Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 12:16:10 PM EDT
Picked up a new Rossi R92 in .45 Colt last week and took it out to shoot on Thursday. Ran a few different loads through it and while I am still getting a feel for it and playing with the sights, it shoots pretty good overall.

One thing that did happen was with some 200gr Oregon Trail RNFP lead bullets over 6.0gr of Trail Boss I would get my face peppered with gas and crud coming out the back of the action on each shot. A couple shots had some pretty good sting to it and made me glad I was wearing glasses. I noticed the brass from these rounds were pretty heavily sooted along the body. I am guessing that the load is not strong enough to push the brass out for a good seal and causing this to happen. Anybody else run into this? Is it anything to be concerned over? I have had other lever actions (Winchester 94s, Marlin 1895 and 336 and some Henry rimfires) over the years and do not remember this ever happening before, but this is my first Rossi or 92 design. I did not feel anything on any of the other loads I tried, using 250gr and 300gr lead or 300gr jacketed bullets. The 300gr jacketed bullets over W296 are some thumpers though
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one in 44 and shoot subsonic through a silencer, my brass is dirty and sooty with titegroup but I've never noticed any gas leaking back while shooting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
45 colt is a low pressure round, lots of them don't seal the chamber.  Seems normalm
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is the brass and cartridge, not the gun.  Your heavier loads expand the brass to effect a seal, the lighter loads do not.  You can help some by annealing the brass before reloading.  The softer brass will seal with lighter loads.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep not enough pressure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi- I am using 200gr RNFP lead bullets with 6.2 of Trailboss.  In my 73 and 66 the cases come out dirty, but there has been no issue with gas/particle blowback.   In those guns, that load is very accurate and works well in CAS.  It would be interesting load some rounds with higher charges and see if that seal the case and kept them cleaner...black powder charges are mess too. FWIW.   v/r W
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My Rossi 92 .45 has a generous chamber. Reloaded cases from H110 loads don’t always size back small enough to fit into one of my Ruger Bisleys. If your chamber is also generously sized, that might also make it more likely to spit back at you due to a poor seal. I still love that gun though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I don’t use Trail Boss in my 45 Colt for that very reason. I now load with faster powders to make sure the brass seals the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem is the brass and cartridge, not the gun.  Your heavier loads expand the brass to effect a seal, the lighter loads do not.  You can help some by annealing the brass before reloading.  The softer brass will seal with lighter loads.
View Quote

What this dude said. It’s the ammo. I run 250gr over 8.0 of unique and never had a single issue.

The Rossi 45’s are some of the best out there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My Rossi .45 doesn't spit back into my face.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Trail boss, anneal my brass and have not had any issues.

The chamber is oversized and I sent it back, hopefully they will fix it. They did with my 357.

Also crimp? Add some more crimp, maybe that extra delay will build a little more pressure and cause the brass to expands before the bullet leaves the casing?

Maybe use a faster powder?

I use lil gun for my 275gr loads and have had no issues. (That’s a much slower powder. )

Of course other than the oversized chamber.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top