Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2018 1:34:25 PM EDT
https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26965.html

More money gone!

300BLK too!

https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/26968.html

I stay away from the GD forum, didn't know they had 2 threads on this already!
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the early .300 Blk version of that. I wonder if anything can be retro-fitted?

edit: spelling
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got the early .330 Blk version of that. I wonder if anything can be retro-fitted?
View Quote
I doubt it but i'd be all over one if they could, i imagine people are going to be off loading theirs for the new version
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, the AR craze may be dying but Ruger is on a darn roll!  I just picked up one of their new 9mm carbines (Sweet!) and now this....   There goes another paycheck on a 300 BLK version!

I think Ruger is on to something.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think Ruger is on to something.....
View Quote
If they had some models with iron sights, I think they would really be onto something.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The way AR mags are retained requires a fairly deep magwell for them to sit still, without being wobbly as hell. I am really wanting one, but I'm going to have to see how securely the magazines are held, before I'll buy one.

I say this because while my Mossberg MVP was a pretty decent rifle, I just couldn't get past how wobbly the magazines were, and traded it off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I really want one, but I have the "regular" version in 300BO for deer hunting already, and, to be honest, I don't see any advantage to having more rounds for what I use it for, and I do see some potential downside if the mags don't seat firmly and stay tight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really want one, but I have the "regular" version in 300BO for deer hunting already, and, to be honest, I don't see any advantage to having more rounds for what I use it for, and I do see some potential downside if the mags don't seat firmly and stay tight.
View Quote
I haven't heard of that as a problem for the Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39. Have you had that problem?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If they had some models with iron sights, I think they would really be onto something.
View Quote
I have to agree with you, I like a good set of iron sights, especially for a shorter range carbine style rifle. But, optics seems to be the hot ticket now. Would be nice if they did like they built the new 9mm carbine and gave you a nice iron sight and a rail. On the PCC 9 they did a very good job of getting the ergo's just right so it works well with either irons or optic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure what the facination is with extended mags on bolt action rifles (I get it on the scout rifle, but not on a pure hunting rifle). An extended magazine makes a design that was a joy to carry less so and offers no advantage when hunting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not sure what the facination is with extended mags on bolt action rifles (I get it on the scout rifle, but not on a pure hunting rifle). An extended magazine makes a design that was a joy to carry less so and offers no advantage when hunting.
View Quote
Mostly options, though some folks also dislike the regular American magazine.

You can still get a short 5/10 round magazine, but you have the option of a longer magazine. Also, less magazines to keep around.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got the early .300 Blk version of that. I wonder if anything can be retro-fitted?

edit: spelling
View Quote
I had the barreled action out of the stock on the old one and no way an AR mag out work without opening up the receiver. You can check it out yourself. Pull the action, hold an AR mag to it. Won't fit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd be happy if they just came out with an improved mag for the old ones. I already broke one that had ftf like once every two loadings. The new mag they sent is somewhat more reliable, but still fails about 1 out of 15-20 rds.
The first mag always fucked up on the last or second to last rd. I don't recall the pattern of failure with the new mag. After it was obvious it wasn't going to function reliably I shelved the gun and lost interest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  The way AR mags are retained requires a fairly deep magwell for them to sit still, without being wobbly as hell. I am really wanting one, but I'm going to have to see how securely the magazines are held, before I'll buy one.

I say this because while my Mossberg MVP was a pretty decent rifle, I just couldn't get past how wobbly the magazines were, and traded it off.
View Quote
Thought Tromix was making an extended magwell for the MVP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Ordered the 300 Blk version this week, I'll have it Friday.

Handled a 223/556 version today.  There is no way to retrofit the older versions of the rifle, the new model's bolt is machined to fit over the AR mag.  The 10rd mag is secure, not a lot of wobble, but I imagine a 30rd mag would exaggerate any issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ordered the 300 Blk version this week, I'll have it Friday.

Handled a 223/556 version today.  There is no way to retrofit the older versions of the rifle, the new model's bolt is machined to fit over the AR mag.  The 10rd mag is secure, not a lot of wobble, but I imagine a 30rd mag would exaggerate any issues.
View Quote
You're lucky. I've looked everywhere online and called all of the local gun shops, no one has the 300Blk version. All of the distributors have them on backorder.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're lucky. I've looked everywhere online and called all of the local gun shops, no one has the 300Blk version. All of the distributors have them on backorder.
View Quote
My LGS searched around for a while, found it with Davidson's...which makes sense because they are Ruger's largest distributor and tend to get first shipments of new products.  I have seen a couple of rifles on GunBroker in the past few days.

Picked it up earlier today, I'll be shooting this weekend and making a full report.

I need to get lower scope rings, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The new ranch rifle is not drilled/tapped for irons.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up one of the 300BLK versions tonight on Gunbroker, I watched and an Ohio shop is putting these up one at a time for BIN $380.00 + 25.00 shipping with no CC fees.

Not a bad deal
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I’ve seen that listing. $380 is basically dealer cost on the gun, so I hope they are making some $ on shipping. I’m shooting mine tomorrow, unless the wind doesn’t die down...been windy all weekend. I’ve got 5 different ammo types to try, figure out what the gun likes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I picked up one of the 300BLK versions tonight on Gunbroker, I watched and an Ohio shop is putting these up one at a time for BIN $380.00 + 25.00 shipping with no CC fees.

