Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 12:37:36 PM EDT
Tell me how you are using your NV googles and rifle mounted thermal to scan, shoot. Your set ups and how you are using the two in conjunction. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I sort of do the opposite.

Head mounted NODs - Used for getting into position.  Also used for initial scanning.

Handheld thermal monocular - Used for scanning.  Thermal is great at detection, so that’s what I use it for.

Rifle mounted NV (clip-on) - Used for ID and engaging.  The clip-on is capable of way better resolution than most thermals, so with the increased ranges possible in ND, it makes ID a lot easier.

IME, scanning with anything mounted to a rifle is a PITA.  A tripod can make things a bit better, but not ideal.  This may change if you’re hunting in an area with very narrow fields of fire, but if you’re scanning a large chunk of land, holding a rifle to your eye for an extended period of time just to scan gets old quick.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
PVS-14 and Trijicon IR Patrol thermal helmet mounted on D-14.  Move and scan using both.  When a target is spotted, disconnect thermal from helmet, eotech quick disconnects from rifle, thermal connects to rifle and is ready to shoot.
Rifle with IR laser so it is still shootable with the NV while the thermal is hooked up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PVS-14 and Trijicon IR Patrol thermal helmet mounted on D-14.  Move and scan using both.  When a target is spotted, disconnect thermal from helmet, eotech quick disconnects from rifle, thermal connects to rifle and is ready to shoot.
Rifle with IR laser so it is still shootable with the NV while the thermal is hooked up.
View Quote

Still sorting my setup but came up with similar. Pvs14/coti on left eye. Nox18 on right eye or neck lanyard. Laser on rifle with index clips filling in top rail except where the nox goes.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So I will be using binos, thinking of getting a Hogster; range no more than 150 yard; scan from fixed position alternating from nv to scope. Mostly pest type critters. Also how would this work for for setting up a defensive position in shtf?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Scanning through a scope sucks especially with binos on ur head. For that usage I'd do a single pvs14 and a breach on ur head and the hogster on ur rifle.

Eta The hogster would be fine for scanning in your hand just sucks scanning when mounted.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgot to mention binos has coti.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you plan to do with the binos when u shoulder your rifle? Flip all the way up or rotate just the right tube? I've found it easy to get jammed up shouldering my rifle with just a pvs14 on the left side of my bridge. When my form is perfect it works but most of the time I'm clanging metal on metal and feeling stupid. Its much easier to flip all the way up but then u lose your NV plus have a taller outline.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a coti as well but I think of it as a early warning system for when your mobile vrs being of much use while stationary. I think the pig hunters use the hogsters as hand scanners as well as scopes so maybe they can chime in. You would just have to practice mounting it until you can do it on auto in the dark.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
COTI on the binos, REAP on the rifle and Skeet-IR for scanning longer distances than the COTI is good for. Flip the binos up to scan with the Skeet and then go the REAP if it's time to shoot

If pigs come out of nowhere I can see them with the COTI and make a laser shot with the rifle as well
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
COTI on the binos, REAP on the rifle and Skeet-IR for scanning longer distances than the COTI is good for. Flip the binos up to scan with the Skeet and then go the REAP if it's time to shoot

If pigs come out of nowhere I can see them with the COTI and make a laser shot with the rifle as well
View Quote

What Tx-Zen said with a little modification.  I use DTNVS or BNVD with a COTI for movement and SA.  If I see something I need to investigate I roll up the right tube and use a hand scanner (mine are FLIR).  If I need to move I roll down the right tube, get in position, then roll it up and transition to my TWS.  I have an IR laser on the rifle as backup in case I jump up something really close, but I suck using that.  I'm pretty low speed so I haven't clanked the left tube on the TWS too bad yet.  I use two different setups depending on how far I've got to walk.  The heavier one is a piston 6.8 AR with a IR Hunter MkII 35mm.  The lighter one is a POF Revolution DI with a REAP 35mm.  I prefer the form factor of the IR Hunter, but that rifle is tiring to tote.  Almost all my night hunting is hogs, with a very occasional yote thrown in.

