Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2018 3:12:08 PM EDT
I freed this 1996 vintage .22LR Ruger 77/22 from lay-away prison today. I gave $354.00 OTD for it. It came with the scope and five mags. I laid it away when I bought my 10-22 Magnum.

I suspect I'll just use it as FTF trade fodder as I don't suspect it will do anything my threaded RARc won't do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I freed this 1996 vintage .22LR Ruger 77/22 from lay-away prison today. I gave $354.00 OTD for it. It came with the scope and five mags. I laid it away when I bought my 10-22 Magnum.

I suspect I'll just use it as FTF trade fodder as I don't suspect it will do anything my threaded RARc won't do.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN7637__2_-532967.JPG
View Quote
If it shoots good...you should keep it.  I wish I had one of those.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Gorgeous.  I see so many nice bolt action rifles and lament that I cannot fully enjoy a decent number them as I am left handed, and left eye dominant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to start looking in pawn shops for one of those...
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
You got a pretty good deal on that.

I was working at the shop i bought mine at and the boss still charged me $400.  I had the barrel threaded and it's a keeper. Probably be one of the last guns I'd ever sell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't ever shoot it, or even work the bolt. If you do be prepared to sell the RAR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I liked those ruger stocks. I feel like I've heard them referred to as "boat paddle stocks" for the obvious reasons. For a hard use rifle I imagine one of those stocks on a stainless Ruger action could be a winning combo, unfortunately in my experience out of the 5 or so older M77 actioned rifles I have shot 4 werent nearly as accurate as they should have been but one was a lights out shooter. For that reason I could never swing getting one of those when these budget rifles nowadays are shooting MOA and under with the right ammo. Let us know how it shoots! Bring a few brands of ammo in case that turns out to be one of the finicky ones.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't ever shoot it, or even work the bolt. If you do be prepared to sell the RAR.
View Quote
I'd never willingly part with my RARc.

No worries, I turned it into a USGI M1911.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same model in .22 Mag. It worked and shot well but decided to move it along when I saw how much they were going for. I rarely used it and sold it for about twice what you paid. Don’t regret it. If I decide I want a .22 Mag again I’ll get a RAR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had the same model in .22 Mag. It worked and shot well but decided to move it along when I saw how much they were going for. I rarely used it and sold it for about twice what you paid. Don’t regret it. If I decide I want a .22 Mag again I’ll get a RAR.
View Quote
I bought the .22 Mag version a year or so after they were put on the market and it was a real dog accuracy-wise.

That said it was before I knew more about how to "make things work" gun wise so it could have been something simple.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
That was a good price I have one myself
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 3 of the 77/22 boat paddle rifles in .22 lr; 2-SS, and 1 blued. I would love to find one in 22 mag.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of those in 22mag.  its got a different trigger in it....maybe a timney?  its been so long ago now that I cant remember.
as a secondary rifle to my deer rifle hunting south Texas for years, I do know that of all the guns in my safe, its easily killed the most and widest range of stuff.
I love that gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the same rifle, bought from a neighbor for $200 and put a stainless weaver rim fire classic on it.The trigger is decent and it does shoot really well.  My only beef is once in a while it will fail to extract. The extractor will slide over the rim for some reason and the case gets stuck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have the same rifle, bought from a neighbor for $200 and put a stainless weaver rim fire classic on it.The trigger is decent and it does shoot really well.  My only beef is once in a while it will fail to extract. The extractor will slide over the rim for some reason and the case gets stuck.
View Quote
Deep clean the chamber and see if that eliminates the problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top