Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2018 2:39:39 PM EDT
I have an 870 I'd like to fix, and not sure what is wrong with it.

The trigger will not fire, it is not resetting. I don't think it is a problem with the trigger group, as I swapped it for another one and that one did the same thing. I did notice that after being installed it will fire one time, but after being racked to fire again it will not. Somehow the action is not resetting the trigger, but I see nothing obviously wrong.

What should I look at ?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A mossberg 500.

No, seriously, I kid.

Have you taken the bolt assembly apart and checked to make sure the firing pin moves freely? Maybe some gunk or debris preventing correct operation. Is the gun new?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like it's not locking into battery give it a cleaning and inspect the barrel hood and locking lug on the bolt. Post some pics
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d inspect the bolt and make sure the firing pin moves freely and is not broken.    Also check the staked ejector hasn’t moved and preventing the bolt from moving freely and going completely into battery.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I will try to check the pin. But I wouldn't think it would be the pin, as it seems to fire for the first time after being assembled.

It is a used gun I picked up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like it's not locking into battery give it a cleaning and inspect the barrel hood and locking lug on the bolt. Post some pics
View Quote
Pics of what specifically
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pics of what specifically
View Quote
Exterior shot of assembled gun looking at ejection port with both action open and closed.

Exterior shot of assembled gun looking at loading port both action open and action closed.

Disassemble the gun

Pics of ejector through ejection port and through loading port.

Pics of rails in receiver and shell stops.

Pics of the action bars from side and top.

Pics of bolt assembled from each side, top, bottom face and tail.

Disassemble the bolt, pics of bolt components. Inspect the firing pin channel for debris.

Pics of trigger group from each side and top.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry it took me a few days to get the time to break it down. Yes I know its dirty inside, I'll try cleaning that but I think something is broken I don't think its just a dirt issue.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the action opening far enough to cycle shell out of the mag tube and into the chamber?

With the gun empty, pull the trigger and watch to see if the hammer falls. If it does then cycle the action  and see if the hammer is cocking.

If the hammer does cock after pulling the trigger then keep the trigger pulled back and cycle the action and watch to see if the hammer will cock, or is the hammer following the bolt forward.

Let us know what happens with these tests.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the action opening far enough to cycle shell out of the mag tube and into the chamber?

With the gun empty, pull the trigger and watch to see if the hammer falls. If it does then cycle the action  and see if the hammer is cocking.

If the hammer does cock after pulling the trigger then keep the trigger pulled back and cycle the action and watch to see if the hammer will cock, or is the hammer following the bolt forward.

View Quote
This^^^^
OP I'm stumped. Everything looks good in the pics. I would say clean the trigger group as it could be grunge in the sear area preventing it from resetting or a weak springs, but.....it also did the same thing with another trigger group. With that information I would have asked exactly what GunCat said. With only one extra question. Are you getting light strikes on the primers.  Let us know.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The action opens and moves fully, the trigger feels soft like its doing nothing. It doesn't click empty, it isn't engaging at all. Like it feels after its been fired, but not cocked.

I don't know how you'd watch the hammer, isn't the receiver blocking the view ? But I hear absolutely no noise, the hammer couldn't be doing anything.

Also it will not lock up, it can be pumped freely back and forth.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also it will not lock up, it can be pumped freely back and forth.
View Quote
Make sure the fore end nut is tight (and the forearm completely seated on the fore end tube)

If the forearm moves forward on the tube the action may not completely close which will keep the action lock from engaging - and the trigger disconnector will not allow the trigger to release the sear
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Make sure the fore end nut is tight (and the forearm completely seated on the fore end tube)

If the forearm moves forward on the tube the action may not completely close which will keep the action lock from engaging - and the trigger disconnector will not allow the trigger to release the sear
View Quote
I think this is likely the problem, as it started to work using the other forearm assembly from the other gun. It is super tight though and I can't quite get it to move, and I may have pinched the tube as well as now it seems overly tight. So its not working, but I think I found the problems.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The gun now dry fires properly. It is extremely tight to pump though. I think I may have damaged the forearm rack tube. But it seems to work other than being tight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Check Your ejector spring (on inside of the receiver) that is isn't bent too far outside especially at the back...

That may be the cause of your binding as there is a track in the bolt and if the ejector spring is outside of it, it binds.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Ddi you make any recent changes, such as replacing the pump forearm?  My brother swapped his wood out for a Blackhawk stock and forearm, and the forearm fit almost too snugly.  The gun would lock up, but would not fire.  After doing some fitting, the forearm slid on another 1/16" and the gun would fire.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ddi you make any recent changes, such as replacing the pump forearm?  My brother swapped his wood out for a Blackhawk stock and forearm, and the forearm fit almost too snugly.  The gun would lock up, but would not fire.  After doing some fitting, the forearm slid on another 1/16" and the gun would fire.
View Quote
I had this happen. I picked up a cheap but well used 870P an needed to replace a damaged forend. I picked up the cheapest thing I could find ($10) but it required significant fitting to allow the bolt to go forward enoug to lock into place.

IIRC- As I was fitting the forend, it became VERY hard to cycle the action until I found the sweet spot of removing just enough material from the forend.

It really sounds like something is preventing the bolt from locking up properly. Like others said, make sure the barrel is FULLY seated and the mag tube nut is properly screwed on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top