Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 7:40:11 PM EDT
Ruger now selling threaded 357 and 44 rifles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the threading will make them shoot better than 6 in. groups
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe the threading will make them shoot better than 6 in. groups
View Quote
Yep, seriously. Accuracy and QC of these can really suck. My 44 won't ever be mistaken for a benchrest rifle...
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
marlin/Henry Lever gun = much more ammo capacity and no gimpy/$$$ plastic magazines that only hold 4-5 rounds.  And the cost is similar.

I love ruger, but they were asleep at the wheel on this one.  Should've been done a few years ago before they quit making them for a while.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had mine chopped and threaded. I would've bought this model if it had been out a few years ago.

They need larger mags!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
For those that are having accuracy issues, have you contacted Ruger customer service to see what ammo they are recommending?

If they say 125 gr .357 mag loads. and you are trying to shoot .38s with 235's subsonic There might be your issue. (The subsonic loading of super heavies is a rabbit hole for another day.) Or shooting .44 specials in something they are looking to have some smoking hot .44 mag loads in. Also remember that a 6 inch group from a pistol at 100 yards and people are all like not to bad, but 6 inches from a long gun and people are like it is garbage. You are using the same ammo with a different barrel lengths expecting exponentially better results. Are the .357 and .44 inherently that accurate with factory loadings?

Ruger could have easily missed the boat on what ammo to use or what they thought was the "right ammo to use." Then customers are trying things way out of spec for what Ruger was aiming for.

It is also possible that Ruger shit the bed.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For those that are having accuracy issues, have you contacted Ruger customer service to see what ammo they are recommending?

If they say 125 gr .357 mag loads. and you are trying to shoot .38s with 235's subsonic There might be your issue. (The subsonic loading of super heavies is a rabbit hole for another day.) Or shooting .44 specials in something they are looking to have some smoking hot .44 mag loads in. Also remember that a 6 inch group from a pistol at 100 yards and people are all like not to bad, but 6 inches from a long gun and people are like it is garbage. You are using the same ammo with a different barrel lengths expecting exponentially better results. Are the .357 and .44 inherently that accurate with factory loadings?

Ruger could have easily missed the boat on what ammo to use or what they thought was the "right ammo to use." Then customers are trying things way out of spec for what Ruger was aiming for.

It is also possible that Ruger shit the bed.
View Quote
These guns have always been that way and I mean both the 77’s and the 357/44 specifically.  They were never made to be match level accurate which is pretty hard to do in general let alone with those calibers in a bolt gun.

You can search old discussions here and elsewhere about the lengths people went to get them to shoot well. Even with match barrels installed it can still be a challenge.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Now just need a 9mm version...
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now just need a 9mm version...
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm still getting another 77/357 to SBR and suppress once I can afford it.  GoLoud's build is pretty damn sexy and that's pretty much what I'll be copying.
That said, I'm kind of wondering wtf Ruger is doing with the barrel profile on the threaded models.  357 only has stainless synthetic while 44 has stainless synthetic, blued synthetic, and blued with wood.

Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This!
View Quote
I agree - a 9mm and 45acp both would be handy for quiet shooting - I think they wanted calibers they knew were etsablished for medium game - whitetail deer and while supressing those loads at supersonic speed isn't best for quietist shooting - its better than what it would be without.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree - a 9mm and 45acp both would be handy for quiet shooting - I think they wanted calibers they knew were etsablished for medium game - whitetail deer and while supressing those loads at supersonic speed isn't best for quietist shooting - its better than what it would be without.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This!
Plenty of deer have been killed with 9 40 and 45 but those calibers aren't legal for hunting most places. Originally these guns were intended for hunters and that's probably still what most of them are used for. Ruger loves keeping old stuff around and the new changes are pretty minor in the scheme of things where as making a 9mm would basically need a whole new ground up design.

Us weirdos that want these new fangled super tactical suppressed bolt actions are still a pretty small group but growing every day. The 77 is a great rifle but honestly for what most of us want they should build a new gun and throw it in the American line.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
In all actuality they have. Downloaded 350 Legend would be about the same as 357 retuned to get subsonic loads. 450 BM subsonic ammo will be like 45 Colt, which is so close to a 44.  When I saw this thread a few days ago I was really jazzed as I could think of the possibility of 44 mag subs. The more I chewed on it I realized that with my can, and having the American in these calibers already, I could do a lot of subsonic load development for way less money than a new threaded 44. I already have 2 77/44s in the safe. If I could get just the barrel I’d be in. Neat idea but that’s just stupid money for what I already have. The only real benefit I see is you’d be loading with carbide dies. Either way I don’t anticipate any ammo company making much subsonic 357 and 44 ammo so I’d be back to rolling my own anyway.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In all actuality they have. Downloaded 350 Legend would be about the same as 357 retuned to get subsonic loads. 450 BM subsonic ammo will be like 45 Colt, which is so close to a 44.  When I saw this thread a few days ago I was really jazzed as I could think of the possibility of 44 mag subs. The more I chewed on it I realized that with my can, and having the American in these calibers already, I could do a lot of subsonic load development for way less money than a new threaded 44. I already have 2 77/44s in the safe. If I could get just the barrel I’d be in. Neat idea but that’s just stupid money for what I already have. The only real benefit I see is you’d be loading with carbide dies. Either way I don’t anticipate any ammo company making much subsonic 357 and 44 ammo so I’d be back to rolling my own anyway.
View Quote

