Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2019 8:25:39 PM EDT
I have read the previous threads about removing the flash hider from an ACR barrel.  I used the boiling method to remove the flash hider on my 5.56 barrel.  It worked great.  I put the muzzle in a large pot of water and got it to boil.  After boiling about 30 minutes I took it to the vise and was able to unscrew it easily.  I hurried and put the 6.8 barrel in the pot of water and got it boiling.  After about 20 minutes I took it to the vise, but the flash hider wouldn't budge.  I put it back in the pot and left it for about 30 minutes.  I tried to remove the flash hider, but once again it wouldn't budge.  I left it alone while we ran errands.  When we returned I refilled the water , put the 6.8 barrel in the pot and lit the fire.  I left it alone for in the boiling water for about 45 minutes.  I thought maybe that would do the trick.  But still the flash hider won't budge.

At this point I'm willing to try anything.  Are there any other methods that have been successful?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
This was my last resort on an AR barrel.  Nothing I did made it budge, and it got to the point I was worried about damage.

Dremel and go slooooowwwww.

DSC_5812 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not opposed to the Dremel method.  but as you say, it will be the last resort.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve resorted to cutting 16” barrels off and threading them to a different length.  Or milling off the hider on the shorter ones.

I wish I had more suggestions but I gave up after killing a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent my barrel to ADCO.  They have swapped out pinned and weld muzzle devices for me in the past.  They do excellent work.  It will be around $100.00 all in including shipping.  I think it is well worth it to have skilled professionals remove the flash hider.

I will post the after pictures when I get the barrel back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I received my 6/8 barrel back from ADCO.  They did a really good job.  The flash hider was removed without damage and the barrel threads are in pristine condition.  The best part is the total charge from ADCO was $44.00.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 6:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: O3scgt] [#6]
I just had to remove one of mine from a 10.5 barrel and the boiling didn’t do anything because there wasn’t any form of thread locker on it.I had to use 2 adjustable wrenches and place one on the pinned portion of the gas block and another going the opposite way on the flash hider.It took a pretty serious amout of torque to get it off but eventually it turned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You have to be super careful using the gas block as leverage.  You can tear it off.

Also my step dad found a way to get them off using a torch and a rubber mallet.  He clamped it in a vise using v blocks and broke apart about 5 in a row.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
You have to be super careful using the gas block as leverage.  You can tear it off.

Also my step dad found a way to get them off using a torch and a rubber mallet.  He clamped it in a vise using v blocks and broke apart about 5 in a row.
View Quote
yeah I know that's a weak point for them unfortunately It was a fine line of breaking something or the mount coming off once I got to that point.I tried a vice,heat,pressure,a hammer to break apart the thread locker(jokes on me it was just torqued on by bushmaster) and was about to cut it off when it finally budged. Not sure what torque they use to put them on but its way too much lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top