Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2021 3:44:57 PM EDT
Looking to get started putting in my form 1 for my 3rd book so I can start build it next year.

I’m looking at a para or commando version of the RPG7 or the Polish RPG-76

Both will require a more then 4 ounces of propellant

The term “destructive device” means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or
View Quote

The ammunition on both designs will use rocket motors(APCP), the RPG7 will also have a Pyrodex booster stage.

I’m debating if I need to form 1 per round, and whether I should leave the explosive check box unchecked since I won’t have an explosive payload above 1/4 ounce and neither propellants are considered explosives from my understanding.

Before I write to the ATF or just submit the form 1 per round, is there a NFA attorney that could help clarify what I am supposed to do in regards to a non explosive rocket but has over 4 ounces of propellant
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not an NFA attorney, but the plain text of the statute says "any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces".
My take is that a chalk, signaling, or marking rocket is not a destructive device.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an NFA attorney, but the plain text of the statute says "any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces".
My take is that a chalk, signaling, or marking rocket is not a destructive device.

YMMV
View Quote

This is my understanding, as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]

My recent communication with the ATF would back up the idea it is not a destructive device however it’s confusing they stated put firearm on the form 1  which wouldn’t be required if it’s not a DD

Maybe someone with a law background can chime in
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#4]
There have to be some exemptions that you can use

Aerotech makes motors with over 20 lbs of propellant that don't need to be registered as DDs

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess it is a destructive device even though it’s not a destructive device lol

I’m going to have to waste my time registering a rocket and see what happens

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top