Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 3:13:08 PM EDT
Does anybody make replacement powder hoppers that don't suck?
After time, my uni flow and Hornaday powder measure hoppers have discolored to the point of uselessness.
I have to get up out of my chair and look in the top to check powder levels.
So, somebody has to make ones out of a plastic that doesn't suck or glass right?
Or, has anyone here made their own?
Thank you for your time fellow stuffers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try calling Hornady and see if they have a recommendation to clean the hopper... They might have one, but also might offer to send you a new one

My experience with reloading components has been manufactures bend over backwards to help us
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
You are your own worst enemy.  Do not leave powder in the hopper for extended periods of time!  That will keep the hoppers in better shape.
Titegroup seems to discolor hoppers fast!

You can get replacement hoppers from the OEM.

Another idea at least for the RCBS PM is check out Sinclair they have adapters and bottles that are readily replaceable.  They do not appear to have an adapter for Hornady.
But, do have Redding, Lyman, and RCBS.

Glass would be a stupid substitute material! Breakage would be a bad deal!
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
DramWorx

They make borosilicate Hoppers.

Same stuff Pyrex and lab glass is made of.  I have not used them.  I looking into them due to titegroup staining my hopper
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
My Lee powder reservoirs are still transparent after 10+ years. Just say'n.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DramWorx

Same stuff Pyrex and lab glass is made of.  I have not used them.  I looking into them due to titegroup staining my hopper
View Quote
Not positive it's this outfit, but they rave about Pyrex hoppers on Enos. Reportedly quite heavy, kinda wonder how that would affect running on the LnL AP where the hopper has to rise. Will find out someday.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't vouch for Hornady, but RCBS wil replace it for free.

But if you continue to store powder in it, it will discolor too.

You can clean your old hopper enough to see the powder level by polishing the inside with fine steel wool.

It won't be clear, but you won't have to look in the top.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
DramWorx

View Quote
^^^ this. They work great and stay clear. I have a Hornady version, my buddy has a DIllon one. No issues.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Just go with another OEM hopper if you haven't been leaving powder in your hopper even overnight. I got into a bad habit of doing that with Titegroup and the results speak for themselves. I always empty mine after each reloading session even when I am going to use the same powder within the next 24 hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Lee powder reservoirs are still transparent after 10+ years. Just say'n.
View Quote
My Lee stuff stays in perfect factory adjustment too.
It's under my bench where it doesn't get used.
Just say'n.

For me it was Power Pistol that ate the soft Hornaday plastic.
The RCBS hopper I don't know.
I try to empty them out after a session but of course stuff happens.

Thankyou for your replies.
I'll look into the linked hoppers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
DramWorx

View Quote
Thank you Sir.
I ordered one for each of mine.
These are made out of Pyrex so they should be plenty tough.
The RCBS model will hold a pound of powder as well so that will be a marked improvement.
Comes with baffle and cover too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top