Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Great work.

Any thought of upgrading charging handle and bolt release?

I have the Tac-13, and I am actually very content with the 13" barrel length.

I love the sights you modded to fit, the Tac-13 is already drilled and tapped, but as you noted the contour of the Vang system is different and installing the front sight is outside of my skillset.

I am thinking of either just using the XS big front epoxy on sight and the Aridus rear sight/optic mount.

On the fence about SBS's it though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't SBS the TAC 13... You've paid a premium for the firearm you got & a matching +1 tube... I'm figuring I'll put an arms brace on and see if I can get it choked... I get .843" at the muzzle, that's got to be close enough for rem-choke, right??

I've got a $500 V3 field on the way from Sportsman's Outdoor that I was planning on having cut to 18.5", but damn that 10" build is looking sweet! Any update on the progress on the stock? I have to admit, the side-folder on my TAC-14 is a bit clunky, a top- or bottom-folder would be awesome!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RottnJP:
I wouldn't SBS the TAC 13... You've paid a premium for the firearm you got & a matching +1 tube... I'm figuring I'll put an arms brace on and see if I can get it choked... I get .843" at the muzzle, that's got to be close enough for rem-choke, right??

I've got a $500 V3 field on the way from Sportsman's Outdoor that I was planning on having cut to 18.5", but damn that 10" build is looking sweet! Any update on the progress on the stock? I have to admit, the side-folder on my TAC-14 is a bit clunky, a top- or bottom-folder would be awesome!!
View Quote
Minimum OD for Rem-Choke (or Mossberg 500 / Invector chokes) is .845". At .843" the barrel can take Tru-Choke tubes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By GunCat:
Minimum OD for Rem-Choke (or Mossberg 500 / Invector chokes) is .845".  At .843" the barrel can take Tru-Choke tubes.
View Quote
@GunCat - Can .843" work with any of the styles the Salvo adapters are available in? Salvo choke list below:

Remington = No as stated above.
Mossberg 500 = No as stated above.
Benelli Mobil = ?
Benelli Crio = ?
Remington Pro Bore = ?
Beretta Optima = ?
Browning Invector Plus = No as stated above.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Is Remington deliberately trying to piss us off?  A couple freaking mils of diameter keeps us from using the remchokes? I'm an engineer, and I swear if I meet a Remington engineer in a dark alley...  lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RipGear:

@GunCat - Can .843" work with any of the styles the Salvo adapters are available in? Salvo choke list below:

Remington = No as stated above.
Mossberg 500 = No as stated above.
Benelli Mobil = ?
Benelli Crio = ?
Remington Pro Bore = ?
Beretta Optima = ?
Browning Invector Plus = No as stated above.
View Quote
Sorry.  I do not have wall thickness/barrel diameter data for those other choke types. As far as I know there is no installation tooling available for those anyway - which limits the options in aftermarket choke tube threading

I've been on the Salvo guys to make a Tru-Choke threaded adapter since... forever. Many cut down Benelli barrels and others are limited to that threading pattern. Salvo has said they “may” produce adapters in the Tru-Choke threading “sometime in the future”
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I just measured a probore tube vs. a remchoke: The remchoke is .816 OD for the full length, while the probore is narrower for most of the length but still .816 OD at the threads. That suggests to me that the wall thickness requirements would likely be the same for the two Remington choke types.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GunCat:
I've been on the Salvo guys to make a Tru-Choke threaded adapter since... forever. Many cut down Benelli barrels and others are limited to that threading pattern. Salvo has said they “may” produce adapters in the Tru-Choke threading “sometime in the future”
View Quote
Thanks for the information GunCat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
@jbntex

Awesome project! If you have a second, i'm curious about a couple things:

First, did you end up shortening the mag tube at all? If so, how much, and can it still take 4 rounds?

Second, what did you give to your gunsmith as a starting point for the truchoke salvo adapters?

Last, how high over bore is the vang comp front sight? I'd like to use the aridus RMR rear, and i'm wondering if the vang front is a good fit.

