Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2020 9:05:20 PM EDT
A while back there was a pretty good discussion on rewatting Rpg 2s. There was even a guy on gunbroker selling tubes and launch charges. Did anyone ever build one or know what happened to the guy selling those items? I've got a desire for a new project and this fits the bill, anyone have any info or updates?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to tag this because I am also interested in an rpg.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm working on one right now. Having trouble with figuring out projectiles though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought sarco had them for 100 bucks.  I offered a while back to make replaceable 3d printed nosecones that can be filled with chalk.  Nobody seemed interested though
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jkaritis:
I'm working on one right now. Having trouble with figuring out projectiles though.
View Quote

Where did you get the tube or did you make your own?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not building one, but I’ve followed this closely:

- the RPG2 is feasible because there is NO rocket booster (unlike the 7)

- the original propellant is simple black powder.  You read that right: the Soviets and Chinese version - the B40 - was loaded with black powder.  I do not know the grade.  Careful here.

- the “kits” discusses in this forum are tested and you should buy some.  In the video, they produce zero recoil; even the aluminum ladder they used as a test stand did not fall over.

- do not repair the tube.  Instead, have a new tube turned on a lathe from SEAMLESS tubing.

- besides the hole cut in the tube and bar welded in, most de-mils have the firing pin ground off and / or firing pin hole welded over.

- as for inert war heads, 3D printing is viable.  And there are dummy training versions which you might be able to adapt as inert projos for use in a registered DD - but that adds up to a lot of $$ for each one (not sure how reusable they would be).

- alternatively, do an image search on the RPG anti-personnel projos- those look easier to 3D print if you like how they look (and you could fill them with chalk too I imagine).
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW these are still for sale by GPC in close out for $399 with cleaning kit.  They look near new.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm almost done putting one together.  I have most of what I need to put projectiles together as well, but I haven't started those yet.  I've had the tax stamp for years, and it's finally coming together.

I bought one of the tubes from Rick on Gunbroker (Sorry, I can't find his Gunbroker ID).  It's pretty nice.  You need to buy an inert RPG2 (or two) to harvest all the bits off of it (sights, sling mounts, heat shields, etc).  The most problematic part of it is the firing pin (or more specifically, the bit of metal it goes in).  Most of the inerted RPG2s have it removed, a rod inserted, and they weld the shit out of it.  The bit of metal that holds the firing pin has a goofy vent that goes out the right side... and it's usually filled with weld... so it's really nice if you can get an RPG2 that doesn't have the firing pin hole welded.  FWIW, I found some firing pins for sale somewhere (Sorry, don't remember where), but the hole it goes in is reasonably complex.  I got the RPG2 with the un-welded firing pin from Robert Bowman; he sells on ebay too.  I think he's out now.  I have a second, traditionally inerted RPG2 that I'm using to help get everything in the right place when I put mine together.  I think in a pinch you could make it like an RPG7 firing pin; only a nerd could tell it wasn't correct...but it would work.

I'm going to make some practice rounds that use no original PG2 components, and I'm going to make some anatomically correct rounds that look identical to the real deal.

My project has been slow, and will continue to be slow, but I'm ready for final assembly.  I'll post here when it's done.

Here is a pic of the firing pin detail from a commie manual on Ebay.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my Panzerfaust tube from the gentleman that sold the RPG2 tubes and they are definitely safe for use with cannon grade black powder

Link
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I remember seeing that guy on gunbroker but can't find him anywhere now. If anyone has his contact info let me know.

BTW, awesome job on the panzerfaust! It looks like it will be a ton of fun to shoot when you're done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah I remember seeing that guy on gunbroker but can't find him anywhere now. If anyone has his contact info let me know.

BTW, awesome job on the panzerfaust! It looks like it will be a ton of fun to shoot when you're done.
View Quote

Same guy who makes the motor kits: [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a hold of him, thanks. Let the project begin!
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
EODINERT That's a great cut away of the firing pin mount. I'll see what I can draw up. I have a welded up one for the OD dimensions. Any one have the retainer nut that they can mic and get the thread pitch?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick sketch I have the hole for firing pin drawn on another layer. It's just a guess with out a good part to copy. I'm thinking of just drilling the vent hole. maybe a series of .125" holes 3-4 of them.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Has anyone bought from RTI?
The Russian RPG-2s are described as excellent condition, FWIW.
I know their reputation is a bit spotty.

