Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2021 5:25:06 AM EDT
I have searched high and low for info but am falling short.

I have acquired a rifle through some trading and am looking for info on it.

It is made by Davide Pedersoli. It was imported by Navy Arms Co. The barrel is chambered in 44 Mag.

It appears to be this rifle - https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/product/rolling-block-baby-carabine-20

However, they do not list 44 Mag as a chambering and googling does not bring up 44 Mags in any of their guns.

Anyone have any info or ideas?

ETA: The front sight (cross hair) says Dockendorff

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a sign on, try asking over on cast boolits.

It could be a rechamber of a gun imported with the barrel cut back or an entirely different barrel swapped in.  

I see similar project cast bullet rifle projects over there.  They have a single shot sub forum.  I would look and ask there.

Neat gun, I am more a low wall guy.  Would love a light rifle in 25-20 but my eyesight kind of has leaning away from old style iron sights.

It reminds me the short Winchester trapper model low 1885s that CDNN was surplussing for several years.  The short barrel big caliber versions languished forever until recently.   Miroku made but well built.  I wish they made a few more variants of the 1885 again.  I have a Taylor Arms/Uberti in .38-55 that is cool but not my ideal, long heavy barrel, straight grip stock and the crescent butt.  Would much prefer a lighter barrel, full or half pistol grip shape prince of wales i think is close, basically like the old winchester and browning shotgun grips, and a flat or slightly curved shotgun style butt pad instead of the deep crescents.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Pedersoli has made a number of items which they don't currently.  Rather than just looking at the list of things which they make right now you could contact them. and ask.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Would much prefer a lighter barrel, full or half pistol grip shape prince of wales i think is close, basically like the old winchester and browning shotgun grips, and a flat or slightly curved shotgun style butt pad instead of the deep crescents.
View Quote

The lighter barrels are nice for carrying but the heavy barrels provide nice stability, especially if using shooting sticks. Especially important is your suggestion of shotgun style buttplates, as the curved buttplates really suck for the heavier calibers.

It might be a good idea to do a chamber cast as the only possible calibers using the original bore size would be a 43 spanish or similar caliber. With a replacement barrel the sky is the limit but extractor would likely need replaced. Any chances of getting a pic of the chamber end and putting a 45/44 round next to it for size comparison?

edit for spelling
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The lighter barrels are nice for carrying but the heavy barrels provide nice stability, especially if using shooting sticks. Especially important is your suggestion of shotgun style buttplates, as the curved buttplates really suck for the heavier calibers.

It might be a good idea to do a chamber cast as the only possible calibers using the original bore size would be a 43 spanish or similar caliber. With a replacement barrel the sky is the limit but extractor would likely need replaced. Any chances of getting a pic of the chamber end and putting a 45/44 round next to it for size comparison?

edit for spelling
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Would much prefer a lighter barrel, full or half pistol grip shape prince of wales i think is close, basically like the old winchester and browning shotgun grips, and a flat or slightly curved shotgun style butt pad instead of the deep crescents.

edit for spelling

I will have some brass and projectiles tomorrow for it. I can take some pictures then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is a picture of the chamber with a new piece of brass.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the case rim flush with the barrel or does it protrude.... If it is was flush with the barrel, I think it has been either rechambered or rebarrelled like to 45/70 or similar. Those longer and larger rounds had a bit bigger rim to catch the extractor... But really, a chamber casting would solve a lot of issues... a quick way to determine cartridge length without a casting is to use a long slim piece of wood, run it up the side of the chamber, stop pushing when it hits the rifling and mark the slim wood piece where it exits the breech face, then measure the length....
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The case seems to fit fine and pulls out with the extractor properly. I think it is chambered for 44 mag.

Maybe a barrel swap was done.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Whish I could help, that's a very fine looking rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd contact Pedersoli and ask them.  Chances are it's just a chambering they aren't currently offering.  Neat little gun!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I would love that in 45 colt. I'm off to gun broker dammit!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

edit for spelling
View Quote

43 Spanish would be an original rolling block. This is a navy arms replica. They did make a 44 mag at one time. Navy arms also sold the barrels.

ETA. Is the trigger guard and barrel band brass? That's the way the were sold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I know the originals were 43 spanish... I have a couple of them... But the the way I was phrasing the question was that a 44 mag or something else that would extend the range of carbine... A 43 spanish would fit the bore size but not (as the OP has indicated) the rim size. My thought, based on the pics, was that the rim of the 44 mag was being slipped over by the extractor. so I was thinking that the round for the carbine would be larger than a 44 mag... As the OP indicated, the 44 mag casing is extracted very well by the current setup so my opinion is that he does indeed have a 44 mag chambered carbine. My bad....
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

43 Spanish would be an original rolling block. This is a navy arms replica. They did make a 44 mag at one time. Navy arms also sold the barrels.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit for spelling

Yes they are brass.

I am thinking I will need to put it in a gun vice to bore sight it to get this rear sight somewhat lined up. It has an ass load of travel....... it has no markings at all to keep track of changes.

I am thinking a 50 yard zero and then hold overs past that? I will have to look at 44 mag ballistics / drop charts, out of a barrel this length.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah I know the originals were 43 spanish... I have a couple of them... But the the way I was phrasing the question was that a 44 mag or something else that would extend the range of carbine... A 43 spanish would fit the bore size but not (as the OP has indicated) the rim size. My thought, based on the pics, was that the rim of the 44 mag was being slipped over by the extractor. so I was thinking that the round for the carbine would be larger than a 44 mag... As the OP indicated, the 44 mag casing is extracted very well by the current setup so my opinion is that he does indeed have a 44 mag chambered carbine. My bad....
View Quote

Cool, I only have one 43 Spanish. Brass is expensive! Only bought 20 rounds years ago. Think they were almost $5 each.

I didn't think about the bore size but you are right.

OP  you could use a checkering file to start a few marks for elevation. Also you can approximate the height of a rear barrel sight with tape, or clay then set the tang sight close. But bore sighting would be best.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes they are brass.

I am thinking I will need to put it in a gun vice to bore sight it to get this rear sight somewhat lined up. It has an ass load of travel....... it has no markings at all to keep track of changes.

I am thinking a 50 yard zero and then hold overs past that? I will have to look at 44 mag ballistics / drop charts, out of a barrel this length.
View Quote

I don't know man, I'd feel VERY handicapped with a 50 yard zero. My .44 RM carbine is zero'd at 100.
Ballpark averages, (not knowing what bullet weights you intend to shoot) but what I get, shooting 240's out of 18" barrel is about 2 1/2" low at 125 yds. and about 5" low at 150 yds.  Those are leaving the barrel around 1700 fps.
You can flatten that curve with 180 gr. bullets if that matters to you and of course make it worse with 300's.
I'd hate to see where I was hitting at 150 if I was zero'd at 50.

ETA if my memory is working correct I think I'm a little over 1" high at 50 yds.

Also ETA, that's a neat little rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top