Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2023 5:25:05 PM EDT
I have an older Stak-on safe with a mechanical dial. I was loking around Amazon the other day and saw a large selection of safe touchpads. Got me to thinking I might be able to change out mine. Can it be done? What would I need to look for to swap out mine?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a very cheap non-standard lock. You will have to modify that door to somehow mount an electronic lock, either in standard format or something cheap Chinese non-standard with a solenoid and basic electronics. I would not do it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a very cheap non-standard lock. You will have to modify that door to somehow mount an electronic lock, either in standard format or something cheap Chinese non-standard with a solenoid and basic electronics. I would not do it.
View Quote

Thanks, I was thinking it would not be worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
This may be a tall order.  I'll try to explain what situation I had:

I think mine is a sentry safe or something like that but came with a S&G dial lock.  I bought the replacement digital version.  It was a very long time ago but I remember there was a very thick spring which I needed to remove in order to get the digital one to work.  I don't see such a mechanism in yours.  I remember when I was looking at everything with the new and old lock installed while I still had the rear panel off the door... I figured out whatever factory configuration was in there with the spring I'm talking about wouldn't allow the digital mechanism actually unlock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought this Liberty 12 Gun safe with a cheap mechanical dial. I upgraded the lock with an S&G electronic lock.

I paid the safe company to install it before it rolled out the door.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Electronic locks are great until North Korea launches a EMP over North America...
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Electronic locks are great until North Korea launches a EMP over North America...
View Quote

I cannot understand why one would want an electronic keypad over a mechanical dial. You’re sacrificing reliability for convenience. And it’s not like a dial lock is inconvenient.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I cannot understand why one would want an electronic keypad over a mechanical dial. You're sacrificing reliability for convenience. And it's not like a dial lock is inconvenient.
View Quote

Necroposting a bit here but I did the conversion. After years with a dial, I'm so glad I replaced it. It's been a year now without any issues and I unlock my safe in literally 1 single second with my fingerprint in the dark. Quick trips in and out of the safe are super convenient - it's a glorified cabinet now. Doesn't help that the S&G dial on it before was drifty... Even if it opened on the first try, it was still a huge inconvenience by comparison.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had two safes in my home with amsec esl5 locks on them for almost ten years. Never had a single issue with either one.

I have changed the batteries in each twice in 10 years, most recently about 6 months ago.

My small safe in the bedroom I go into daily in a normal work week, at least 3 times a week minimum for my large safe.

The small safe was ordered from amsec with the esl5 lock. The larger one I changed myself from an S&G dial about two months after I bought the safe.

Zero hesitation to buy another one. Do some reading about EMP dangers and the real threat level to digital locks in a steel safe door. Its almost zero.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top