Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/8/2023 9:00:05 PM EDT

Saw this machine in my local Ace. Is it any good? I have one of those ceramic sharpeners and a steel but my 8” Henkel Chef knife definitely could use a real sharpening.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I was curious about those machines also.
Scared to put a good knife in it as of yet.
Here for info.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No one has tried it out yet?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had them run my kitchen knives  - very happy with the results
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully someone will use a throw away knife as a test.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I took my Henkel 8” Chef knife in. It was developing a burr near the heal.

Before:

After:

As you can see the burr is not 100% gone but much improved. I think it did 3 passes of grinding and a couple passes of scanning before and after. You can see the new sharp edge and there was a minimal amount of material removed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Do they charge by size?
How much for my Tapanga?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just sharpen knives with stones or one of the gizmos like a Spyderco sharpener, Lansky, etc?  I’d never put a Henkel, Shun, Sabatier or any decent kitchen knife in, let alone a $200+ carry knife.

Are people so pressed for time?  Or, just unable to sharpen knives the way it’s been done for centuries?

To me, this is like putting 87 octane gas instead of 93 or 95 in a Porsche.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just sharpen knives with stones or one of the gizmos like a Spyderco sharpener, Lansky, etc?  I’d never put a Henkel, Shun, Sabatier or any decent kitchen knife in, let alone a $200+ carry knife.

Are people so pressed for time?  Or, just unable to sharpen knives the way it’s been done for centuries?

View Quote

I believe a quality road car should be able to function within specification no matter the common gas station octane (87-93).

It’s a knife, sharpen it.  Move on.

I’d totally try it out if I lived close to an Ace with that machine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe a quality road car should be able to function within specification no matter the common gas station octane (87-93).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I agree.  But like navigating with a compass vs GPS, old reliable sand paper, stones, ceramics etc are easier if you learn & don’t require a special trip to Ace.

Of course, if you lack dexterity….oh well.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
because they aren't heirlooms - they are run of the mill kitchen knives and pocket knives

If i didn't already have a worksharp to grind the tips off my knives I'd try this gizmo out at Ace
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just use a wet stone and strop..
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not just sharpen knives with stones or one of the gizmos like a Spyderco sharpener, Lansky, etc?  I'd never put a Henkel, Shun, Sabatier or any decent kitchen knife in, let alone a $200+ carry knife.

Are people so pressed for time?  Or, just unable to sharpen knives the way it's been done for centuries?

View Quote
Some people don't know which end of the screwdriver to use.  They also own knives.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It's very important to learn to sharpen your own knives.

You wouldn't take your gun to a gun cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

A) some people are ignorant, lazy, or both

B) that’s a stupid analogy
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Just got this for only $275 and it works great!

Of course the 2x72 grinder it goes on was a bit of an investment
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
It's easy to keep a sharp knife sharp with a few passes on a sharpmaker or other v angle ceramic rod.

It's a bitch to restore a truly dull knife to sharpness, which most kitchen knives fall under.

I can definitely see the value of a knife sharpening robot if its up to the task. Especially for $5-7.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Will it reprofile or just sharpen? I’ve see dozens of otherwise decent knives that either came from the factory with an uneven grind or had bubba mess them up. It can take a lot of time to reprofile by hand whereas sharpening is fast and easy if the grind is even
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of my mother's knives are in bad shape - decades of use without any sharpening. I'd be tempted to have them worked on.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#20]
We were having dinner at my inlaws.  They had a nice set of Gerber kitchen knives.  And used a sharpening steel on them.

I later offered to sharpen them with a Smiths powered knife sharpener to get the edges properly reground.  When I saw how much accumulated crap was on the blades I said  "I'm not putting blades covered with crap into the Smith's to gunk up the sharpening wheels".

I've used a Lansky for years until I got a Sharpmaker for dealing with a serrated Spydeco Police blade.  The Sharpmaker is the way...

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I ain't never seen such a thing before!  I took a look at https://www.resharp.com/faq and am a bit disappointed.  I was thinking this might be an interesting thing to do with a machete.  But there's a 12" limit on blade length.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's easy to keep a sharp knife sharp with a few passes on a sharpmaker or other v angle ceramic rod.

It's a bitch to restore a truly dull knife to sharpness, which most kitchen knives fall under.