I'd really like a Skeet....it's only money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have your tws on a riser? My nox seems about the same as my aimpoints so I'm thinking 1.5". Messing around with things it seems like everything would line up better if I placed it on a half inch spacer but haven't got around to ordering one yet. At current height my head  feels like its too angled and to get the proper position quickly is difficult "clang clang"
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Totally depends on how you hunt.  Stationary or in a blind?  Or Walk and Stalk?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Totally depends on how you hunt.  Stationary or in a blind?  Or Walk and Stalk?
View Quote

Stationary, blind.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have your tws on a riser? My nox seems about the same as my aimpoints so I'm thinking 1.5". Messing around with things it seems like everything would line up better if I placed it on a half inch spacer but haven't got around to ordering one yet. At current height my head  feels like its too angled and to get the proper position quickly is difficult "clang clang"
View Quote

I do not have a riser, but I move slow.  My head is more tilted than "normal," but all I have to see is the reticle on the screen.  I already know what I'm shooting from the NV/COTI or hand scanner.  Also, I remove the eye cup off the device and use a flip up cover until I need to get on the scope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Stationary, blind.
View Quote

How much open terrain around your blind?

Based on what you’ve said so far and 150 yard max.  I’d use a handheld thermal to scan on approach to the blind.  Use NODs to navigate there and get in position.  Then use a combination of NODs and handheld to detect and identify targets.  The shot you can make with the rifle mounted thermal.  Would work equally well for fixed defensive position.  The handheld thermal was the game changer for me.   If anything is in the area, you will never go home dry.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Trying to stay with just the nv/coti and mounted thermal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd recommend something in the midrange magnification wise. Nox35  or the equivalent hogster if you wanna save some coin. After doing a lot of research I think the 3+ magnification ends up with too much narrow of a fov for scanning purposes.  The noxs have a nice adm quick disconnect so you can have it in your hand scanning and quickly pop it onto the rifle to shoot. I also ordered one of the 3x magnifiers for my 14 and will probably get a 5x also if I'm happy with the 3x. I don't know if these will work on your binos but another option for scanning and together with a good illuminator could provide the ID ability that the thermals lack in some circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Single PVS14 with COTI. Pulsar Helion Pro hand scanner. Pulsar Trail 2 XQ50LRF scope.

Helion is in a shoulder camera sling down at my side and I walk with PVS14 and COTI to detect on white outline mode (works well out to 300 meters). Sometimes I leave the COTI running and sometimes I am turning it on and off. I have the COTI batt pack which lasts all night on constant on.

Once I detect something with the COTI I raise the Helion to my open eye to ID. Then I raise the weapon scope up and again confirm ID and range it. Then shoot.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
You'll notice everyone keeps mentioning hand held scanners. I bought my nox with the thought that it would be on my bridge or on my rifle and I now use it mostly as a hand held. Point being get a scope that will work on a rifle but is small/light enough to use as a hand held because you will most likely end up using it for for that a lot like the rest of us. The versatility is why I spent the $ for a nox and am going to get a second.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're really stationary in a blind or fixed position you can easily scan your engagement area with just a rifle thermal. A lot of the pig hunters I have shot with don't even wear their nods on a stalk, they just periodically check with the rifle to see where the pigs are
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I sort of do the opposite.

Head mounted NODs - Used for getting into position.  Also used for initial scanning.

Handheld thermal monocular - Used for scanning.  Thermal is great at detection, so that’s what I use it for.

Rifle mounted NV (clip-on) - Used for ID and engaging.  The clip-on is capable of way better resolution than most thermals, so with the increased ranges possible in ND, it makes ID a lot easier.

IME, scanning with anything mounted to a rifle is a PITA.  A tripod can make things a bit better, but not ideal.  This may change if you’re hunting in an area with very narrow fields of fire, but if you’re scanning a large chunk of land, holding a rifle to your eye for an extended period of time just to scan gets old quick.
View Quote

Agree in detail.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You'll notice everyone keeps mentioning hand held scanners. I bought my nox with the thought that it would be on my bridge or on my rifle and I now use it mostly as a hand held. Point being get a scope that will work on a rifle but is small/light enough to use as a hand held because you will most likely end up using it for for that a lot like the rest of us. The versatility is why I spent the $ for a nox and am going to get a second.
View Quote

18 or 35?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#23]
35mm. Gotta crunch the numbers but probably in a month or so. Gotta get a hold of Robert and see what the lead times are. If its long I'll probably through on a card. We crunchin money together to pay off wifys car an then be debt free.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried a bridge with I2/thermal and it was to much for my brain. I found myself closing one eye for I2 and the other for thermal. Trying to fuse the 2 images did not work for me at all.

