Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2021 8:47:18 PM EDT
I know i have been asking a lot about shortish cans for SBR 5.56. The local shop that that is well regarded with suppressors really are not a fan of the Turbo k. They say it is just still really loud on 10.5 5.56. I know this is just their opinion. So i went back to reading and recently came across the Rex Silentium MG7.  I am kind of intrigued by it. It is a little larger diameter than the YHM, 6 baffles instead of 4. It is a little heavier and longer but still pretty small. Also pretty cheap.

I went in to have them order one for me from Hansohn Bothers and the shop was basically like "we have never heard of that company (Rex Silentium), dont buy it". I was a little turned off by this answer but went along with it. I think honestly being a "suppressor shop" they like quiet cans and are not a huge fan of K cans which i do understand, but still. Regardless they are a good shop with good service and are entitled to their opinion. No disrespect to them.

But does anyone have any experience with the MG7? Hansohn sent me a email recommending i go .264 bore so i can use it on my Grendle and cut down on gas blow back on 5.56.

Actually in lenght and weight it is almost identical to the regular YHM Turbo T2 more so than the Turbo K
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a MG7 308 and it's probably my favorite can.  Spooky quiet on 300 subs, sounds great on my Bergara 308 as well.  I've shot it on my 5.56 guns and while it's still loud, it's definitely quieter than my Resonator K.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Love the size and weight. I consider this a K size can.
But if your looking for the quietest, length is your friend.
I couldn’t be happier though. I’d buy another one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a MG7 for my 9mm rifles.  It works well so far.  I have MG 10 for my 338 federal and it works great so far.  My local suppressor shop had never seen a  EA Vox or Rex until mine came through.  That has no bearing on whether or not they are good cans.  I would not hesitate to buy a Rex again if it fit my needs and budget.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My MG7 .358 is pretty decent with 300 blk subs. I would say quieter than Resonator k after first shot.  The .308 version is probably very pleasant.  Im gonna do a comparison of my Mg7 .358 and Res k on my battle rifle soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my MG7 in .358!
It’s my dedicated three lug can and gets use in my subgun and multiple pcc’s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The .224 MG7 has quite good advertized at-muzzle numbers on 5.56, but I don't know how it translates to at-ear performance vs the turbos. Maybe someone here has compared them. I'd be interested to know as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Strange that HB said that
https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/rex-silentium/silencers/30-caliber/rex-silentium-mg7-308/
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strange that HB said that
https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/rex-silentium/silencers/30-caliber/rex-silentium-mg7-308/
View Quote

Just to clarify. Hanson Brothers only recommended the .264 over the .224 because i mentioned that i also have some Grendel and they felt it would give me versatility and the benefit of less gas.

The local shop is the one that didnt like K cans
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is my Mg7 .358

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I've shot mine once on 5.56 and thought it seemed a little loud.  But I didn't have my other cans out to compare it with and short 5.56's are always loud with .30 bore suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]

How'd you attach your Rex to that host?  I think Im seeing a zastava zpap92 with the 26mm x 1.5 threads.  

Also, are you running a KNS adjustable piston on it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m waiting on a Rex 458, mainly to use on a 458.

However, they make standard mounts 1.375-24 and they make replaceable suppressor caps, so you can make the exit hole to match the caliber you are currently shooting.  

I can use a 22 caliber cap on my 458 can and it’ll be similar to a dedicated 556 can with a lot more volume.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How'd you attach your Rex to that host?  I think Im seeing a zastava zpap92 with the 26mm x 1.5 threads.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Custom adaptor from ECCO machine. 26mm LH
No, I need to get a KnS piston
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#14]

I have MG7 358 on a PTR 9KT using a YHM 3-lug mount. Absolutely happy with it. I'd like to get a MG10 308 sometime.

I ran a octane 45 on the 9KT for a bit. I like the shorter size the Rex provides and they sound the similar to me but I didn't try them back to back. I think the Rex is just a tad quieter. My hearing is far from calibrated so don't read too much into that.

