Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 5:49:04 PM EDT
I have a nice oiled walnut stock here that’s been bedded with grease. I think it’s ’water pump grease’ - can’t be more specific than that as I didn’t apply it.

What would do the best job at removing it without harming the wood? Soapy water wasn’t very effective on getting the grease off the barrel.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nose down in the sun in a black plastic bag...or at least that's how I used to remove cosmoline from Nagants with minimal effort.  Basically heat enough to have the grease run off the stock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
MEK is good
Ideally mixed with powdered chalk to make a paste
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the exact grease, you may be able to remove it with WD-40. I use it to remove cosmoline with good results.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MEK is good
Ideally mixed with powdered chalk to make a paste
View Quote

This works well. Acetone can be used. I mix it to the consistency of a thin pancake batter. Paint it on the wood and let it lift out the dirty oil. It may take several applications. The powdered chalk is sold in paint stores as "Whiting". It usually comes in sort of a milk carton.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually kerosene works very well on the metal parts. That thick stuff is probably Cosmoline. For the wood wipe it as dry as you can get it with rags and/or paper towels. (Caution, those rags and paper towels can become very combustible. Dispose of them properly or leave them in the open air outside for a day.) Then, find a can of MINWAX Furniturer Refinisher. Soak some into a rag and rub the stock down until the goop is gone. The Minwax refinisher won't harm the wood color unless you just get stupid with it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Goo Gone All Purpose Cleaner cuts grease and is safe on finished wood.

https://googone.com/all-purpose-cleaner

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks again. I ordered some MEK.

It’s smells similar to cosmoline, whatever the grease is. The rifle is a muzzleloading target rifle and bedding with grease is apparently something that’s done with them. I think it’s more to stop the ingress of moisture and fouling.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Put it in a garbage bag and run it through your dishwasher.

ETA: Or if you're unmarried, just put it in the dishwasher. It will melt the grease out and raise any dents in the stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
One technique I heard about from my cruffling days was to spray Easy-off lye based oven cleaner on it, and place the stock in the oven on "low" for a couple of hours.

Never tried that though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nose down in the sun in a black plastic bag...or at least that's how I used to remove cosmoline from Nagants with minimal effort.  Basically heat enough to have the grease run off the stock.
View Quote

Friend used to do this. Biggest thing he said was be patient.  

Quoted:
Depending on the exact grease, you may be able to remove it with WD-40. I use it to remove cosmoline with good results.
View Quote

I use WD40 to clean old fishing reels packed with dried up grease.  
Very easy on old plastics as well.  
WD40 is alot easier to clean off than some dried up axel grease from the 70s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
At one time, I had to process around 1000 FN FAL rear wood stocks that were in cosmoline.

I waited until the wife was gone and stuck them in the dishwasher with regular dish soap, and turned it off just before it hit the dry cycle. Worked perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put it in a garbage bag and run it through your dishwasher.

ETA: Or if you're unmarried, just put it in the dishwasher. It will melt the grease out and raise any dents in the stock.
View Quote

Don't do it if there is any chance your wife will find out.  But, I can tell it works like a charm.  Don't do this if you have any cracks in the stock.

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top