Thanks again, great stuff!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
@jbntex

First, did you end up shortening the mag tube at all? If so, how much, and can it still take 4 rounds?

I did not have to shorten the mag tube, it remained all factory length.

Second, what did you give to your gunsmith as a starting point for the truchoke salvo adapters?

I gave him a Salvo Browning Invector Plus Choke adapter.  From my research the BIC chokes have the largest outside diameter of all the factory Salvo choke patterns offered.  The larger the factory outside diameter the more material there is for him to work with.

Last, how high over bore is the vang comp front sight? I'd like to use the aridus RMR rear, and i'm wondering if the vang front is a good fit.

I will have to go measure for you later this week as I don't have the dimensions handy.

View Quote
My Salvo was recently approved so I need to finally wrap up this project.   If I get time later this week I will try and snap a picture of the gun with the Salvo mounted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jbntex:
My Salvo was recently approved so I need to finally wrap up this project.   If I get time later this week I will try and snap a picture of the gun with the Salvo mounted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@jbntex

I gave him a Salvo Browning Invector Plus Choke adapter.  From my research the BIC chokes have the largest outside diameter of all the factory Salvo choke patterns offered.  The larger the factory outside diameter the more material there is for him to work with.

I will have to go measure for you later this week as I don't have the dimensions handy.

Great thread!!

I have shot a Salvo a little and loved it.. It is a hoot

Ill order one this summer
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Did you finish it up?  Do you have any pictures?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
You mentioned old school. To me old school would include the Robocop 1100 used to take his hand off.  It had the retractable stock that looked very industrial. Have you thought about using one of those? It would require an adapter to mate up with the larger receiver OF you have mentioned.

Thanks for sharing a great project.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#14]
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:
You mentioned old school. To me old school would include the Robocop 1100 used to take his hand off.  It had the retractable stock that looked very industrial. Have you thought about using one of those? It would require an adapter to mate up with the larger receiver OF you have mentioned.

Thanks for sharing a great project.
View Quote
His hand was shot off with a Mossberg from the looks of it. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/RoboCop_

RoboCop (2/11) Movie CLIP - Officer Murphy Is Killed (1987) HD
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
@jbntex

@jbntex

We need to see this gun.  Please advise.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I had forgotten about this thread until I just got the notification/mention.   I can say the gun has run great and I took it dove hunting last year and have had it out on multiple occasions to shoot clays.   So far my gas system mods have held up fine, reliability is 100%,  and I see no signs of wear on the aluminum receiver or gas pistons.   I probably have about 3 cases of shells through it so far with a mix of Salvo and non-Salvo shooting.

In terms of getting a picture, ironically, I actually dropped the barrel and original Salvo Tru-Choke off at my gunsmith late last week so he could replicate/convert another Salvo browning invector plus pattern choke into another Salvo Tru-Choke adapter.

This time I asked him to make me an Improved Cylinder choke (vs the original which was an Improved Modified) for a south Texas dove hunt coming up in a couple of weeks where the birds come in lighting fast and close.    I may have him make me a full choke at some point as well for a full set, but each choke runs me ~$350 each between the original Salvo Browning Invector Plus choke and the $250 in GS shop charge to convert it to Tru-Choke.

My gunsmith knows my hunt is the weekend of October 18th and I need my barrel and chokes back before I leave.   Once I get the barrel and both Salvo Tru-Chokes back from the gunsmith I will get it put back together and some pictures.  Worst case I will take some pic from the hunt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Small update.

Barrel has been painted with Norrell Moly-Resin and baked.  Small unanticipated complication in that the front site solder flux (and maybe some solder) came up through the front site hole and clogged up the threads.  Ended up having to use a 8-36 bottom tap to clean up the threads.

