Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2018 2:35:39 PM EDT
I have an ar thats painted completely including scope and a2 stock. I was planning on using citristrip for everything. I am mostly worried about the scope, is citrstrip too abrasive?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an ar thats painted completely including scope and a2 stock. I was planning on using citristrip for everything. I am mostly worried about the scope, is citrstrip too abrasive?
View Quote
Be careful on rubber stuff like O-Rings and also plastics.  I wouldn’t let it sit on that stuff too long.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I did mine with Brake cleaner and it worked like a champ. Of course it was just rustoleum in a can.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got painted removed off of everything but the hand guard. Ive used citristrip, brake cleaner and about 3 hours of elbow grease and steel wool. Nothing seems to be working, are there any ideas other than a sand blaster?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got painted removed off of everything but the hand guard. Ive used citristrip, brake cleaner and about 3 hours of elbow grease and steel wool. Nothing seems to be working, are there any ideas other than a sand blaster?
View Quote
I used a lot of Citri-Strip, the sun on my back deck, and a stiff nylon brush to remove the 87 layers of Rustoleum, Krylon, and Aervoe paint from my SOCOM AR. It’s not 100% paint-free, but it looks good enough to me, definitely that ‘Rebel Alliance’ look.

I used CS on my Aimpoint without issues, rinsing off the paint and stripper in a bucket of warm water. The lens covers were snapped down tightly, but I didn’t do anything extra to protect it, and it came out just fine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used a lot of Citri-Strip, the sun on my back deck, and a stiff nylon brush to remove the 87 layers of Rustoleum, Krylon, and Aervoe paint from my SOCOM AR. It’s not 100% paint-free, but it looks good enough to me, definitely that ‘Rebel Alliance’ look.

I used CS on my Aimpoint without issues, rinsing off the paint and stripper in a bucket of warm water. The lens covers were snapped down tightly, but I didn’t do anything extra to protect it, and it came out just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question. Did it remove the factory print on the Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but the layers of paint darkened all the once-white engraving on the Aimpoint and Centurion C4 rail.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used brake clean and lectra clean I had sitting around. Would bubble up pretty quick. Some areas that wouldn't I would scratch a little bit then spray and it came right off after that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, but the layers of paint darkened all the once-white engraving on the Aimpoint and Centurion C4 rail.
View Quote
Ditto.

I've used CS on higher end optics (like Aimpoint) and various parts with laser engraved "white" markings (BCM / BFH on the upper, Centurion on a rail, LaRue on Troy flip sights, etc).  It just looks "dull" (not crisp bright white) after you remove the paint...but since it is engraved it is still visible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top