Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2021 11:48:07 AM EDT
I have a new receiver that I want to change the trigger group in.

It looks like the selector is a Schmid Tool type ambi safety.

I believe the assembly screw has some type of Loctite on it.

I want to remove it with the least amount of damage, even though I do have some spare ones.

Should the screw head be heated with a soldering iron first or should I just torque the screw loose?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have removed a bazillion without heat but heat is for sure the safest bet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking to maybe try heating the screw head with a soldering iron / soldering gun. ( I have both, but haven't seen them in years.)

If the parts had 10,000 rounds on them, I wouldn't care so much, but they are brand new.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know for every loctite formula except the low strength purple loctite it is recommended to heat the part to 350-400 degrees before trying to remove the screw, nut etc. Very critical to do on the high strength red version or the version for pressed sleeves & bearings where the intention is to never be able to remove the parts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I know for every loctite formula except the low strength purple loctite it is recommended to heat the part to 350-400 degrees before trying to remove the screw, nut etc. Very critical to do on the high strength red version or the version for pressed sleeves & bearings where the intention is to never be able to remove the parts.
View Quote

Yes, i was ssembling the parts I would have used Blue or Green Loctite, but the these usually come with locking compound on the screw before assembly and many people claim they often work loose without Red Loctite.

That may just be due to not proper prep and cleaning and Red is usually a bit more tolerant of oil than some other colors.

I'm going to spend some time trying find my soldering tools.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Removal should be issue free unless someone added excessive thread locker or went overboard with torquing the cap screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top