Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2018 3:32:10 PM EDT
I bought a 10-22 Magnum today. 1999 model. The pawn shop owner said it had feeding issues. I got it for $295.00.

I know the double extractor models were a problem but this one is a single extractor example. Second year production.

I got it home and after removing the barrel band to start a detailed cleaning I noticed two problems. #1...the action was very loose in the stock dur to a loose stock bolt....#2....I checked the V-block bolts and they were both a 2/3 turn too loose. I just snugged them up.

I got it all cleaned-up and back together. It hand cycled just fine.

I read where a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor is a quick fix for weak extraction on the single extractor rifles and just wanted to know if anyone had any experience along those lines.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good find. I'd like one one day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used the VQ extractors before on 22lr rifles with good luck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I've already ordered one along with a VQ Target trigger and Hammer kit.

I won't even try to shoot it till I get those parts in because trigger pull is terrible and comes in at around 8 pounds....90s era "lawyer trigger" at it's most hideous.

I figure as I already have a metal housing to work with I'll just go that route. It's worked just fine on other metal housing 10-22s I've retrofitted.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

When I installed my volquartson trigger, I found a YouTube from Brimstone about where to polish the mechanism.  If you don't already know how to do it, the video was very useful and the polishing seemed to help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Are there any current production 22 mag semi rifles out there in today's market?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I won't even try to shoot it till I get those parts in because trigger pull is terrible and comes in at around 8 pounds....90s era "lawyer trigger" at it's most hideous.

I figure as I already have a metal housing to work with I'll just go that route. It's worked just fine on other metal housing 10-22s I've retrofitted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put in a buffer rod too.  They really quiet the action.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are there any current production 22 mag semi rifles out there in today's market?
View Quote
Savage A22 Magnum comes to mind. Kel Tec CMR-30, as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I finally got all the parts in for my 10-22 Magnum over the last couple days.

VQ exact edge extractor.

VQ target hammer....Reduced the pull from 8 pounds to 2.5 pounds.

A set of low Ruger rings so I could better use a Leupold M8 4X as I like that scope low to the receiver.

I took it down to my range and sighted it in and I'm getting dime sized five-shot groups at 50 yards with Winchester Super X. No issues....Done and done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!  I stopped looking for one a few years back but still would like to have one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice!  Good upgrades.

I always wanted one of these.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
What size was the objective on the original scope?  I'm trying to decide what height Weaver rings to mount a cheapie 3x9x40 thst I have laying around, any suggestions?  It is one of the sporter barrels without a rear sight so I dont need to worry much about thst at least.   I was thinking mediums.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What size was the objective on the original scope?  I'm trying to decide what height Weaver rings to mount a cheapie 3x9x40 thst I have laying around, any suggestions?  It is one of the sporter barrels without a rear sight so I dont need to worry much about thst at least.   I was thinking mediums.
View Quote
40mm.....You can do a 40mm in low rings with no rear sight.

Unlike the rings (two different heights) on the RugerM77 centerfire rifles the 10-22 magnum and 77/22 use the same height rings.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Great deal! I’d love a 10/22 Magnum, seems they usually go for closer to $800
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

40mm.....You can do a 40mm in low rings with no rear sight.

Unlike the rings (two different heights) on the RugerM77 centerfire rifles the 10-22 magnum and 77/22 use the same height rings.
View Quote
Didn't know, thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Do your rifle a favor, and replace the bolt stop pin with a buffer ASAP. Both of the 10/22M's I had bent the bolt stop pin in less than 100rds, to the point where they were cracked and difficult to remove. That heavy ass bolt really knocks the shit out of that pin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top