Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2023 9:57:07 PM EDT
Im left eye dominate, but right handed.  I normally shoot rifles left handed, because I cant close my left eye independently from the right eye.
I want to shoot my 308 right handed, can I wear an eye patch over my left eye in order to accomplish this?? Or this is a dumb idea?
If the rifle zeroed using my left eye, will I have to rezero with my right eye?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive heard of studies done where people actually wore glasses that inverted images, and it took the brain about three days to flip the image signals and see "right side up" again.

I assume training the brain to prefer a different eye is possible so long as there isn't anything wrong with the hardware.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im left eye dominate, but right handed.  I normally shoot rifles left handed, because I cant close my left eye independently from the right eye.
I want to shoot my 308 right handed, can I wear an eye patch over my left eye in order to accomplish this?? Or this is a dumb idea?
If the rifle zeroed using my left eye, will I have to rezero with my right eye?

Thanks
View Quote

I'm left eye and hand dominant, but shoot right-handed because almost everything is made for right-handers, and it's just easier. Naturally, I'm a lousy wingshot.
Yes, you certainly can wear a patch, better yet a blinder on your shooting glasses. It's done all the time in rifle competition.
You'll probably have to re-zero for right hand / eye shooting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Instead of a full dark patch try covering your left eye glass with scotch tape. Not the clear stuff but the old translucant stuff. This will help your eye sight and depth perception in your right eye and your brain will want to switch sides because you can see better with the right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top