38 and 44 special are usually subs out of these barrels. In the big defunct 77/357/44 thread I think someone was saying 10-11”  was needed for full powder burn on magnum loads, but to keep specials subsonic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

350 legend might work out to be a cool round but there are thousand and thousand of people that already have 38/357 or 44 mags. As mentioned subsonic 38's are easy. If you already have the newer calibers that's great but way more people are well established in the old calibers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.  I’ve been going back and forth for over a decade about doing a 77/44 as an integral or threaded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#16]
This isn't helping me sell my 77/44, lol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish they would bring back the blued 77/357, I'm not a stainless guy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I had my .357 threaded and cut down a 38spl case and use a 200gr cast 35 rem boolit for subs. I call it  the 38 sucker punch. the rounds works in any 357mag revolver or lever as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had my .357 threaded and cut down a 38spl case and use a 200gr cast 35 rem boolit for subs. I call it  the 38 sucker punch. the rounds works in any 357mag revolver or lever as well.
View Quote

Share you load data if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Share you load data if you don't mind.
View Quote

sure, 7gr of accurate #7 1050fps out of the 77. low 900's out of the revolvers. I found a nib mold for the 200gr 35 rem boolit. I powdercoated them and sized 358. using a hybrid can with the quick single chamber comp  asr mount. I'm real happy with the end product. very quiet, very light and feels small. I used the rounds in a pin match out of my 8 shot 627 and was like cheating.
eta  you can't use +p brass, to thick once trimmed down. regular old 38spl brass works fine. No split cases which is nice. when I get some time I'll play around with the .44 but doubt that it will work out with the twist rate. withe 38 I ring a 6" plate every shot at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

sure, 7gr of accurate #7 1050fps out of the 77. low 900's out of the revolvers. I found a nib mold for the 200gr 35 rem boolit. I powdercoated them and sized 358. using a hybrid can with the quick single chamber comp  asr mount. I'm real happy with the end product. very quiet, very light and feels small. I used the rounds in a pin match out of my 8 shot 627 and was like cheating.
eta  you can't use +p brass, to thick once trimmed down. regular old 38spl brass works fine. No split cases which is nice. when I get some time I'll play around with the .44 but doubt that it will work out with the twist rate. withe 38 I ring a 6" plate every shot at 100 yards.
View Quote

Thanks!

I've been trying to sell my 77/44, but after loading up some subs and playing around the other day, i like it again, lol.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Crossing my fingers to restart my 77/357 SBR quest this winter.  Ideally, I'll get the paperwork on the suppressor going this fall if I can.  

Btw as a heads up if you can find them, the Volquartsen 77/22 sear and oversize magazine release fits the 77/44/357 rifles as well.  The sear may need some slight fitting though.  They might be hard to find however because VQ discontinued them.
TriggerShims.com still makes the bolt and trigger shims for the 77 series as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 3:11:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Giving this a bump
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, but I have found a couple of handloads that shoot around 3MOA, and that's good enough for my use as a deep woods hunter.

QC on several of Ruger's product lines is very spotty, the 77/44 being one of those. A friend had a 77/44 that the bolt would open with the safety in the second position and had feeding issues, mine had to have a shorter front sight to zero the irons, etc. That said, mine is now worked out and has become a favorite hunting rifle. https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/77-44-project/52-513439/
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#26]
The bolt is supposed to open on the second position. All the way back is fully locked, middle is boot unlocked but safe, then fire. The now archived mega thread had a few tips on feeding issues too. Usually it was just a burr in the magazines or something else easy to fix. They don’t like some specific types of ammo though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The bolt is supposed to open on the second position. All the way back is fully locked, middle is boot unlocked but safe, then fire. The now archived mega thread had a few tips on feeding issues too. Usually it was just a burr in the magazines or something else easy to fix. They don’t like some specific types of ammo though.
View Quote

Well aware of how the safety works... His bolt would open with the safety "all the way back". Seemed like a curious QC problem for a company that requires 8# triggers and a freaking novel of warnings stamped into the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Waiting for 9mm or .45 version.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well aware of how the safety works... His bolt would open with the safety "all the way back". Seemed like a curious QC problem for a company that requires 8# triggers and a freaking novel of warnings stamped into the barrel.
View Quote

That sounds like something is broken then, as the safety is supposed to physically interface with the bolt and prevent it from moving.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone seen any in the stores or on gunbroker?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Waiting for 9mm or .45 version.
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has anyone seen any in the stores or on gunbroker?
View Quote

I was playing with both of the new threaded ones at a local shop earlier this week.  They pretty much feel the same even with the extra few oz at the end for the weird threading.  I think they were $775 but am not 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top