Anyhoo....here she is after the barrel being painted with moly-resin and the rear site mocked up on the receiver.  Plan to try and get the rear site permanently installed this weekend but need an 8-40 tap for the rear rail top screws which is on order and should arrive on Saturday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3567/V3_VC_Black_Rear_Mockup2-554711.JPG

Slowly starting to look more like the original photoshopped conceptual drawing.
View Quote
I wish Remington offered the Tac-13 in that configuration w/ front sight, vent rib, rail, and rear sight.   I'd be more likely to buy one to make a SBS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Rem V3 plus Salvo picture from the weekend hunt.

As usual she ran well with no issues and based on my informal assessment is hearing safe in the Salvo long configuration.  I ran one full morning hunt with the V3 Salvo combo and part of an afternoon hunt but primarily shot my Benelli Ethos most of the weekend.

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I'm really pleased with how my Tac13 came out.  The Form 1 came back in 10 days, and MGW had the stock and spacer set I needed on hand.  I wish there was an easy iron sight solution, but I'm thinking RMR like I put on my SBS 870 with the Salvo.  It's a great little gun that's cycled everything other than the subsonic stuff I usually shoot in my Salvo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#20]
That SBS with the Salvo on it looks awesome.  I just submitted my e-form 1 for my TAC-13.

Have you thought about one of the Aimpoint Micro S-1 off the vent rib for a red dot?

Would your gun smith be interested in making additional Improved Cylinder Salvo chokes and threading my TAC-13 barrel?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTacticalCoyote] [#21]
My contribution:

Rem V3 SBS by Two Sierra, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
My contribution:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49363680781_20d5db89d7_c.jpgRem V3 SBS by Two Sierra, on Flickr
View Quote
The barrel clamp. I need that. Brand and source?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By CBass123:

The barrel clamp. I need that. Brand and source?
View Quote
It’s a Magpul forward sling mount MAG508.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]
This is about the coolest Salvo use I’ve seen. Well done.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

It’s a Magpul forward sling mount MAG508.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I own a V3 shotgun and I have wanted to change the butt stock for a long time.  I have been following threads discussing ways to change the bird's head grip that is installed on the TAC 13 in the hopes of finding a solution that would allow for me to install any 870 compatible stock / grip onto my V3.

Finally!  I have been trying to purchase the V3 Stock Shim Adapter from Remington for well over a year now.
After 3 separate emails and 4 different calls to the Shop Remington Customer Service department I was finally able to purchase one.

Remington Part #:  F417439

I plan on installing the Magpul SGA stock using this factory adapter.

I have also installed the 18.5" barrel along with the V3 Mag Extension Kit (Remington Part # 17697).

Hopefully this post will help any other Remington V3 owners looking to modify their shotgun to use a different butt stock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Where did you get the camo butt stock and forend for your V3?

I believe that is the Magpul SGA stock for the 870 on your SBS.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TechSkills:

I believe that is the Magpul SGA stock for the 870 on your SBS.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
View Quote
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/17885
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TechSkills:

View Quote
If you are referring to my pic, it is the stock forend and the Magpul 870 SGA stock that I had dipped in M81 Woodland.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Figured I would give am update on the V3 SBS project.

Good news is my Vang Comp sights and Sico Salvo Browning Invector Plus Choke all came in.

I dropped off the barrel, the Browning IVP choke, and an example TruChoke with a local gunsmith/machinist and he agreed that there was enough material on the Browning IVP choke to turn it into a TruChoke.  He could also cut the 44 TPI double lead thread that the TruChoke required so agreed to give it a go.

On Friday I got my Remington V3 barrel back (now threaded for TruChokes) and my new Sico Salvo - Improved Modified - TruChoke adapter.

Custom Salvo TruChoke Adapter

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3567/Salvo_TruChoke-542589.JPG
View Quote

jbntex do you mind sharing the contact information for the gunsmith that modified the Echo choke adapter for you?  I'd like to have a few made.  :)  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Am I reading correctly that someone figured out a way to make a salvo choke for a choke which can be threaded into a Tac 13? I might be reading wrong. Got that a lot growing up. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 71dsp:

jbntex do you mind sharing the contact information for the gunsmith that modified the Echo choke adapter for you?  I'd like to have a few made.  :)  Thanks!
View Quote

The gunsmith who made me the Salvo based True Chokes is a local gunsmith in Austin, Robert "Bobby" Buehtel.