I’m looking for a fun DD project for the lathe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd like to know what optic they are referring to? They don't show what it is in the picture and the only optic I've heard of is a rail for a polish Gen 0 NV optic
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Numrich Gun Parts has RPG 2 for 399. Stay far away from RTI.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#17]
My launcher is done.  I got it back from the welder today.  I can try and get thread pitch info for your drawings.

I'll post some pics in a few days when I get a chance.

Time to start working up my projectiles.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys who have registered RPG2 what are you putting down on the manufacture info, serial number etc?

I have not done a DD before only SBR & SBS.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys who have registered RPG2 what are you putting down on the manufacture info, serial number etc?

I have not done a DD before only SBR & SBS.
View Quote

]

Just like a suppressor, you put down yourself as the "maker" (not manufacturer) and whatever serial number you want that meets the regulations.

They are making these from what are basically 80% receivers.  Not firearms.  So you are the original maker and there is no serial number to transfer over
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

]

Just like a suppressor, you put down yourself as the "maker" (not manufacturer) and whatever serial number you want that meets the regulations.

They are making these from what are basically 80% receivers.  Not firearms.  So you are the original maker and there is no serial number to transfer over
View Quote

But one could use the number on the grip correct?

Also what’s the overall length?
And caliber ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#21]
An RPG should be 40mm. Not sure on overall length, google it or wait for a better answer.  You could use the number on the grip but you would still have to engrave it on the tube because that is the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
An RPG should be 40mm. Not sure on overall length, google it or wait for a better answer.  You could use the number on the grip but you would still have to engrave it on the tube because that is the receiver.
View Quote

I had gotten word that someone has been approved to register it on the grip.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grip is Form 2d.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But one could use the number on the grip correct?

View Quote

As long as it doesn't have any cyrillic in it, yes.  Its caliber 40mm; just google for the length, if you're dropping a form 1.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BTW these are still for sale by GPC in close out for $399 with cleaning kit.  They look near new.
View Quote

Let’s break it down Barney style.
What is GPC?

Who has a link to seamless tubing?
How about parts kits? Whatever else misc stuff...
I see the $399 sale from Numrich. So take the trigger off that and get new seamless tube?
@dominion21
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Let’s break it down Barney style.
What is GPC?

Who has a link to seamless tubing?
How about parts kits? Whatever else misc stuff...
I see the $399 sale from Numrich. So take the trigger off that and get new seamless tube?
@dominion21
View Quote

From my basic math your $2,610.00 to build out a PG-2  and have 1 round to shoot. Thats not counting powder and primer shipping fees etc. (does include stamp)  

If you can weld and do the assembly of the tube yourself you can save $1800.

But its still $166 a shot if you can not find the inert warhead.

If you can find it after the first shot and use it again then your looking at $35 per shot not counting powder and primer which is very reasonable to me.

For me this would be the most bad ass DD one can have and shoot. I do not have a DD stamp yet and just trying to get into the game. For me the 40MM seems like the cheaper and more practical option.

The gentleman who is selling the new tubes and can assemble them for you can be found here

Think I may buy a kit to hang on to for now and maybe build one out. But the 40MM will come first as of writing this.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

From my basic math your $2,610.00 to build out a PG-2  and have 1 round to shoot. Thats not counting powder and primer shipping fees etc. (does include stamp)  

If you can weld and do the assembly of the tube yourself you can save $1800.

If you can find it after the first shot and use it again then your looking at $35 per shot not counting powder and primer which is very reasonable to me.

For me this would be the most bad ass DD one can have and shoot. I do not have a DD stamp yet and just trying to get into the game. For me the 40MM seems like the cheaper and more practical option.

