Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2020 5:47:55 PM EDT
Hello all. I am working on a project for the National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, GA. I’m in the Army but got to view a lot of their collection and am helping write descriptions of some of their firearms. However, my specialty is with the AR-15, specifically from 1958-1973 or so. I don’t really know anything about M-14s, M-21s, M-25s and other variants of the M-14. If anybody out there is an expert and would like to help me write up a detailed description of this rifle, it would be greatly appreciated. Please email me because I am not in this forum often. I have provided photos to a member/friend in the Retro forum that either posted them here or on the M14 forum site but I’d be happy to provide them again for people to view and to get the help I need.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Little confused; are there not some nice primary sources at the Donovan Research Library? I'll bet they would love to help you there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The library isn’t going to tell me the intricate details of the particular rifle. I.e. what certain proofs and forge codes mean, the year it was likely built, etc. and why put in the effort if someone here already knows lol. My friend I provided the photos would do it but he’s too busy to do a report rn.  I wouldn’t even know where to begin anyways, because again, my expertise is in Retro AR-15s 1958-1973.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Major John Plaster would probably be the authority on  Vietnam era sniper programs and equipment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How would I contact this man?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me google that for you ;)

But seriously, if he has retired from Gunsite, you might try his book web site (contact form). Maybe someone answers, maybe not.

Soooo, how long do you have to complete this little research project, before you either class up again, or get your PCS orders?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe Plaster’s current publisher is now Panteao Productions, you might be able to contact through them.

https://panteao.com/instructors/major-john-plaster/
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh I thought this guy was on the forum. And unsure. I’m finishing up BOLC on the 13th.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh I thought this guy was on the forum. And unsure. I’m finishing up BOLC on the 13th.
View Quote
Ahh, see, you confirmed my guess: short term "honey do" projects for HHT, before you are truly fed to the wolves.

My advice? Find the best available "high level" detail about the the program and rifle that you can, and don't worry about every stamp and proof mark. It will probably be an improvement over what was already on the card for the rifle, and you don't have that kind of time (unless you are exceptionally unlucky).

Just be sure to leave a few notes on the back as to the sources consulted, and some other poor guy can improve that foxhole the next time around.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ahh, see, you confirmed my guess: short term "honey do" projects for HHT, before you are truly fed to the wolves.

My advice? Find the best available "high level" detail about the the program and rifle that you can, and don't worry about every stamp and proof mark. It will probably be an improvement over what was already on the card for the rifle, and you don't have that kind of time (unless you are exceptionally unlucky).

Just be sure to leave a few notes on the back as to the sources consulted, and some other poor guy can improve that foxhole the next time around.
View Quote
Link

Just so you’re trackin’ what I’m going for. #13 is in the museum as well. And no this was of my own accord.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top