Its a bit of a different gunsmithing arrangement as he doesn't accept work directly like RAS does, but is the in house gunsmith for two local shops,  McBrides Guns in Austin, Texas and Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park, Texas (suburb of Austin) and picks up work orders from both places.

I would suggest calling Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park (as McBrides is a bit fudd-ish and wont accept work on an NFA type firearms) and let them know what you want done,  that Bobby has made these before for a local client, and if you could UPS them the parts for him to pick up and convert.  

http://mygunswarehouse.com/

You will need to provide the Salvo Browning Invector Plus Chokes to be converted to TrueChoke pattern as he can't make the Chokes from scratch.   He will probably also want your barrel as well (he wanted my barrel when making them to ensure fitment).

Its an expensive proposition but they do work.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#33]

The gunsmith who made me the Salvo based True Chokes is a local gunsmith in Austin, Robert "Bobby" Buehtel.

Its a bit of a different gunsmithing arrangement as he doesn't accept work directly like RAS does, but is the in house gunsmith for two local shops,  McBrides Guns in Austin, Texas and Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park, Texas (suburb of Austin) and picks up work orders from both places.

I would suggest calling Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park (as McBrides is a bit fudd-ish and wont accept work on an NFA type firearms) and let them know what you want done,  that Bobby has made these before for a local client, and if you could UPS them the parts for him to pick up and convert.  

You will need to provide the Salvo Browning Invector Plus Chokes to be converted to TrueChoke pattern as he can't make the Chokes from scratch.   He will probably also want your barrel as well (he wanted my barrel when making them to ensure fitment).

Good luck.
View Quote

Ok great!  Thanks for the information.  I'll reach out to them. We usually go down to Austin every other month or so, but with this craziness going on, we haven't been in a bit.  I have bought quite a bit from Capitol Armory down in Cedar Park. :)  I appreciate the info, and fantastic looking build!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/164254/9E3A2E57-F402-4B4A-8C51-DF3FC3C4DD3A_jpeg-1161328.JPG

I'm really pleased with how my Tac13 came out.  The Form 1 came back in 10 days, and MGW had the stock and spacer set I needed on hand.  I wish there was an easy iron sight solution, but I'm thinking RMR like I put on my SBS 870 with the Salvo.  It's a great little gun that's cycled everything other than the subsonic stuff I usually shoot in my Salvo.
View Quote

I am using an Aridus Industries CROM with an RMR on a TAC-13 that I have SBS'ed.  It's getting a Vang Comp front sight installed and the barrel threaded for TruChokes now.

I am using the same setup (Aridus CROM w/RMR and Vang Comp front sight) on a Mossberg 590M and the sights co-witness with the RMR perfectly.  I'm hoping for the same result with the TAC-13.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Cool project OP! I need to start looking for a Tac-13. Are they discontinued?
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#36]
They are selling on Gun Broker for like 1600 bucks last time I looked.

That price is just crazy.

I don't think they are discontinued, they are just hot right now and people bought them all up.

Thankfully I got mine a while ago ;-)
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:36:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CBass123:
They are selling on Gun Broker for like 1600 bucks last time I looked.

That price is just crazy.

I don't think they are discontinued, they are just hot right now and people bought them all up.

Thankfully I got mine a while ago ;-)
View Quote

I may just snag a v3 field. They are going cheap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Here’s the Tac13/V3 thread for those of you interested. Some good info

Remington V3 Tac-13 tips-info-compatibility thread
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:11:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Bump to keep it current
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turbobrick] [#40]

Good luck.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Silencer Co had a sale on Salvo chokes, so I figured no time like the present, to get the Salvo adapted to my Tac-13.  I sent the choke and barrel to Guns Warehouse, and Bobby had it all done and back quick.  The workmanship looks great, I'm very happy.  I really like how the Tac feels with the Salvo, balances better than my 870 SBS I think.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bcamp15] [#41]
Ok, I'm on a shotgun project binge right now, and I'm weighing a bunch of options.

