Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2010 9:38:54 PM EDT
So, I started a thread several months ago on this shotgun, but it appears to have disappeared...along with many other threads!  :)  Anyway.  I was given this shotgun to re-stock by http://www.oakridgecustomfinishing.com/index.html so I can continue to practice cutting stocks.  After doing as much research as I could, I decided I would better serve the customer by getting a rough cut stock and finishing from there.   I picked up a stock from http://gunstocksinc.com/ about a month ago have let the wood settle into our high humidity environment.  Started cutting slowly today.  I'm going to finish the inletting then work on shaping, first the buttstock, then the forearm.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Done!
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I love your stock thread BTW.  Wish I could go to school for this, but I'm too old and set in my current industry to switch careers.

Originally Posted By Magurgle:

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 99Tarbox:
I love your stock thread BTW.  Wish I could go to school for this, but I'm too old and set in my current industry to switch careers.
Originally Posted By Magurgle:

Your's is pretty good also. I finally got a hold of my rifle, it was at my mom's place. It got rusted a bit because of the health issues I am dealing with, but I will get finished pics up in a week or two. I am also out of batteries for my camera.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Take care of your health!    Hope you are doing better!
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Excellent, I am watching this closely.

Recently picked up an 1894 with two sets of damascus barrels and it needs to get cleaned up a bit-
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 11:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magurgle] [#8]
Originally Posted By 99Tarbox:
Take care of your health!    Hope you are doing better!

Thanks, just met with a new doc yesterday actually, couple more weeks and I'll know what's what. Now if I only had a shop to use to reblue this damn rifle.

eta: can't wait to see this, I've got a love/hate relationship with shoguns. I love them, but I hate working on them. After you complete this you'll be ready to put a stock on just about anything.
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 6:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 99Tarbox] [#9]

I've been cutting on the inlet very carefully.  I'm not using inletting black, don't see a need at the moment.  The rough cut was close, but still a lot of cutting to get it right.  It's getting there.  Can't say as I'm extremely happy with the rough cut stock, it missed the boat slightly in a couple of places, especially the gentle curve at the top of the receiver.  Most of the gaps will disappear with finish, but I sure would have liked it a lot closer.  You can see the chisels I'm using for this work.  They always have to be kept very sharp.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
update?
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks like you did a really nice job on the 1894.  I am also trying to restock a Remington 1894 10 gage.  I am having trouble getting the metal components to separate from the butt stock.  Is there a trick to getting the trigger group to separate from the stock? I have removed all screws and can get the front part to move away slightly.  I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I figured out my problem.  I forgot the upper tang screw under the top lever.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top