Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2018 3:43:58 PM EDT
Who would you trust to remove a pinned flash hider (without damaging the barrel) and replace it with a Warcomp?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
ADCO.

Check
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done them for myself.  Set it up in the mill, use an end mill to take the old pin down to thread level and spin the old device off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've done them for myself.  Set it up in the mill, use an end mill to take the old pin down to thread level and spin the old device off.
View Quote
Reasonable, but how many people here have mills at home?

OP, if you want to have somebody to do it, I've heard good things about ADCO.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Reasonable, but how many people here have mills at home?

OP, if you want to have somebody to do it, I've heard good things about ADCO.
View Quote
Not many, just thought I'd share that it was a simple process.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
This may go against the grain but if it is a simple pin weld, you only need grind off the weld and tap the side of the brake and the pin falls out. As long as you don't go off hell bent on grinding to the threads and just remove enough to expose the pin. I have done several, the only trick part is not seeing the pin. I no longer care whatsoever about ruining the muzzle device. If someone cares about the device I would not do it.

and of course.... ADCO is a safe bet lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which works really well....unless the pin is hardened steel (as it should be). Then you have to use a carbide end mill.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Which works really well....unless the pin is hardened steel (as it should be). Then you have to use a carbide end mill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always use a piece of drill rod for pinning them.  For removing, I mill (if you don't have a mill, use a dremel) to remove the weld.  Like said above the pin may fall out when tapped lightly with a hammer.  If not, I mill it out with a carbide end mill.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are doing an older Bushmaster barrel, they are a bitch because they are double pinned and the pins don't just drop out, I just did one last night and I nicked the end of the barrel when using a dremel to split the MD, so now I have to square and recrown the barrel.

I have now done two of the Bushys and both of them have been their own breed of animal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who isn't using carbide?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who isn't using carbide?
View Quote
I don't always use carbide, many of my end mills are HSS and work good for a wide variety of jobs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I removed one using a cutting wheel on a dremel tool to grind down the weld and remove the pin. I think it also had some red Loctite on it, so I used a little heat till I saw it flow and it spun right off.

But ADCO would be my first choice if I was going to have anyone else do it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't always use carbide, many of my end mills are HSS and work good for a wide variety of jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who isn't using carbide?
Why?  Good carbide is superior in every way and up to 1/4" the cost difference is negligible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why?  Good carbide is superior in every way and up to 1/4" the cost difference is negligible.
View Quote
No it is not, carbide will blow apart depending on what you are doing, I have strait end mills up to an inch and a half and facing mill up to 3 inches, my partner and I have used all kinds of mills over the last 12 years and certain mill do certain jobs better.  Him and I do a lot more than just gun parts, so we use the tool that fits the job.  When I do a pin and welded barrel, I use an 1/8 in HSS end mill and it works fine.

Here ya go, there are many other websites out there that talk about the differences and what they excel or don't at:

Bright Hub Engineering.

But to each his own..If you are using something that works for your application, I have no problem at all with that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No it is not, carbide will blow apart depending on what you are doing, I have strait end mills up to an inch and a half and facing mill up to 3 inches, my partner and I have used all kinds of mills over the last 12 years and certain mill do certain jobs better.  Him and I do a lot more than just gun parts, so we use the tool that fits the job.  When I do a pin and welded barrel, I use an 1/8 in HSS end mill and it works fine.

Here ya go, there are many other websites out there that talk about the differences and what they excel or don't at:

Bright Hub Engineering.

But to each his own..If you are using something that works for your application, I have no problem at all with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bright Hub Engineering.

That study is from 2011- grinds and coatings have changed since then.  Also, it talks about drills and form tools, which no one is talking about.  Then it goes on to discuss how HSS is forgiving of poor spindle run-out and weak slide-ways.  

To each his own, as you said.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Do it yourself.  Easy Peazy.  I did one recently with a Milwaukee drill and a quality bit.  Took quite a few tries to get it started.  Can most likely reuse the removed brake as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top