I really like this V3 build and was thinking, to give myself a better excuse to pick one up, I'd want if for dual purpose. That being, sweet sbs as well as being able to use it for trap/skeet. We do 3-4 shoots a year at work.

Would it be feasible to swap barrels? Have the short one then a factory 28" for trap?

Potential issues I see is if I add ghost ring sights, they'd need to be removable (if that's even possible). I would have an rmr on it as well while in sbs form, pic rail also removable if possible.

I know I could probably shoot well with the short barrel, but the fudds at the various ranges have minimum barrel lengths when shooting trap/skeet/clays.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, just figured this may be the best place to ask. Is this a dumb idea? What am I missing? Probably going to shop around town to see if anyone has a V3 tomorrow.

eta: I currently have a 20" 870 that I can and will easily sbs if the V3 doesn't pan out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#42]
It's easy enough to swap bbls on almost all shotguns.  The V3 shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Bcamp15:
Ok, I'm on a shotgun project binge right now, and I'm weighing a bunch of options.

I really like this V3 build and was thinking, to give myself a better excuse to pick one up, I'd want if for dual purpose. That being, sweet sbs as well as being able to use it for trap/skeet. We do 3-4 shoots a year at work.

Would it be feasible to swap barrels? Have the short one then a factory 28" for trap?

Potential issues I see is if I add ghost ring sights, they'd need to be removable (if that's even possible). I would have an rmr on it as well while in sbs form, pic rail also removable if possible.

I know I could probably shoot well with the short barrel, but the fudds at the various ranges have minimum barrel lengths when shooting trap/skeet/clays.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, just figured this may be the best place to ask. Is this a dumb idea? What am I missing? Probably going to shop around town to see if anyone has a V3 tomorrow.

eta: I currently have a 20" 870 that I can and will easily sbs if the V3 doesn't pan out.
View Quote
The barrel on the V3/TAC is easy to remove, the biggest barrier would be locating extra barrels.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:40:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bcamp15] [#44]
The barrel on the V3/TAC is easy to remove, the biggest barrier would be locating extra barrels.
View All Quotes

Yea I figured finding another barrel would be difficult, but maybe with Remington coming back, that will be easy in the future?

That leads me to my next question. Is $750 a decent price for a V3 right now? Obviously they were way cheaper a while ago, but seems they are slim pickings right now.

eta: I think I actually found an 18.5 factory V3 barrel in stock.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Well I would say that's not a bad price. they are up in price now and low in volume.... and with the "gun control" trying to get rammed through beggars can't be choosers right now.  Or roll the dice and wait to see if prices come down when the new Remington starts churning them out (I'm hoping/betting for the later)   gl
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 6:41:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Yea I figured finding another barrel would be difficult, but maybe with Remington coming back, that will be easy in the future?

That leads me to my next question. Is $750 a decent price for a V3 right now? Obviously they were way cheaper a while ago, but seems they are slim pickings right now.

View Quote

There’s one for sale on the EE right now for $1750, so I’d say $750 is in the neighborhood of sanity.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BoomToob:

There's one for sale on the EE right now for $1750, so I'd say $750 is in the neighborhood of sanity.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BoomToob:

There's one for sale on the EE right now for $1750, so I'd say $750 is in the neighborhood of sanity.
Well that is a Tac-13. I am talking about a regular old V3 field that I would SBS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Well that is a Tac-13. I am talking about a regular old V3 field that I would SBS.
View Quote

10-4
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

@jbntex

Two questions, sir.

Which pantograph is that?

And which front sight is that?

Thanks!
View Quote
Engraver is a Bellco PM3.

https://shop.bellcoinc.com/computers-and-manual-engravers/manual-engravers/pm-3-manual-engraver/

The front sight is from Vang Comp.

https://www.vangcomp.com/product/vang-comp-ghost-ring-sights/
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top