Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2020 5:56:17 PM EDT
How do y'all remove the sizing wax from the brass?

After sizing, I put a handful of riffle brass onto a paper towel, fold over and roll to get the majority of it off.  
Do this for four or five times, then use the other side.
Maybe singularly wipe them with another towel before I measure them with a case gauge,
then if all is sized correctly, wash with Simple Green and let dry.
I'd rather not tumble after because it removes the annealing coloration

I just finished sizing 500 308 and am looking for a more efficient way to do this.  Thanks
(Efficiency is an intelligent laziness )
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't sound like it will be any help for you but I tumble in corn cob for bulk stuff.  If I am just spot checking pieces to make sure sizing is still good I wipe it off with a rag.

Why do you want to keep the coloration from annealing?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you want to keep the coloration from annealing?
View Quote
My fetish

I have walnut stuff, but haven't used it since I started wet tumbling
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Corn cob is less abrasive than walnut.  I don't anneal so I can't say for certain but it might leave the annealing coloration.  You don't need to run the brass for very long to remove the lube/wax.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Mineral spirits and an old t -shirt
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Try rubbing alcohol and an old T shirt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
use Dillon spray lube or equivalent and dry tumble the loaded rounds, what I do after sizing
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I wipe mine off with a rag after it comes out of the die, trim if necessary and then put it in a sonic cleaner with Hornady One Shot and a little bit of dawn dish soap.

Cleans off all the lube, especially inside the neck.

Before I even resize I decap my brass and soak it in hot water and dawn dish soap for a few hours.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I put the brass in a gallon jug ( old windshield wash fluid jug) and dump in mineral spirits, cap it, then swish around.
Dump mineral spirits back into can for reuse.
Dump brass out on aluminum roasting pan.
I use that type pan because they are cheap. Use whatever you want or can acquire.
Roll brass around to get excess liquid off.
Dump brass into second jug and fill with alcohol, swish around, drain alcohol back into its can for reuse.
Dump brass into pan and set in sun or in front of fan or hit with hair dryer for a few minutes - it will dry off pretty quick.
Brass ready to load - no more lube on them.
I use Imperial size wax.
The alcohol bath is because the mineral spirits can take awhile to dry off inside the case and I want it gone.
You can get many washings out of the mineral spirits and alcohol- so keep reusing them.

The cases feel dry and clean when done = no lube left behind.

Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I use old cotton tee-shirts to get Imperial Sizing wax off.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all for the great tips.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I dry tumble in tiny 20/40 grit corn cob media

you can get it from grainger or https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-crn3-40/i/G2165387/

it's too tiny to get stuck in the primer holes

5.56 brass

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
After I size, I wipe them off with a clean rag once they come out of the die. I then have a mason jar of acetone I drop the cases into after I have sized them all. I gently roll them around in the jar, then dump out the acetone into another jar, then dump the brass onto a clean rag. The acetone dries off really fast, cleans off the sizing lube, and leaves no residue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mineral spirits and an old t -shirt
View Quote

this or alcohol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top