Not a bad deal
View Quote
You can get it directly from their website for $394 with free shipping. I just ordered one http://www.keelyarms.com/product_p/rug_26968.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got mine this weekend. I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it and sighted it in. I’m really happy with it! I put about 20 rounds through it. All rounds were subsonic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

5 shots of Remington 220 grain.

Attachment Attached File

5 shots of Hornady 208 grain

All shots at 100 yards.

The group with Hornady 208 grain could’ve been better, but it was windy and raining.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Did they fix the light primer strike issue yet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had one of the first ones, and it had light primer strikes. I sent it back to Ruger, and they kept it.

My current one hasn’t had any light strikes, and I’m using the same ammo I used in the first one I had.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah. My first one was horrible. Sent it in, they replaced the barrel.  Still had the issue. I Sent it back again and then dumped it. Could not be trusted.

Good to hear new ones might be better. I was going a different route but the ar mag compatibility is cool and maybe I will give the ranch another try.  I think the Mossberg mvp in 300 was discontinued. Remington is coming out with a new model but regular mags only it appears.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just got mine this weekend. I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it and sighted it in. I’m really happy with it! I put about 20 rounds through it. All rounds were subsonic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184632/36D74FE6-F3CB-4999-ABF5-5BD4D1EA0333-463014.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184632/8A414C28-FDE0-450B-807A-349A2B9F103C-463015.JPG
5 shots of Remington 220 grain.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184632/69F6C114-E45F-4BD9-9D1C-6FD244FA8C8D-463016.JPG
5 shots of Hornady 208 grain

All shots at 100 yards.

The group with Hornady 208 grain could’ve been better, but it was windy and raining.
View Quote
I'm curious what the bolt face looks like hopefully not the same set up as the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#28]
An Austrian company now has a side feed AR mag bolt action.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/04/03/voere-s16-ar-15-magazine-fed-bolt-action-rifle/
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Just picked up one in 5.56 on Saturday, along with a Chicom SKS.

Threw a 1-4x MTAC on it. I'm debating what brake or flash hiders I want to install on it. Might go with a Smith Vortex.

This 5.56 version has me wondering about a .300. A bolt gun in .300 with a can would be pretty quite

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I shot mine today, just to make sure it worked and see how quiet it was. No light strikes at all, but I only used SIG subsonic, S&B subsonic, Magtech supersonic. About 60 rounds total, with a cheap 4X scope I had laying around offhand at 30' indoor range. Silencer was a Dead Air Sandman Ti and it was very quiet with subsonics, sort of pellet-gun-ish. Lots of fun.  Also shot my AR15 SBR, which still throws too much gas in my face.

I really like my Mini14 in 300blk, and the RAR is a great companion. I sort of wish the RAR took Mini14 magazines like the Mini30 model, but eh. I've got more than enough AR magazines anyway.

Now I just need to decide what scope situation to go for. It's not like I hunt or anything, it's just a random project.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Finally got ahold of one of these for myself in .300 blk.  Sounds great to me with a Sandman K out front with subs.  In addition to the 10 rnd pmags I've also used it with a 20 rnd pmag, usgi, and thermold.  So far so good with all mags that I've tried.  I need more trigger time behind it but so far initial impressions are good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I like the concept of a 5.56 AR mag'd  rifle for SHTF and had a Mossberg MVP but felt that the action was too stiff and didn't like how loose the bolt fit.
I didn't put more than 100 rds  through it though.
Accuracy was good.

How does this compare?
I read that the stock has much flex but can be stiffened.

We can't have suppressors  so the 300 BLK looses some appeal.

Are you guys happy with them?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, wait a minute.  This has an AR magwell, so we could put a 9x19mm magwell adapter in there.  Open up the bolt just a titch, and you could shoot insanely fast 9x19mm bullets necked down to .22".  
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/X056ToQh.jpg

Finally got ahold of one of these for myself in .300 blk.  Sounds great to me with a Sandman K out front with subs.  In addition to the 10 rnd pmags I've also used it with a 20 rnd pmag, usgi, and thermold.  So far so good with all mags that I've tried.  I need more trigger time behind it but so far initial impressions are good.
View Quote
It could just be a trick of the shadows, or my eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks like that stock is the OD Green of the Predator stock, not the FDE/Coyote of the Ranch stock.

Can you please confirm what color the stock is on your rifle? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
@concerned citizen, its definitely FDE in color.  My camera phone doesn't take the best pictures. Sorry for any confusion in the color.  I haven't tried the Dead Air Pyro at night yet on this one. I want to do that soon hopefully.

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Got to handle one in 5.56 today, no wobble with the mag, it seemed to lock up tight. The first ranch rifle I have seen with a OD stock instead of tan. It is on my list to buy next.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
My interest is in having a detachable magazine by itself.  Having one in a common, inexpensive form factor with a wide option of capacities sweetens the deal.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey, wait a minute.  This has an AR magwell, so we could put a 9x19mm magwell adapter in there.  Open up the bolt just a titch, and you could shoot insanely fast 9x19mm bullets necked down to .22".  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View Quote
I kinda like the idea of having one chambered in .22 TCM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top