I'm happy with the build quality, the sound, and the compactness. Like I said, I want a MG10 in 308 some time. I already have a YHM resonator k.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Custom adaptor from ECCO machine. 26mm LH
No, I need to get a KnS piston
View Quote

Can you give details on the adapter? Been waiting on a JMAC but no luck there.

Im assuming internal and external threads on the adapter.  Internal threads are 26mm external are 1.375 x 24?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’m waiting on a Rex 458, mainly to use on a 458.

However, they make standard mounts 1.375-24 and they make replaceable suppressor caps, so you can make the exit hole to match the caliber you are currently shooting.  

I can use a 22 caliber cap on my 458 can and it’ll be similar to a dedicated 556 can with a lot more volume.
View Quote

The front cap on my MG7 is welded and not removable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Is that helpful?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/20210401_181642-1914470.jpg

I have MG7 358 on a PTR 9KT using a YHM 3-lug mount. Absolutely happy with it. I'd like to get a MG10 308 sometime.

I ran a octane 45 on the 9KT for a bit. I like the shorter size the Rex provides and they sound the similar to me but I didn't try them back to back. I think the Rex is just a tad quieter. My hearing is far from calibrated so don't read too much into that.

I'm happy with the build quality, the sound, and the compactness. Like I said, I want a MG10 in 308 some time. I already have a YHM resonator k.
View Quote

I have the same gun. I’ve been running a Wolfman on it but that has been allocated elsewhere. Got an omega 9k in jail for it, and a Rex MG7 .358 that I’m probably going to put on the Stribog.

Did you replace the locking piece on the PTR like they say to do with some of these MP5k variants?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The front cap on my MG7 is welded and not removable.
View Quote

Some are removable.  

This is the 458.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Numbers wise the Fullsize turbo would win easily.  Turbo K vs Rex it will be hard to tell on a 5.56 SBR.  My fullsize turbo sounds really good on a 11.3" 5.56 sbr, but I tuned the gas system alot as it was really gassy. For only sbr 5.56 use I would stick with YHM's turbo or K (better blast baffle), but for a multi use can the Rex will do everything you need and should be fine just might show more blast baffle wear.   5.56 sbr's are loud unsuppressed, are "good" with a k can, but better with a full-size can hearing wise.  For less weight and length, turbo k or Rex would work great.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have the same gun. I’ve been running a Wolfman on it but that has been allocated elsewhere. Got an omega 9k in jail for it, and a Rex MG7 .358 that I’m probably going to put on the Stribog.

Did you replace the locking piece on the PTR like they say to do with some of these MP5k variants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/20210401_181642-1914470.jpg

Yes I used: MP5K PDW # 28 Locking Piece 80 Degree - RCM

Probably about 300-500 rounds through it all suppressed with no issues so far. Using KCI mags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes I used: MP5K PDW # 28 Locking Piece 80 Degree - RCM

Probably about 300-500 rounds through it all suppressed with no issues so far. Using KCI mags.
View Quote

Ok that’s what I figured. Unfortunately those locking pieces are hard to come by. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#24]
MG7k on an M-11/nine

https://youtube.com/shorts/11yc6JlYVTU?feature=share
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#25]
For what it's worth, I visited my MG7 308 in jail today for the first time and put it on an 11.5" 5.56 and 8.5" 300BLK. It was in a small indoor range and I had doubled-up ear-pro and no other cans to compare it to, so take this with a grain of salt, but I thought it sounded really good with 300BLK subs and it was a huge improvement over unsuppressed on the 11.5". I doubt it was hearing safe in that space but man was it massively better - more than just "taking the edge off" would maybe imply. It also feels solid and looks nice. A smaller bore MG7 should also be a few dB quieter on 5.56 - the .264 sounds like a good compromise in your case if you have a 6.5 Grendel too. I am sure the YHM cans are great too.

Basically, my guess is that you're not going to regret it either way. If you're going to be wearing ear pro anyway (you should), get whatever is available or will feel/ look right on the host.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Pro tip: if you use your Keymo adapter that came with the naked Nomad, it looks like it was made for this Rex Slientium MG7.

Also, the naked nomad looks better with a black Keymo adapter anyway. In my opinion.

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Rex is well made, in my opinion
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a MG7 in 308 mounted with a key mo. I also have a Nomad that I recently shot it with. I was checking for POI shift between the Nomad and the MG7.

