Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2018 5:45:17 PM EDT
I have a Ruger 10/22 stainless rifle from about 2001 that has one the “Sporter” wood stock with checkering. It’s a decent looking rifle and a little classier looking than your run-of-the-mill blued carbine. I shot it yesterday and found that there were a several failure to extracts and light firing pin strikes. The action is getting torn down and cleaned / inspected and any deficiencies corrected.

I noticed that the action is very loose in the stock inletting when the action screw is not tightened and I’d like to glass bed the action to the stock to see if there is an increase in accuracy to be found without going completely down the 10/22 “Rabbit Hole” of modifications.
This is a plinker with a cheap scope to kill more time and aluminum cans than try to make tiny groups at a match.
Is it worth the effort on the original stock to throw a bedding kit at it or just set it off to the side and get a laminated wood or even a Magpul Hunter Stock ?

What is the favorite bedding material for a wood stock these days ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I made flange pillars and then pillar bedded with devcon steel putty. I used acraglass before but I like the Devcon better. I had good results and it was cheap and easy to do. I did it to factory stocks, laminate stocks and to boyds tacticool stock. I did 7 or 8 stocks total. Check out rimfire central. There is a lot of good info there for rimfires.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Acraglass is my preferred type of bedding compound, but that may be just because I have it around to glue pillars in and fix cracks or broken stocks. Works fine, in my experience.

As for replacing the stock, other than the sloppiness of the fit, do you like it? If so, spend the few bucks and an hour and bed the action and barrel. If you don't care for the stock, buy one you like better (either aesthetically or in terms of utility) and sell the existing stock.

Personally, from what you described, I'd glass bed the stock and call it good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top