The gentleman who is selling the new tubes and can assemble them for you can be found here

Think I may buy a kit to hang on to for now and maybe build one out. But the 40MM will come first as of writing this.
View Quote

Eighteen hunted fucking dollars to weld?
I’ll unsubscribe from this...
Is there any sort of build tutorial, anything on YouTube, basic directions?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The email from his page bounced back as undeliverable
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
The Panzerfaust is a much more affordable option, I built mine under 1000 including stamp and ammo is $60-100 per shot

However the rpg-2 is a much more ergonomical design

I think the more popular this idea becomes, there will be a market for someone to make some hard rubber practice warheads with metal or wood stem
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Panzerfaust is a much more affordable option, I built mine under 1000 including stamp and ammo is $60-100 per shot

However the rpg-2 is a much more ergonomical design

I think the more popular this idea becomes, there will be a market for someone to make some hard rubber practice warheads with metal or wood stem
View Quote

Where did you find the trigger and Sight mechanism at?

And I too agree. If hard rubber or 3D printed warheads can be made the cost will come down. The Idea if a 3D printed chaulk field round sounds fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Where did you find the trigger and Sight mechanism at?

And I too agree. If hard rubber or 3D printed warheads can be made the cost will come down. The Idea if a 3D printed chaulk field round sounds fun.
View Quote

Modified a Sarco reproduction trigger
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I paid under $300 to have mine welded by an FAA approved aerospace welder who is also a shooter and arfcommer....but all of the fittings to weld on to your new tube come off of the old tube...and they're welded on (and the firing pin hole is likely welded closed).  Removing them is a painstaking process of grinding off welds, without cutting the part you are trying to remove.

Not including rounds or tax stamp, you should be able to build one for under $2000.  If your inerted RPG doesn't have an un-nerfed firing pin weldment, you can buy one from Rick for $75.  Shooting it is going to be expensive... Really expensive.

Tube:  $1000
Firing pin weldment: $75
Welding: $300
Firing pin assembly: $20
Interted RPG: $500

Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#33]
@eodinert

Quoted:
I paid under $300 to have mine welded by an FAA approved aerospace welder who is also a shooter and arfcommer....but all of the fittings to weld on to your new tube come off of the old tube...and they're welded on (and the firing pin hole is likely welded closed).  Removing them is a painstaking process of grinding off welds, without cutting the part you are trying to remove.

Not including rounds or tax stamp, you should be able to build one for under $2000.  If your inerted RPG doesn't have an un-nerfed firing pin weldment, you can buy one from Rick for $75.  Shooting it is going to be expensive... Really expensive.

Tube:  $1000
Firing pin weldment: $75
Welding: $300
Firing pin assembly: $20
Interted RPG: $500
View Quote

To clarify, inert RPG from Numrich for $399
Tube?? This is 37” seamless tube. That costs a grand?
Fuuuuck

Tell me about reloading for these. It’s black powder right? How much black powder are we talking about?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@eodinert

To clarify, inert RPG from Numrich for $399
Tube?? This is 37” seamless tube. That costs a grand?
Fuuuuck

Tell me about reloading for these. It’s black powder right? How much black powder are we talking about?
View Quote

Sorry I’m late to answer; looks like everyone beat me to it.

Tube: weld original is option 1.  Option 2 is a replacement tube:  seamless / DOM at a minimum.

Propellant:  yes - simple black powder.

Not so simple:  correct grade (likely a course “cannon grade”.  Anyone know for certain?).
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I used cannon grade black powder as it’s the safest in my opinion
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Less than six ounces of cannon grade.... that you're going to put next to your head and pull the trigger.  I was originally going to weld together several inerted tubes, but in the end I decided to go with a modern steel seemless tube.  It's your head.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Less than six ounces of cannon grade.... that you're going to put next to your head and pull the trigger.  I was originally going to weld together several inerted tubes, but in the end I decided to go with a modern steel seemless tube.  It's your head.

View Quote

Doesn’t it have to be under 4 ounces for the propellant charge? Unless you register the warhead as well?

“rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces”
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#38]
It's not a rocket.  The rpg-2 is a recoilless cannon that fires a fin stabilized projectile.

The rpg-7 launches it's projectile in the same way,  except the pg-7 projectile has a "sustainer" rocket motor,  giving it increased range and accuracy. That's why people are making rpg-2s and not -7s.

Though if you do have a live rpg-7, you could likely launch projectiles with only the booster or with a smaller sustainer motor
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's not a rocket.  The rpg-2 is a recoilless cannon that fires a fin stabilized projectile.

