Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2020 2:29:23 PM EDT
Disclaimer: tried to access archives before asking, but bolt action rifles is one of the few subjects I cannot access.

By inheritance I am receiving a Remington model 700 that falls within the trigger recall range. The trigger has not been replaced. I am unwilling to send the rifle in for the recall due to the unknown wait time, and previous experience with product returns from Remington. I am good with gunsmith skills (fitting and honing ) that do not require a lathe.

Currently the firing pin will not stay reset upon closing the bolt. Not actually firing just riding the bolt forward. May be a cleaning issue, or the reason for the recall.

Any actual experience for recommended trigger replacements and why? The rifle will get more range time than actual hunting duty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace the trigger with a Timney and sell your old one on the EE.  I did that with two of them.

There is a very good possibility your trigger has been fucked with to lighten trigger pull, and the incorrect screw was mis-adjusted.

Rifle Basix is another good one.

These are drop in fixes that will require no fitting, only need to remove the barreled action from the stock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My Jewell was a direct drop-in and no issues 8,000 rounds later.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with a Trigger tech, they are great triggers at a great price, they are also simple drop in triggers...Hard to beat how well they work, how easy they are to adjust, and how well made they are...This is well worth a read...

https://triggertech.com/pages/how-it-works
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with a Trigger tech, they are great triggers at a great price, they are also simple drop in triggers...Hard to beat how well they work, how easy they are to adjust, and how well made they are...This is well worth a read...

View Quote
I agree, I put one in a friend's rifle.  Excellent trigger.

eta:  cool link, I didn't know they made AR15 triggers too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I put in a Jewell and it made a big difference in my accuracy with the gun.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother's 700 has a Timney. I like it. No issues with it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I'm going to do this for my 700.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with a Jewell trigger, great trigger, drop-in too.

Recently bought a Geissele trigger, haven't installed it though.  Saving it for a future build.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't Remington reimburse you if you replace the faulty trigger with something else?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Doesn't Remington reimburse you if you replace the faulty trigger with something else?
View Quote
Thanks for the Aha moment, I found a website for a class action suit that indicates Remington would reimburse up to $119 for model 700 replacement triggers from non-Rem authorized gunsmith services, but replacement has to be an updated Remington part, not Timney or other aftermarket brands. A lot of legalese to read . Last claim date is April 15, 2020.  www.remingtonfirearmsclassactionsettlement.com
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Google the instructions and tune it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Like several others, above, I bought a drop in replacement trigger and couldn't be happier with it.  Mine is a Jewell.  It replaced the factory trigger in my 40-X and is better than that stock, adjustable trigger.

I would not hesitate to get a Jewell or any of several others mentioned above.

Inadequate sear engagement and pull weights below about 1-1 1/2 pounds can result in the firing pin following the bolt home.  Try raising the pull weight a smidge and see ig that cures the problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The stock adjustable Remington “old school” trigger has been safe for me in multiple Rem 700 actions down to 2 lbs.  Don’t go lower.  If you need to go lower, get an aftermarket trigger.  I just set my hunting Rem 700 rifles at 3 lbs and all have been fine.  No unintended discharges.

I do agree that the first step should be to remove the barreled action from the stock and thoroughly clean and properly lube the OEM trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top