Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2022 1:03:22 PM EDT
Short version is, over the last decade or so I've had a couple of things fall into my lap; a Springfield rifle with 1863 marked on the rear of the lock plate (in great condition; some patina but still mostly in the white), another one marked 1865 (in even better condition though I think it was polished up for use in an American Leigon or something like that)...I also happen to have run across a Smith Carbine, and just today fell into a 5th model Burnside Carbine.

The thing is...my primary source of info, my dad, passed in February. His library was liquidated...so I don't even know where to begin with researching these any more. Are there any decent online resources for figuring out precisely what's what with these; variations, etc?

How about books? Any suggestions?

TIA!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
start here  there's some seriously knowledgeable people in there who rarely post.  I can't recall the smokepoles forum I used to use but I'll try to check my old computer for the URL.  It was solely focused on historic BP guns.  See if Forgotten Weapons has anything on them as well as Cap and Ball on YT.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I crossposted there too now

Mods, if you want to clean this thread out, feel free? Otherwise, can't hurt to double my chances of getting a decent bit of info to start from, other than scouring Amazon and hoping what they have isn't terrible
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
https://armyhistory.org/the-springfield-model-1873-rifle/

https://www.historynet.com/61-springfield-rifle-musket/

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-krag-jorgensen-america-s-first-bolt-action-service-rifle/

Four beautiful Krags at the CMP South Store

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Off the top of my head

Books:

Fuller's The Rifled Musket and Springfield Shoulder Arms

Moller's three volume books if you really want your mind blown - more of a lead-up to your timeframe, perhaps a bit too early

Frasca and Hosmer are the go-to books on trapdoors

Brophy and Mallory for Krags

For somewhat earlier: Willyard's model 1855 book; Kent Johns' Springfield Armory Infantry Muskets 1795-1844

Flayderman's last edition is a tremendous starting point to begin figuring out what you have and put a price tag on it - a little out of date but I adjust for inflation and look at the latest auction/gunbroker sales

Internet resources:

trapdoorcollector.com

civilwartalk.com Small Arms & Ammunition subforum

Krag Collector's Association website and forum

jouster2.com

Plenty of knowledge on the CMP forums too, although more set up for 20th century stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top