Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2020 12:17:00 AM EDT
(Yes, I know this is shot vertically. That was intentional.)

This is a 4 megapixel IP camera, made by Hikvision, and purchased from Nelly's Security. It has settings to detect humans or cars (or both). You can create lines or areas in your camera's field of view. When a human or car (whichever you chose) crosses the line or enters or exits the area, it will trigger smart events. You can even set one line or area and triggers for humans and another line or area for cars with different triggers.

These include a strobe light, which can flash at a slow rate, a medium rate, or fast enough to possibly cause seizures and you can set how long it will continue to flash.

There are also several audio files to choose from as alerts. These include a siren, several warnings ("Warning, this is a restricted area", "Welcome", etc.) and you can set the volume and number of times it repeats.

You can also set the times of day that these triggers are active, such as during night time hours and disarmed during the day.

All in all, a very cool camera and great for adding visual and audio deterrent to the desired area. And for $199, you really can't go wrong.

https://www.nellyssecurity.com/video-surveillance/security-cameras/ip/solutions/deterrence.html?brand=261

Nelly's Security Hikvision 4MP Deterrence Camera in Action!

(No affiliation with Nelly's. Just a satisfied, repeat customer).

#Nellyssecurity

If you're quick, Nelly's has a 15% off sale during the 4th of July weekend!

And I realize that Hikvision is on that State Department's bad list as a Chinese company. My cameras and NVR are on their own VLAN with no internet access. Just for kicks, I plugged the camera into my main, unrestricted network and watched it with the Pi-Hole. It didn't make one attempt to access the internet. That's a welcome change compared to some of Nelly's cheaper 4K cameras from GoSwift and their R-series 4K cameras. I have a couple of these and they try to call Amazon AWS every 10 seconds. All the time. My Pi-hole has blocked 16,700 attempts from each of these cheapo cameras in the last 24 hours. I'm going to swap them out for the Nelly's H-series Hikvisions.

ETA: My only regret is that you can't upload more audio files. It has 7-8 and they're fine. But I'd really like to upload my own. I'm thinking Scarface-Say hello to my little friend! and perhaps Ed-209 "Your vehicle is illegally parked. You have 20 seconds to comply". Maybe dualing banjos for a creepy Deliverance vibe.

Sadly, Nelly's told me that it's not possible to do this. I'd almost wonder if a clever hacker could break open the firmware and do something. Any ARF-hackers want a commission job?
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Can they signal externally? Just hook up your desired audio to an external audio source, amp, speaker that will autoplay when powered up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I would consider avoiding the Hikvision based on their ties to the chinese government and less than stellar security record.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a number of hik cams. I will never use their built in software or give it direct access to the internet.  I use BlueIris for recording, triggering and remote access.

I have verified my hik cams call home to China regularly.  So I isolate them on their own subnet and firewall them for good measure.

Yes. You could add your own audio files. But it probably involves soldering a serial connection to the board. Then edit then the firmware and hope you don't brick it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So what happens when the teenage kids come home late and are hit with the rave strobe as "Let the bodies hit the floor" starts blasting from the speakers?

Actually, you should post the video when that happens.
View Quote
"Click, click, boom!" would also be acceptable.
Quoted:
Can they signal externally? Just hook up your desired audio to an external audio source, amp, speaker that will autoplay when powered up.
View Quote
They don't accept an aux input. The speaker will only play those sound files that are loaded into the firmware. Perhaps with an update.
Quoted:
I would consider avoiding the Hikvision based on their ties to the Chinese government and less than stellar security record.
View Quote
Perhaps. But if you're trying to completely avoid Chinese made electronics, you may have some very slim pickings. As I noted in the OP, it's isolated on a VLAN and I did also give it a chance to access the internet and it didn't.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They don't accept an aux input. The speaker will only play those sound files that are loaded into the firmware. Perhaps with an update.

View Quote

I meant an aux output trigger. IE, just a simple trigger that would then tell your external audio source (containing any sound clip you may want) to start playing.

Even if there isn't an external connection, there is certainly something on the board where a trigger voltage could be pulled from and maybe a raspberry pi with mp3 audio file and speaker. Voltage signal from camera board tells the pi to start playing the sound bite on the speaker. Sure it will take a little tinkering but it sounds like you really desire the feature and you may be willing to give it a go.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I meant an aux output trigger. IE, just a simple trigger that would then tell your external audio source (containing any sound clip you may want) to start playing.

Even if there isn't an external connection, there is certainly something on the board where a trigger voltage could be pulled from and maybe a raspberry pi with mp3 audio file and speaker. Voltage signal from camera board tells the pi to start playing the sound bite on the speaker. Sure it will take a little tinkering but it sounds like you really desire the feature and you may be willing to give it a go.
View Quote

It sounds intriguing. My soldering and electrical engineering skills are fairly rudimentary, but I like where you're going with this. One of my brothers is a mechanical engineer. I wonder what he might think. I could be persuaded to subsidize the cost of a camera for such a project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top