Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2019 2:32:57 PM EDT
Dry flash recommended using a bullet sizer die to resize some .223 (.224) pulled bullets that are giving me problems.

I'm using a Lee.

Anyway, the process seems to work good but what's the easiest way to remove the Lee Alox Lube on the bullets?

I soaked to them in Ed's Red ( which stinks too) but is there a better method?

BTW, this shit stinks!

Also can I use something else ( another lube) that stinks less?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You can try paint thinner but a lot of it has acetone added to avoid VOC limits.

Acetone is actually not all that dangerous as a solvent.
It tends to be relatively 'pure' compared to may other solvents.

Denatured alcohol i should also work but is not as effective as Stoddard Solvent (the old main ingredient in paint thinner).

Some denatured alcohol with some Naphtha added would be a little better than straight alcohol.

Just use the flammable ones outside.
Soak the bullets with an aluminum foil cover looselty over the container.

Swirl them around after a few hours of soaking and most of the stuff should be in teh sovent.

Let it sit for a coupl days and pour off the clean part of the solvent for re-use.

Evaporate the rest away in a sheltered area.

A shallow aluminum disposable broiler pan works well.

Use a a couple times then trash it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The Ed's Red pretty much gets it off.

I also tried some RCBS Case Lube. I ran a few through and it seemed to work fine.

The RCBS lube doesn't stink and it wipes off easily.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I use my case sizing lube lanolin based. With small caliber bullets I only lube maybe one in ten and wipe the sized bullets with a rag. The Alox is too messy for a sizing lube and meant to lube lead bullets. 50 BMG bullets I roll every every one on my case lube pad. Don't think you actually have to lube 223 bullets  for sizing but it might keep the die from getting buildup?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use my case sizing lube lanolin based. With small caliber bullets I only lube maybe one in ten and wipe the sized bullets with a rag. The Alox is too messy for a sizing lube and meant to lube lead bullets. 50 BMG bullets I roll every every one on my case lube pad. Don't think you actually have to lube 223 bullets  for sizing but it might keep the die from getting buildup?
View Quote
I could try a few without lube?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#5]
You could use your dry tumbler with corncob if you have it.

I've done it many times to polish some tarnished ones. Shiny bullets shoot better

Bullets are heavy so don't do too many at a time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could use your dry tumbler with corncob if you have it.

I've done it many times to polish some tarnished ones. Shiny bullets shoot better

Bullets are heavy so don't do too many at a time.
View Quote
If you have any bullets with hollow points you need to be careful with grain sizes.
The hollow points will pack full of smaller grains.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you have any bullets with hollow points you need to be careful with grain sizes.
The hollow points will pack full of smaller grains.
View Quote
Go to the sink get the Dawn dish soap fill the sink half full of hot water dump em in, stir them around, you want a good amount of soap.

Reach down and loosen the drain, don't take it out or your bullets go down the tube.

Repeat. Throw them on a towel, make a v shape grab both ends run them back and forth until dry and clean. I do this with brass too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top