Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2021 10:00:46 PM EDT
I've heard repeatedly that there's an "approved list" of optics for use on the SCAR-H promulgated by the NSWC-CRANE guys;  the problem is, I've never seen this list.  Anyone know where to find it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been looking for it as well. So far I’ve only seen people refer to it without producing the actual document. I wonder if it’s only a hearsay.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
In for this
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no "list"

when the scar was first fielded in 2009 it was breaking SOPMOD block II items (eotech, LA-5, ect)

all vendors at the time fielding optics built their items to meet the unique shock profile of the scar.

those vendors were L3, trijicon, leupold, nightforce, aimpoint, eotech, ELCAN

today any quality optic will survive.  and if it doesnt it should have a lifetime warranty.

personal recommendation: get the ELCAN.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently debating what options to use on my scar and just figured I'd get a a good mount like Geissele or Scalarworks with a quality scope.

Nx8 or razor 1-6/1-10 with a rmr 45 offset is what I'm leaning towards.

I couldn't really find anything like a list but I'd be comfortable with something quality made.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bear in mind...( from what I have read )  some of the extended cantilever QD scope mounts were ( are ) some of the issues on a SCAR, again the odd recoil impulse has caused levers to come undone, and "whipped" the cantilever hard.
View Quote
Yep.  LaRue has specifically said NOT to use any of their cantilever mounts on the SCAR 17.  They recommended the OBR mount.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
That's good to know I thought the cantilever would of been better because it's easier to mount behind the charging handle or action?

Maybe I'm confusing my mounts but yeah I'm definitely going to research this pretty well prior to getting anything.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is no "list"

when the scar was first fielded in 2009 it was breaking SOPMOD block II items (eotech, LA-5, ect)

all vendors at the time fielding optics built their items to meet the unique shock profile of the scar.

those vendors were L3, trijicon, leupold, nightforce, aimpoint, eotech, ELCAN

today any quality optic will survive.  and if it doesnt it should have a lifetime warranty.

personal recommendation: get the ELCAN.
View Quote

I haven't talked to anyone who said they lost an LA-5 on a MK17 or Mk20.  Seen lots of them mounted and used.  I ran a PEQ/15 on one and it survived.  This was Uncle Sam's gun, sights and lasers, so if they broke, we had plenty to replace with.

I agree with your ELCAN recommendation.  Great optic overall.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
select units when first fielded the mk16 were smoking the la5 and eotech which caused a full investigation and redesign of those items to harden them.  the had them replaced through spares on hand, but the long term issue was eventually fixed
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
select units when first fielded the mk16 were smoking the la5 and eotech which caused a full investigation and redesign of those items to harden them.  the had them replaced through spares on hand, but the long term issue was eventually fixed
View Quote

Thanks for your response.  My experience must have been after they fixed those issues.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#13]
So the ADM mount that is supposed to be good for the scar is gtg?

I passed on a primary arms lpvo with ADM option a while back and wish I grabbed it until I got a razor or nx8. I have a 556 giessele upper I could of used in on as a hand me down.

I just wish we could get a solid list stickied of mounts and optics to make it a little easier on us newbies
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So the ADM mount that is supposed to be good for the scar is gtg?

I passed on a primary arms lpvo with ADM option a while back and wish I grabbed it until I got a razor or nx8. I have a 556 giessele upper I could of used in on as a hand me down.

I just wish we could get a solid list stickied of mounts and optics to make it a little easier on us newbies
View Quote

I can give you my personal feedback from optics run on SCAR 17s and 20s I have used:

Leupold IMS 34MM mount + MK6 3-18 works and has been used extensively on 2-way ranges in various places.
Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6 works and has been used extensively on 2-way ranges in various places.
Midwest Industries 34MM HD mount with zero offset (zero MOA) and Leupold Mk6 1-6. I run this on a SCAR 17 that I shoot all the time.  No issues with the mount or scope.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can give you my personal feedback from optics run on SCAR 17s and 20s I have used:

Leupold IMS 34MM mount + MK6 3-18 works and has been used extensively on 2-way ranges in various places.
Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6 works and has been used extensively on 2-way ranges in various places.
Midwest Industries 34MM HD mount with zero offset (zero MOA) and Leupold Mk6 1-6. I run this on a SCAR 17 that I shoot all the time.  No issues with the mount or scope.

View Quote

I'm going to zero a RDS (h1 or t1) on it for now but I'll take a look at these when I am researching scopes and mounts. I think I'll just be patient because I barely have a case of 762 on hand and just now am getting to zero a acog on a 556 setup.

I'll see how I like the 4x and go from there and get the aimpoint on the Scar just to have something to run on it for a few trips to get a feel for it as I can get ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you think a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 will hold up on a 17s?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you think a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 will hold up on a 17s?
View Quote
I think that depends on the mount you use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Also curious as to any NV clip-on devices that have been used with SCAR 17s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I went through 5 changes and planned at TA01B.

No issues.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've heard repeatedly that there's an "approved list" of optics for use on the SCAR-H promulgated by the NSWC-CRANE guys;  the problem is, I've never seen this list.  Anyone know where to find it?
View Quote
the SCARH beats optics and lasers to death in quick fashion.

CRANE has a specific laser for the SCAR H (Laser etched markings o the back mark it as one with hardened internals) and usually teams will put an optic swapped from a Barrett or a 6x Elcan on it. Seen some ACOGs but the SCAR isn’t a tremendously popular weapon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top