The rpg-7 launches it's projectile in the same way,  except the pg-7 projectile has a "sustainer" rocket motor,  giving it increased range and accuracy. That's why people are making rpg-2s and not -7s.

Though if you do have a live rpg-7, you could likely launch projectiles with only the booster or with a smaller sustainer motor
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you know if the ATF defines what a missile is? When dealing with the ATF, it doesn’t have to be logical for them to make a stance one way or another

Edit: by that token, it would mean that the following does not apply to recoilless launcher

A missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than 1/4 oz.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I believe the atf defines a missile the same as a projectile. But I'm not the one writing a book on this topic, you are...
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#41]
While you are wrong about it not applying to a recoilless cannon.  But if you read the definition of destructive device, it states that the four ounces of propellant only applies to "explosive, incendiary, or poison gas rockets having a propellant charge of more than four ounces"

So according to the USC,  you could make an rpg-7 with fully loaded,  non-exploding rockets without each round being a DD
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I believe the atf defines a missile the same as a projectile. But I'm not the one writing a book on this topic, you are...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My book is on the technical side of it (not a law book) and I’m not a lawyer....
I was unable to determine the definitions of rocket and missile under the law or wether they use them interchangeably. Without that Information, it’s unclear how the law is determined. It doesn’t matter how we interpret the difference between the words, it matters how the ATF does which is not always logical. Not sure why the rudeness was needed or atleast came off that way  

I’ve tried to reach out to the ATF for clarification if the panzerfaust even requires a stamp but to no avail . Any error or misinterpretation of the crappy wording and lack of response could mean a lengthy prison sentence hence why I have only load to under 4 ounces until ATF clarifies what the rules are

The definition of a "destructive device" is found in 26 U.S.C. § 5845(f). The definition reads as follows:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas, (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (D) missile having an explosive charge of more than 1/4 ounce, (E) mine or (F) similar device.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Doesn’t it have to be under 4 ounces for the propellant charge? Unless you register the warhead as well?

“rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces”
View Quote

I’m familiar with traditional reloading ie 7000g per pound of powder so 7000/16oz is 437g per ounce. So either 4 or 6oz is either 1750g or 2620g of powder per charge?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Let’s go back to seamless tubing. It’s 37” long, right?
@eodinert did you buy locally or online and ship it that you might have a link?
Who’s got some links I can check out?
I don’t know what DOM tube is
@dominion21
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#46]
@swampfoxoutdoors

Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t get it, let’s break it down
I just linked powder valley black powder for $19/pound. By my math in this thread, 6oz is like 2600g so like $8 in powder
Remington Kleanbore primer
Plus...?
A 3D printed projo? Is that the inert warhead you’re describing?
How do you get to $166?
What is the $35 number?
What else?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@swampfoxoutdoors

I don’t get it, let’s break it down
I just linked powder valley black powder for $19/pound. By my math in this thread, 6oz is like 2600g so like $8 in powder
Remington Kleanbore primer
Plus...?
A 3D printed projo? Is that the inert warhead you’re describing?
How do you get to $166?
What is the $35 number?
What else?
View Quote

This is taken from a message off of strum concerning the PG2.

Ok, good question. Best price for original projectiles is 100. ea from Sarco. Booster cartridges are 3/95.00 less black powder, projectile adapters which hold the ignition primer and flash hole are 35.00 ea. Adapters are made of steel and  reusable. Booster cartridges are consumed.

$100 for inert war head
$31 for Booster cartridge
$35 for projectile adapter

$166 + powder and Primer

After the first shot you are looking at $31 per shot + powder and primer "IF" you can find the warhead and adapter and if they are intact enough to fire again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#48]
And yes 3D printed warhead would bring the cost down from $100 to cents on the projectiles cost. That is if its rugged enough to be launched.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Let’s go back to seamless tubing. It’s 37” long, right?
@eodinert did you buy locally or online and ship it that you might have a link?
Who’s got some links I can check out?
I don’t know what DOM tube is
@dominion21
View Quote

DOM is 'Drawn Over Mandrel'.  It makes a strong, uniform, seamless tube.

I bought it on Gunbroker.  When he's got some, that's where he sells them.

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#50]
We did have a kick back with the length of the RPG2. We put the barrel length the same as overall length and got a kick back. We just shortened barrel length by 1/4" and it went through.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top