Now it's I2 for navigation and hand held thermal scanner with Reap-Ir 35mm on my rifle. When summer arrives I refuse to wear a helmet so then it's thermal only. That still works great for me as I usually keep the roads and paths clear. I can use the thermal to keep me on path.

I've also done a lot of driving while using hand held thermal spotting out the side windows of my truck. Killed many hogs this way and is my preferred summer time hunt style.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I find thermal/nv on bridge pretty easy with the nox but am trending away from it due to weight. So much more comfortable to run a 14/coti and have nox on a lanyard. As long as I keep the lanyard short the power cord from the back of my helmet still reaches and I just pop it up for a look whenever something blips on the coti.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]
E-Coti for the win, after I get my WP DTNVS it will be next on the list.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you used a coti/ecoti?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been moving with dual NV that articulate. I articulate the right eye up and look through the REAPIR on the rifle to scan and target.

Yes, I am pointing a loaded rifle around at possible targets. Safety is on till time to shoot.

I do this hunting by myself.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have you used a coti/ecoti?
View Quote
If you are asking me, I've not used either one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're pretty limited devices. I would try to find someone who let you try before dropping that kind of coin. They fill a niche but the prices on the ecoti are crazy and from the reading I did they're not much of an upgrade on the original coti. I sometimes question whether mine was worth the 3k I paid. I'd see if there are any coti still for sale and buy one. You can always sell and upgrade later if you want. I'm sure those binos are worth every penny but the ecoti not so much imo. I'm the poors so if your crazy rich disregard
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Missed that you had the coti.  The coti is less resolution than a dedicated handheld thermal but should function similarly on detection.  The rest of the advice stands.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They're pretty limited devices. I would try to find someone who let you try before dropping that kind of coin. They fill a niche but the prices on the ecoti are crazy and from the reading I did they're not much of an upgrade on the original coti. I sometimes question whether mine was worth the 3k I paid. I'd see if there are any coti still for sale and buy one. You can always sell and upgrade later if you want. I'm sure those binos are worth every penny but the ecoti not so much imo. I'm the poors so if your crazy rich disregard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sometimes act like I'm rich.

A coti would just help me spot things when on the move with the I2, I would still stop often to scan with the handheld thermal.
The coti should do this adequately and your right, the $$ for the e-coti is up there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Strictly offensive kit had said on the hide they had a couple coti for 2500. That was a bit ago but I didn't see it on there site so maybe they still have. Might be worth a call. The coti is discontinued so whats out there is it. I got mine from europtic but don't know if they still have stock but I saw they had raised the price from when I bought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
HOGSTER R 384 1.4-5.6x25mm Ultra-Compact Thermal Weapon Sight.  Can this be used in daylight?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
HOGSTER R 384 1.4-5.6x25mm Ultra-Compact Thermal Weapon Sight.  Can this be used in daylight?
View Quote
Yes, 24 hours a day
I use thermal when hunting during the day a lot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you're really stationary in a blind or fixed position you can easily scan your engagement area with just a rifle thermal. A lot of the pig hunters I have shot with don't even wear their nods on a stalk, they just periodically check with the rifle to see where the pigs are
View Quote

My MG3 ring mount-based custom setup makes 360 degree scanning about as easy as it gets with a rifle-mounted TWS, but I do consider getting a handheld from time to time to have the option of staying off the gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I sometimes act like I'm rich.

A coti would just help me spot things when on the move with the I2, I would still stop often to scan with the handheld thermal.
The coti should do this adequately and your right, the $$ for the e-coti is up there.
View Quote

Thats what I use for a COTI and it really excels at it. Kind of a one-trick pony but there is nothing else out there that does it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my runner up to the nox. Seems to bring a lot to the table for the price.