In getting this, I looked at it as a pseudo Nomad K when it came to exterior dimensions.

Tested on two SBRs 9-10.5”, it was louder (no surprise) but not by a considerable amount. There was more back pressure with one rifle that isn’t adjustable, but has bleed off. Brass was getting tossed at 1 O’clock instead of 2 O’clock.  The spacing on the baffles is much tighter than the Nomad. I also got a consistent POI shift of about 2” horizontally with two different hosts.  Not a knock on the MG7. Could be the Nomad, MG7, or both she it comes to tolerances.

I love the size as it is like a Nomad in K config or a Turbo in fat config.  When I get the chance, I’ll run it with a YHM adapter and compare it to the Turbo. I’m happy with the size and the amount it suppresses. I don’t plan on hunting with it (where I wouldn’t have ear pro). It’s a range suppressor or good enough suppression suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#29]
As a fellow Georgian, I'm curious what shop it was. I'm always looking to find another good shop to peruse. My LGS (GA Firing Line) has the Rex MG7Ks in stock pretty frequently, mainly the .308 and .358 from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a fellow Georgian, I'm curious what shop it was. I'm always looking to find another good shop to peruse. My LGS (GA Firing Line) has the Rex MG7Ks in stock pretty frequently, mainly the .308 and .358 from what I've seen.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:16:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered one today in .264. It will mostly live on a 10.5"  5.56 LMT but might get run on my grendel.

Of course now that I ordered it I see the Vox S and start thinking maybe I should have gotten that. Same weight, only .5" longer, probably a lot quieter and better materials. But it is $250 more expensive. Hope the MG7 fits the bill for me. Guess I could just get both.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]

@bradpierson26

Have you tried 196gr subsonic in that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@bradpierson26

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@bradpierson26

Lol absolutely not
123g Tula almost exclusively
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#34]
At some point, we have to realize we are chasing absurd standards.

Yes, I know the suppressor buying process is absurd but very few of us buy one can to rule them all.

Realistically, a vox S might be made out of the best material in the world but are any of us really going to shoot enough to the point where we are going to wear out a can?

The answer to that is no, we are not.  Maybe 1% of us will shoot out a can.  That 1% can simply send the can back to rex and they will do what they need to do in order to get it back up to snuff.

For the price, weight, materials and performance, the MG7 is a fantastic 5.56 can.  No 5.56 K can is hearing safe and the ones that come close sound similar to the naked ear.  They all take the edge off to the point where you're probably not cringing, as much as you're firing.  Buy based around availability, weight, diameter, aesthetics or whatever the hell else may be important to you.

Also, your shop poo pooing the Turbo K would make me want to find another less opinionated shop.  The turbo K is a fantastic can for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
At some point, we have to realize we are chasing absurd standards.

Yes, I know the suppressor buying process is absurd but very few of us buy one can to rule them all.

Realistically, a vox S might be made out of the best material in the world but are any of us really going to shoot enough to the point where we are going to wear out a can?

The answer to that is no, we are not.  Maybe 1% of us will shoot out a can.  That 1% can simply send the can back to rex and they will do what they need to do in order to get it back up to snuff.

For the price, weight, materials and performance, the MG7 is a fantastic 5.56 can.  No 5.56 K can is hearing safe and the ones that come close sound similar to the naked ear.  They all take the edge off to the point where you're probably not cringing, as much as you're firing.  Buy based around availability, weight, diameter, aesthetics or whatever the hell else may be important to you.

Also, your shop poo pooing the Turbo K would make me want to find another less opinionated shop.  The turbo K is a fantastic can for what it is.
View Quote

Even if you go to a MgX 8 or 9, that or a turbo/resonator can’t be beat in value these days
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Just ordered an MG7 .224 from Hansohn, can't wait.  

It's my first centerfire suppressor so it'll sit on my 11.5" HD SBR until I buy a dedicated can for that, probably a Turbo K, then it'll be dedicate to my 16" "SPR" build.

My first 2 cans are still in jail, I need to take a ~150 day nap.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Was able to grab a locking piece!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top