Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2020 5:51:00 PM EDT
Its completely my fault for not cleaning it sooner, but here I am- muzzle-side end cap is stuck. Very stuck. I soaked it for several hours in a cup of Parts Blaster, tried heating up the tube, and the only thing I have to show for it is a marred end cap.
Just soak it longer? Soak it in something besides PB? Build a little alter of empty cases and ammo boxes and make a sacrifice?

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Strap wrench?  
Torch to warm tube and dip cap in cold water?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Read my post from a few days ago:
Suppressor Soak

I bet that it'd screw right off after that...
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Kroil maybe
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guy1074:
Read my post from a few days ago:
Suppressor Soak

I bet that it'd screw right off after that...
View Quote

2 parts mineral spirits/ 1 part ATF....I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
On my rimfire can with unshielded k-baffles at the end of a shooting session I like to take the caps off while it is warm and knock the stack loose.  Then lightly put it together with an obvious gap.  Usually that reminds me to take it down at home and get the loose stuff off before tightening back up.  The front cap is usually on the cleaner end so just breaking it loose and retightening probably would have helped.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
What can are we talking about?

Heat cycles with the torch, some strap wrench and the 50-50 ATF - mineral spirits usually, eventually works.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
STOP.

What model can are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HansohnBrothers:
What model?  If this is an Element 2, stop!
View Quote

Just out of curiousity, why? What's different about an Element 2 over any other .22 can?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
nope- its a Thompson Isis 22...

I sent him a message to see if they have a tool to fit the knurling on the cap for the future...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The Element 2 rear is permanently attached, not designed to be removed.
View Quote

True,

But it''s just red loctite.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The rear doesn't come off the ISIS 22.  

EDIT.  I see you're trying to take of the front cap, not the rear.  My bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxQsoROTwY
View Quote

Ah, nope- you're right, its the muzzle end....well that shows you how long it’s been since I took it apart- I forgot the muzzle-end end cap was part of the mono core! -And maybe why just standing it up in PB didn't work...the whole mono core is probably seized up.
I've got it soaking in the MS/ATF mixture. I'm going to leave it in there for a full 24 hours to give it time to work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE:

Ok, so using what I had on hand, which was 'low odor' mineral spirits and Valvoline synthetic ATF, after a 24 hour soak = zero improvement. I held onto the can as tight as I could, and gave the front cap some pretty good wacks with a rubber mallet- nothing. I covered a piece of scrap 2x4 with a shop towel and then came down pretty good onto the front cap, hoping to force the core out...nothing.

I don't wan to try any more force or mechanical options yet.

So I got brave and ventured to my friendly neighborhood Walmart. Ugh. The place looked like a yard sale- shelves empty and long lines. Oh, well, I need supplies.
No mineral spirits. Crap. Ok, next best thing? Seafoam. I grabbed a quart of their SuperTech ATF for high mileage cars, I figured it has more detergent.

The can is now soaking in that mixture. I'll give it another 24 hours in there, and maybe after a few hours I'll give it a couple smacks for good measure...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Perhaps try some heat to expand the tube.  There is basically a lot of surface area of a mixture of lead and carbon forming fillets where the edges of the monocore meets the tube.  If penetrating solvent won’t break it loose, then heat and impact are your next weapons. You just have to make sure you have a good grip and fitment so nothing slips and damages the metal.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
You need a Vox Blox and a vise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Vox Blox have proven to be very handy. 
View Quote

Just ordered one!
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]

And shipped!  Thank you for your business!
View Quote

you guys rock!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#22]
EDIT:

Brake Parts Cleaner for the win!! ...the 'friendly' kind, even.

But, I believe a couple threads on the endcap deformed during the procedure...

I don't have any tap/die sets that large to chase the threads with, so I guess I'm going to have to send it back to TM for some TLC...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
A thread file might clean it up. Either a square one with different thread pitches or any 60-degree triangle file.  Thread files are safer if you are impatient and energetic.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You need a Vox Blox and a vise.
View Quote

I can attest the the Vox Blox work, and have 3 different sizes to assist in cap removals.

I also use one of these to push out unshielded K baffles. Works like a charm.

https://www.silencercentral.com/products/baffle-removal-tool/

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A thread file might clean it up. Either a square one with different thread pitches or any 60-degree triangle file.  Thread files are safer if you are impatient and energetic.
View Quote

I'm looking at these now- might be an option since it's only 'sticking' a little short of being all the way tight...

UPDATE:

A little patient, tedious work with a triangle file and a thread file and I got it completely fixed!!

Now to find my anti-seize....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top