Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2019 11:20:36 PM EDT
Want to do a 92  in 44mag scout scope layout get me your best thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a NOE mount.  Sits really high. Don't care for it.

Eta.  I have a giant freakin head and I need to do almost a chin weld to use it.   Trs25 was the rds.  I can't imagine using anything higher.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Steve's Gunz......he has a picatinny mount that replaces the rear sight so you can mount a red dot.

I found one years ago in a LGS that came from the factory with the rail already on it.

As I've gotten older red dots are my friend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done the red dot mount by Steve's on my 45LC.  It is extremely functional and works awesome.  That being said...  I just can't get use to the look and feel though.  I'm going with Steve's peep sight instead.  Back to old school.  My old eyes suck too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Want to do a 92  in 44mag scout scope layout get me your best thoughts?
View Quote
The '92 carbine is a shorter range (up to about 200yds) design which is spoiled by a 'carry handle'.  A tang sight with a target aperture or a bolt mounted rear peep sight is a much better approach.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Eyes want let me use red dots anymore. Irons are getting hard to use also. A scope keeps me in the game for a little while longer. Do not hunt any more just plinking and shooting stuff.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eyes want let me use red dots anymore. Irons are getting hard to use also. A scope keeps me in the game for a little while longer. Do not hunt any more just plinking and shooting stuff.
View Quote
I'm 72, far sighted with astigmatisms, and wear progressive lenses so I feel you.  However, still don't use a scope on my original style leverguns as I use a tang rear sight on both my 24" 357 Mag Rossi '92 and 45 Colt Uberti '73 with a target aperture to see both the front sight and target clearly as the result of the optics phenomena called Depth of Field (DoF).  With a tiny aperture held close to the eye, the distance from it that is all in focus is very large.  It's how a pin hole camera can be in focus from a few inches to hundreds of feet.  I use the target tang's aperture to shoot bowling pins at 200yds with both.

My 357 Mag Rossi '92 and 45 Colt Uberti '66 carbines have traditional sights on them so I use another way to take advantage of increased DoF to see both sights and the target clearly.  I add a simple, free piece of tape with a tiny hole in it to your shooting glasses where you sight through to aim.  The tiny aperture close to your eye increases your DoF enormously too.  Tinting your shooting glasses yellow also helps with sharpening edge definition as well as it causes your iris to close down for more precise aiming. (Which is why you should never wear sunglasses when shooting as they cause your iris to enlarge, reducing your precision vision.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top