Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 10:13:53 AM EDT
Question about the textured matte finished Remington 700 bottom metal like this...

Is the rough texture a result of the type of finish they applied or is the base metal that rough? I'm thinking about refinishing this piece but I need to know if I media blast off the current finish, would I be left with a relatively smooth surface to refinish?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Its the result of the sintered aluminum construction.  Its a "powdered" aluminum that's pressed and heated until it fuses together, then some critical dimensions are milled.  So the metal itself is just rough.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Question about the textured matte finished Remington 700 bottom metal like this...

https://i.imgur.com/fYVaHvP.jpg

Is the rough texture a result of the type of finish they applied or is the base metal that rough? I'm thinking about refinishing this piece but I need to know if I media blast off the current finish, would I be left with a relatively smooth surface to refinish?
View Quote
It is likely powder coating.  I have done quite a bit of blasting aluminum parts.  Afterward I hit them with a fine Scotch-brite wheel on a grinder motor. that leaves the surface mostly smooth and only needs a touch up with Wenol polish to make it shine.

I didn't do this on my 700s, I sold the parts and replaced them with Magpul DM system, very little fitting required.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#3]
OK - thanks for the info guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top