Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2022 8:27:48 PM EDT
Wondering what people recommend besides sandblasting. I have an HK USP Compact Tactical 45 someone turned into an abomination with shit digital camo. I can scrape it off in some areas, but not all. It may not even be cerakote, Im honestly not sure if you can tell when its a shit job. It is definitely not just rattle can. Ill see if I can get a picture loaded up. Just looking for ideas to remove as much as possible without messing with the frame or original coating on the slide too much. I was using some picks to get at it in alot of areas and was working ok. But not getting the thicker parts up, feel like Im gonna dig into the slide if I try too much harder. I got a great deal on it, it is an HK USPCT45 after all, still shoots great.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to renew my membership, I dont have any hosting acct anymore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
See if acetone will wipe it away. If not it is cerakote and media blasting is it. You can hand sand and recoat if a must.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought my PVC cleaner was pure acetone, there were two touch spots that were some regular paint that wiped away with that. Nothing else did.

Is there a way to not blast away the original HK coating in the process? So far, it seems my harbor freight picks are hard enough to chip away at the cerakote but not the original coating. Just taking forever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Citristrip? I know it works on spray paint, have not tried it on cerakote.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote is very thin coating so if its super thick its probably something acetone or stripper will soften.( Can’t promise The finish underneath wont get damaged  though )
Furthermore I would just blast it and Cerakote it properly.   More than likely whoever painted it destroyed the original finish, most the time they sand blast but I have seen some people use other abrasives.
I’ve never heard of anybody throwing a paint job on something without at least scuffing the surface.
Did they paint the inside?  Rails? How about all of the firing pin channels etc.?
One other place to look is the part of the slide where the bbl locking lug engages.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Cerakote requires a specific surface "profile" for adhesion that requires sandblasting with a specific grit, at a specific pressure range. If you still have original finish under your coating, it's either not Cerakote, or the surfaces were prepared incorrectly.

Try Citristrip and see if that cuts through the paint. You'll want to completely disassemble the slide for stripping.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Definitely still original coating underneath, and from wgat ive got off so far, i dont think they scuffed the slide at all. Definitely did the frame. im assuming they didn't clean it properly. Its not thin by any means, kinda seems layered. I was thinking hydrodip at first, but it doesn't have that feeling or texture hydrodip has.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A local gun shop had a Browning shotgun in for refinishing. It originally had a custom camo paint job on it, then a different owner literally buried it in what loos like a spray and bake. Aircraft stripper showed all that paint who's in charge around here. The bluing underneath looked salvageable the last time I saw it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 3:13:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I used aircraft stripper in an attempt to remove gunkote. Didn't work so great.

Had to blast it off with 120gr AlOxide media. It was fast and didn't soften the edges of the electrochemical etching I'd done previously.
Probably would save yourself some time if you just blast it off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Citri-Strip's worked for me, inadvertently.

Takes awhile, but it'll get it off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used aircraft stripper in an attempt to remove gunkote. Didn't work so great.

Had to blast it off with 120gr AlOxide media. It was fast and didn't soften the edges of the electrochemical etching I'd done previously.
Probably would save yourself some time if you just blast it off.
View Quote

Aircraft Stripper isn't what it used to be. Like everything else, the best performing chemicals were taken out, and the stuff that didn't cause cancer in laboratory cockroaches was doubled.

I've seen Citristrip work "okay", but it seemed to help when the guy stripping the parts left them in a sort of clean old bread wrapper for a couple of days to soak in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Cerakote is designed to be chemically resistant; it's one of the marketing points.

The only real way to remove it is media (sand) blasting.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cerakote is designed to be chemically resistant; it's one of the marketing points.

The only real way to remove it is media (sand) blasting.
View Quote

What he said.  Depending on who did the original Cerakote, there may be some of the factory finish left but I'd guess not much.  You're basically left with either doing a re-spray of Cerakote (in a normal color) or something like NP3, NiBoron, etc.

I'd personally re-spray it with something like Cerakote E-series.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Aircraft stripper takes the factory paint off 10/22 receivers. Not sure what Ruger uses, but it’s resistant to every other chemical I’ve thrown at it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Cerakote is not paint. There are important differences between paint and heat-cured coatings.Now if it was done in Ceracoat "C" Series, put it in a holster and it'll come right off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top