And yeah they work during the day but not as well. There's nothing like the image clarity on a cool dry night. A lot of the reviews say the hogsters deal better with the heat and humidity than similarly priced competition.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My MG3 ring mount-based custom setup makes 360 degree scanning about as easy as it gets with a rifle-mounted TWS, but I do consider getting a handheld from time to time to have the option of staying off the gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450/AAB51BCF-A56A-403E-ACD2-469FFD323AE7_jpe-1932602.JPG
View Quote

I love it. That's bad ass

I found a very useful shooting bar for the mule. Works great for patrolling and being able to hit hogs quickly

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thermals have one big problem in the day which is the sun will wash out the display. A good eyepiece on the thermal helps and so does staying in a shadowed area with overhead cover

You have a lot more hot things in the day obviously and because of that animals don't pop out nearly as fast due to the amount of hot things you see. It can definitely take you longer to acquire animals

In some places like west Texas rocky areas thermal can become unusable due to the clutter, but generally yes, it works in the daylight also
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1587095316660-489.gif

I love it. That's bad ass

I found a very useful shooting bar for the mule. Works great for patrolling and being able to hit hogs quickly

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20201212_105813-1864369.jpg
View Quote

Thanks.  That shooting bar is nice too.  The supply on these MG3 ring mounts has all but dried up which is unfortunate as I would like to fab another one of these setups to fit in the back of my Can-Am Defender for when I don’t want to drive my truck into a field.   Having a stable platform that holds the rifle on its own so far has kept me from really looking hard at a scanner.  I know you know your stuff and would be interested in what you’d recommend if I wanted to add a scanner to my options.  TWS now is an IR Hunter MkIII 35mm- scanner doesn’t need to be at that level but wouldn’t want any junk.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Did someone say MG3 turret LOL?

I met 9mmcarbine a few years back and copied the idea from him. I have two turrets and have wanted to make a dual set up but just have not got around to it. Like mentioned, the supply has dried up and the last one I got came directly from Germany.

The set up makes scanning with the rifle easy and comfortable.

My set up in the bed of my truck...

My son Hunter scanning...

9mm scanning...

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/450/AAB51BCF-A56A-403E-ACD2-469FFD323AE7_jpe-1932602.JPG
View Quote

Found my next mod to my Diamondback.  Is that all self fabricated?  does the ring mount actually spin?  Or do you just rotate our body around?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Found my next mod to my Diamondback.  Is that all self fabricated?  does the ring mount actually spin?  Or do you just rotate our body around?
View Quote

@ljh824

The ring mount rotates 360-degrees and the rifle sits in a pintle that swivels 360-gedrees and swivels up and down.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@ljh824

The ring mount rotates 360-degrees and the rifle sits in a pintle that swivels 360-gedrees and swivels up and down.
View Quote

Not ever did I ever think of a personally owned ring mount.  Now I don't think I can live without one.  Thanks for the info Bob
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to the OP for the slight thread derail...

I designed this system but paid a welding shop to fab it up completely out of aluminum to help with portability. The 4 corner “posts” come out and the top and bottom frames are solid one piece.  This entire system fits inside the bed of the truck underneath the Diamondback bed cover for travel.  As Bob already said, this is a fully functional ring mount that spins 360 and the pintle mount provides full traversing and elevation.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I tried a bridge with I2/thermal and it was to much for my brain. I found myself closing one eye for I2 and the other for thermal. Trying to fuse the 2 images did not work for me at all.

Now it's I2 for navigation and hand held thermal scanner with Reap-Ir 35mm on my rifle. When summer arrives I refuse to wear a helmet so then it's thermal only. That still works great for me as I usually keep the roads and paths clear. I can use the thermal to keep me on path.

I've also done a lot of driving while using hand held thermal spotting out the side windows of my truck. Killed many hogs this way and is my preferred summer time hunt style.
View Quote

I’m really considering one of those Raptor Tactical headcrushers

https://tnvc.com/shop/raptor-tactical-sentinel-skull-crusher/
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Are those new? They look like a definite improvement on the night cap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top