have more options.
View Quote
I agree. Magpul stock, nice scope and mount, and some 10 or 20 round mags for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Love mine. 5 rounds Golden Tiger at 100 yards, 1 3/16" . Second group of the day, not cherry-picked. Bolt is smooth, mags (Ruger 5 rounders) work perfectly.
$389 + tax, NIB.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Love mine. 5 rounds Golden Tiger at 100 yards, 1 3/16" . Second group of the day, not cherry-picked. Bolt is smooth, mags (Ruger 5 rounders) work perfectly.
$389 + tax, NIB.
View Quote
Where did you find one that cheap?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Decisions decisions...

Thinking about going 6.5 instead. It would give me most of what my 243 gives me in a much smaller package with a cheaper practice ammo option.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:52:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Dealer at last Richmond gun show. Commonwealth Arms?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Magpul stock doesnt work with their AR mags. Youd have to get AICS mags to work with that stock
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Magpul stock doesnt work with their AR mags. Youd have to get AICS mags to work with that stock
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I had the same feeling after I heard back from Magpul. I was wanting to do it so bad
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

I know. I had the same feeling after I heard back from Magpul. I was wanting to do it so bad
View Quote
It’s a short action replacement stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Another owner and positive experience for the x39 RAR.

From my perspective, I was looking for something more 'spicy' than shooting my 10/22 at the range and wasn't another AR. So I knew I wanted centerfire, and saw the RAR and also considered a .357 lever.

The deciding factor was price per round and what each round can do.

With a subscription at Target Sports, I can get 7.62x39 at 18 cents a round. If you reload .357 with a 125gr jacked bullet....the math is clearly in favor of 7.62x39mm. Add to that, 7.62x39 has more kinetic energy than you could ever squeeze out of .357, plus the spitzer bullet means you can try ranges to 300m

In my experience, my promags from Midway were reasonably priced and work just fine. I've only shot at 50yds so far, but groups were acceptably tight with my average skills. During the day time the Russkie ammo still produces a visible flash, I just haven't gotten around to installing my .30cal A2 flash hider.

My scope rail needed tightening from the factory, so minor ding on Ruger for that... But, other than that. I like cranking away on the bolt and shooting this thing and letting the steel cases fall. I'm a bit of a brass monkey, so it's nice to spend cheap range time and not feel the need to scrounge after shooting
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Another owner and positive experience for the x39 RAR.

From my perspective, I was looking for something more 'spicy' than shooting my 10/22 at the range and wasn't another AR. So I knew I wanted centerfire, and saw the RAR and also considered a .357 lever.

The deciding factor was price per round and what each round can do.

With a subscription at Target Sports, I can get 7.62x39 at 18 cents a round. If you reload .357 with a 125gr jacked bullet....the math is clearly in favor of 7.62x39mm. Add to that, 7.62x39 has more kinetic energy than you could ever squeeze out of .357, plus the spitzer bullet means you can try ranges to 300m

In my experience, my promags from Midway were reasonably priced and work just fine. I've only shot at 50yds so far, but groups were acceptably tight with my average skills. During the day time the Russkie ammo still produces a visible flash, I just haven't gotten around to installing my .30cal A2 flash hider.

My scope rail needed tightening from the factory, so minor ding on Ruger for that... But, other than that. I like cranking away on the bolt and shooting this thing and letting the steel cases fall. I'm a bit of a brass monkey, so it's nice to spend cheap range time and not feel the need to scrounge after shooting
View Quote
Your use case is basically the exact reason I’m looking at one. I’d go for an x39 AR but they’re always breaking extractors where with bolt action it’s hard for much to go wrong.

I might go 6.5  Grendel though. While Wolf 6.5 isn’t as cheap as x39, bolt action should stretch it further. It would also give me most of what my 243 gives me in a much smaller package.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Update to my prior post...perfect for hog hunting.

OP asked for cons...for $400, none from an end user.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a 7.62 x 39 bolt gun.  I've read a lot of good reviews regarding the accuracy of this ruger being outstanding.  Price is good to.  Honestly, if i could just get over the ugly stock.  I'm leaning toward the CZ 527.
View Quote
Wish the RAR had irons. Other than that it's pretty close to perfect.  Modern day 30/30 leveraction.
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, yes I would.

Even if the barrel was D&T'd for a front sight. That would make me happy. I can handle the rear.

Slap a peep on the rear holes, single rail on the front for a small red dot. Nice front sight.

I'd put a A2 FH on it as well.  
Close to a perfection.   With a good SP bullet (fusion?) med/large game. Deer/pig sized.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#46]
If it came with irons, I’d take them off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine is awesome.  Very accurate with cheap ammo and Hornandy steel case ammo.  They are a little stiff at first but slick up with use.  Handles well and just an all around good rifle.  Perfect truck rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#48]
With Tula ammo, mine grouped about 2.5-3 inches at 100yds. Not super accurate, but they are insanely fun to shoot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top