Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2020 1:18:31 PM EDT
I have an anodized aluminum muzzle brake I have not cleaned for a long time. A few of the ports are probably more than 50% plugged with carbon. It's s extremely difficult to remove.

What is the best way to clean it? Brake cleaner did nothing. I am thinking about purchasing a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for $50 but I habe never used one before.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Not saying it's the best way but the only way I clean one that nasty is scrape it away.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not saying it's the best way but the only way I clean one that nasty is scrape it away.
View Quote

Might be the best way. I thought there might be a way to just soften it a bit even. Foaming bore cleaner helped a little. I am afraid CLR would damage it. Maybe soak it in Hoppes 9?

A gunsmith suggested an ultrasonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Very few things carbon up like the muzzle brake of an AK-74 fired with Soviet 7N6 ammo.

I tried everything.... soaking in Hoppe's #9, soaking in Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, ultrasonic cleaner, etc.

Just by accident I found the one thing that really worked and that was Shooter's Choice Copper Cleaner.
It stripped the carbon off in an hour or so.
I'm not sure how it would affect aluminum or whatever the part is coated with but you might try the Shooter's Choice.
Brownell's and Midway seem to be out of stock, but you can find it from other online sources, including direct from Shooter's Choice.  Make sure to get the Copper Cleaner.

Be careful to test whatever you use.  I use a piece of scrap aluminum as a test.
Note that strong soap cleaners like standard Simply Green, Greased Lightning etc will DESTROY aluminum and anodized aluminum finishes and do so fast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very few things carbon up like the muzzle brake of an AK-74 fired with Soviet 7N6 ammo.

I tried everything.... soaking in Hoppe's #9, soaking in Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, ultrasonic cleaner, etc.

Just by accident I found the one thing that really worked and that was Shooter's Choice Copper Cleaner.
It stripped the carbon off in an hour or so.
I'm not sure how it would affect aluminum or whatever the part is coated with but you might try the Shooter's Choice.
Brownell's and Midway seem to be out of stock, but you can find it from other online sources, including direct from Shooter's Choice.  Make sure to get the Copper Cleaner.

Be careful to test whatever you use.  I use a piece of scrap aluminum as a test.
Note that strong soap cleaners like standard Simply Green, Greased Lightning etc will DESTROY aluminum and anodized aluminum finishes and do so fast.
View Quote

Thanks!

For what it's worth I fired about 6000 rounds through it without cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
CLR bathroom cleaner ?
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Might consider Bore-Tech carbon cleaner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top