I can definitely see the value of a knife sharpening robot if its up to the task. Especially for $5-7.
View Quote

So few people keep their kitchen knives sharp.

My nephew has been crashing at my place temporarily for his new job.  He was gobsmacked at how sharp my knives were.  “I can actually cut a tomato without crushing it” he said.  

I don’t think they’re that sharp but then again at other people’s houses it feels like most of their sharp knives ar butter knives.   To them a sharp knife is the serrated one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was curious about those machines also.
Scared to put a good knife in it as of yet.
Here for info.
View Quote

They did my Benchmade for free.  Super fucking sharp.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#24]
People have different opinions of what’s sharp. When I was younger I thought I did a good job sharpening if the blade cleanly cut notebook paper. I got better at it and the standard became cleanly cuts yellow pages paper. That’s typically what most people call “shaving sharp”. There are levels above that like “hair splitting” like in the old cartoons. That’s my goal now. The guys who are really serous can bring the right steel to “tree topping “ which is where you can pass the blade above (not touching)the skin on your arm and it will still part the hairs. These levels require much finer grits than I’m certain that machine has. My sequence is 220, 400, 800, 1200, 2000, and followed with a leather strop loaded with white compound.

I know it’s my OCD that pushes it that far and a knife does not need to be that sharp to cut well. It’s just fun to see how far you can take a blade. That takes lots and lots of practice and multiple grit stones and/or belts. Automated machine won’t compete here but it’s certainly easier for the average individual.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My nephew has been crashing at my place temporarily for his new job.  He was gobsmacked at how sharp my knives were.  “I can actually cut a tomato without crushing it” he said.  

I don’t think they’re that sharp but then again at other people’s houses it feels like most of their sharp knives ar butter knives.   To them a sharp knife is the serrated one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely this. Pretty much every house I've been to, friends, family, whoever, their knives are just metal triangles at this point, and all their real cutting is done with the serrated blades.

Was at one persons house where their fancy Henckels were so dull they couldn't slice open, even with tremendous force, the plastic film on those tubes of meaty dog food from Fresh Pet. These can be sliced open with the 'serrations' on a plastic butter knife.

This is also why I suggest SE pocket knives as gifts for people who can't sharpen. At lest with SE they will still be able to saw things open. My buddy, before he went on a one year trip to India, I got him a SE Spyderco Native. That was 15 years ago, that knife has never been sharpened, and I bet it's still his 'go to' sharp knife in his house. (I'd sharpen it for him but have since moved to a different state.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well I took my Henkel 8” Chef knife in. It was developing a burr near the heal.

Before:
https://i.imgur.com/GoTsN0B.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DIIXtYB.jpg

After:
https://i.imgur.com/k8fTxyX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9VvjkEN.jpg

As you can see the burr is not 100% gone but much improved. I think it did 3 passes of grinding and a couple passes of scanning before and after. You can see the new sharp edge and there was a minimal amount of material removed.
View Quote

How sharp is the new knife? Paper slicing? Shaving sharp?

Might bring my Swiss Army down to ACE for a test run.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Laughs in TSPROF KO3
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#28]
There's one at an Ace not TOO far from my home, I have an old beat up set of "one stick figure guy" grade Henckels I got for a longevity gift at a company years ago that are worse for wear and were on their way out the door.  There's a pretty good brewery up that way, I may toss them in a bag and make a run up there see if I can breathe some life into the suckers and get a pint for my troubles.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most of my mother's knives are in bad shape - decades of use without any sharpening. I'd be tempted to have them worked on.
View Quote

LOL, sounds like most of my mom's knives.  Every time I sharpen one she cuts herself.    I'd love to give it a shot on some of her knives (and warn her) but there's not one anywhere near here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife told a customer that I sharpened knives and proceeded to hand me a bag full of completely dull knives.  Half way through the first one I realized they were junk and googled them. A $40 set from walmart.  I almost just bought them new ones instead of wasting any more time.   I think I ran the rest on the belt sander before touching them up on a stone.

I'll check my Ace for that machine and let my wife know where to send her clients.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Whenever I would go to my Mother's house, she would always appreciate it when I brought my knife sharpening gear with me and sharpened all her knives.  It really helps having plenty of knife sharpening equipment.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top