Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 7:05:23 AM EDT
I have an older 1974 Remington 870 Express. I have the original 28 In Vent Rib Barrel and a newer production (2000’s) 18.5 In bead front sight barrel. I have also put on a +2 Choate extension. With the original 1974 barrel on the gun, everything runs fine. When I put the shorter barrel on, the action becomes extremely stiff at the rearmost position of the stroke (when I pull all the way back on the pump handle). The action practically locks up at this point.

When I tinker with the magazine extension by backing it off a few clicks, the problem seems to lessen a bit but it introduces some wobble into the magazine extension.

What could be causing this?
Is this a headspace issue?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Remington mag extension, cheap aftermarket parts are cheap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
From your description, the only thing I can suggest looking at is where the notch on the new barrel engages the ejector slot in the receiver. Compare that relationship with the original barrel.

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Will do. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Good suggestion. I’ll see if the problem persists with the original cap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Also check the fore end to barrel fit. I once put on and after market fore end, went from factory wood to Choate synthetic. It was just enough to snug up the action at the end of the throw. A little file work cleaned it up. It was also with a different barrel.  The profile on the 18.5" might be just a tad thicker.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I also believe that the foreend may be contacting the bottom of the the new barrel. I had to relieve my foreend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Just tried this and it worked. Thanks everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top