Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2020 9:39:25 PM EDT
Is there anyone out there who makes a budget receiver that can still utilize barrel mounted iron sights? Got my sights set on a tactical solutions 16 inches with back up iron sights. Trying to build me a little survival rifle for varmints.

Thanks

The usual suspects are out of factory takeoff receivers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know what you consider "budget" receivers (I assume not Kidd receiver pricing), but Brownell's BRN-22 standard receivers will clear irons sights.  The Railed versions will not clear barrel mounted iron sights.  I had gotten 3 takedown receivers for $100 each over the past couple months.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know what you consider "budget" receivers (I assume not Kidd receiver pricing), but Brownell's BRN-22 standard receivers will clear irons sights.  The Railed versions will not clear barrel mounted iron sights.  I had gotten 3 takedown receivers for $100 each over the past couple months.
View Quote

I was looking for the brownells standard receivers. They're not on their website anymore.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
BRN-22 Standard top 10/22 stripped receiver.

$90 per receiver and it is in stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
BRN-22 Standard top 10/22 stripped receiver.

$90 per receiver and it is in stock.
View Quote

Your link goes to the receiver with the built in rail.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your link goes to the receiver with the built in rail.
View Quote

Under "Action type" you need to select "Standard".  The photos are the default/general photos for all of their BRN-22 receivers.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you have a solution but I bet you could see the sights over the rail.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
While these are certainly difficult times regarding price and demand, considering all the other parts you would need, to me it makes more sense to start with a beater pawn shop rescue 10/22 for cheap, or one of the bargain $199 base Rugers mass merchandisers sell.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have a solution but I bet you could see the sights over the rail.
View Quote

Some who had the railed BRN-22 complained that they could not see barrel mounted iron sights because the rail are full rails.  Tacsol Xring sights might be different depending on its height, but that is a risk 1 takes.  Aftermarket 10/22 rails, like EGW, have the rails cutout down the middle to allow sight picture with barrel mounted irons.  Tacsol has a rail on their brand receiver, but is intentionally cutdown the middle to allow the use of their own irons.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some who had the railed BRN-22 complained that they could not see barrel mounted iron sights because the rail are full rails.  Tacsol Xring sights might be different depending on its height, but that is a risk 1 takes.  Aftermarket 10/22 rails, like EGW, have the rails cutout down the middle to allow sight picture with barrel mounted irons.  Tacsol has a rail on their brand receiver, but is intentionally cutdown the middle to allow the use of their own irons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Back in the day a lot of the rails had a groove cut down the middle for that purpose but everything has to be picatinny nowadays so you don't see them much anymore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good to know. Back in the day a lot of the rails had a groove cut down the middle for that purpose but everything has to be picatinny nowadays so you don't see them much anymore.
View Quote

I think this is definitely something they should have considered when designing the receiver. As well at having a lot of aftermarket bolts not fitting into the receiver without some relief cuts being made.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Under "Action type" you need to select "Standard".  The photos are the default/general photos for all of their BRN-22 receivers.

https://i.imgur.com/jlVkKOSl.png
View Quote

LOL shit. Just ordered a ruger 10/22 carbine. Oh well. More spare parts

Recipe:

Ruger 10/22 picatinny and seeking rings w/ vortex viper pst 2.5-10 gen 1. TacSol 16.5 inch bbl. Kidd trigger @ 2.5 lbs and magpul x22.

Little survival rifle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#12]
If I was going to build an iron sighted 10/22, I would probably build something in the LTR (Liberty Training Rifle) style using a NDS-25 Rear Sight and NDS-40 front sight base
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I was going to build an iron sighted 10/22, I would probably build something in the LTR (Liberty Training Rifle) style using a NDS-25 Rear Sight and NDS-40 front sight base
View Quote

The NDS rear also works well with the GI Tech Sights front.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/129976/28CBEA70-AE1A-4302-9D18-72DBD64F8E3D-1676688.jpg

The NDS rear also works well with the GI Tech Sights front.
View Quote

That's kind of cool. Never seen an LTR done up in a Mannlicher stock before
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No can do. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot with my weak eye. AK style sights work far better for me than peep-hole. Every AR I own has some kind of dot or optic mounted to it for good reason. ;)

The irons are for backup.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No can do. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot with my weak eye. AK style sights work far better for me than peep-hole. Every AR I own has some kind of dot or optic mounted to it for good reason. ;)

The irons are for backup.
View Quote

I hear ya, kind of in the same but opposite boat myself (Righty that's left eye dom). That's why all my rifles have optics but I've never felt the need for BUIS on my 22s. I've been trying to learn to shoot my long guns lefty which isn't really an issue on the bench but very awkward and unnatural for me in any kind of action type shooting so like you most of the time I'm shooting with my weak eye which is getting harder the older I get.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hear ya, kind of in the same but opposite boat myself (Righty that's left eye dom). That's why all my rifles have optics but I've never felt the need for BUIS on my 22s. I've been trying to learn to shoot my long guns lefty which isn't really an issue on the bench but very awkward and unnatural for me in any kind of action type shooting so like you most of the time I'm shooting with my weak eye which is getting harder the older I get.
View Quote

yike. Thanks for the tip about age. I guess it's time to up the magnification a bit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#18]
3D print that puppy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top