Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 10:36:37 AM EDT
I am planning on purchasing either the 4mp camera or the 5mp camera system here soon.

Does anyone have both cameras ? and can you see much difference?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes and yes. The 5mp is better for seeing face and license plate detail. The 4mp works pretty good and you will surely recognize anyone you see but often the license plates are a bit garbled from a distance.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a part of the little give-away when the first 5mp cameras came out, I got a dome camera, when previously everything I had were 4mp bullet cams.

The 5mp is clearer, it also seems to have a "more realistic" color tone, especially when compared to the 4mp cameras side by side. I don't have it set up where it could capture license plate numbers, so I can't comment on that.

I can comment that the one I have, is not 100% reliable. It'll go out, and came back on, sometimes it'll be weeks or months in between episodes, when it does, it'll flicker between on and off for 15 minutes or so, and then stay on. It's a major PITA to change that particular camera, so I'm leaving it, I have 2 other cameras that capture 95% of the FOV that one does, so I'm not super concerned about it going down, but it's annoying, as the previous 4mp camera I had there never had a single hiccup. It's the only 5mp camera I have, and like I said it was from the very first run of 100, probably a prototype, so I'm guessing it's just that particular camera.

I will say, the other 12 4mp cameras I've had, have never had the issues of cutting in and out like this one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
can you get the Reolink system to send you alerts to ur cell phone when motion is detected on the camera?
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
can you get the Reolink system to send you alerts to ur cell phone when motion is detected on the camera?
View Quote
I set up a separate email account that I linked to my phone, so I get email messages with the picture that set off the motion alarm.

I believe you can do the same for text.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got this system and installed it a few weeks ago. I also got an additional camera and 75ft CAT6 cables because I needed a longer run than the 60ft CAT5 they provide. A coworker has the 4MP version of this and he's seen my version and says mine is a better image.

The system hardware was easy and straightforward to install. I had a few issues with software and my computer, but was able to finally figure it out through trial and error. The phone app works well and again I was able to figure it out.
I was surprised at how well the night vision looks and may add a couple flood IR illuminators (the ones on the camera are more spot than flood and can whiteout things very close up). I also plan on getting an external 4tb HD to add to the length of storage (which for me with 5 cameras recording 24/7 is about week).

The only complaint I have is their CS is pretty non existent but I think that's pretty for these DIY systems and price point.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a FYI, amazon is running some coupons  for Reolink.

The 8 camera 16 channel 5mp system has a $132 coupon. Plus $40 off to bring it down to just over $700.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
What are y'alls thoughts on the highest-voted review talking about all video footage being pushed through reolink servers? Do you have to be an IT whiz to avoid this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1AHMFC4DJM3YV/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B016UCNP3A
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are y'alls thoughts on the highest-voted review talking about all video footage being pushed through reolink servers? Do you have to be an IT whiz to avoid this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1AHMFC4DJM3YV/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B016UCNP3A
View Quote
I haven't read it but unless you create your own app or a local server and DNS Service I dont see how any camera system can provide direct video without going through their server for streaming at a minimum. I mean I am sure they could host the DNS routing but then they still would have all those details soooooooooo.

Sounds like people complaining they want a super secure environment at peanuts pricing. The two dont mix..... well at least decently

ETA: Basically they were doing what I said. You can keep it from contacting their servers now but you would need to create your own way to log in remotely. That would forgo any type of app. You could access remotely via computer through DNS/VPN or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top