Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2021 6:59:56 PM EDT
Went to my local store and lo and behold there was a beautiful looking target gun on the rack that caught my eye. I'm a sucker for .22 rifles and couldn't resist, bought it without knowing anything about it.

Luckily it was on consignment and I was able to haggle on it a bit. I searched the forum and only found one thread pertaining to this particular model, does anyone have any experience with them? Things you like/don't like/ammo recommendations?

I'll post pics and AAR once I get to shoot it tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent if heavy .22 rifles, I have a US Property marked one and it's a pretty good shooter. Did you get the sights with yours?

All .22's are different and like different ammo. I would not recommend the ''quiet'' primer ammo as, with that long barrel, you stand a chance of the bullet not exiting. The are 2 different mags, a 10 round and a 6 round. They fit a decent number of different Remington .22 rifles.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent if heavy .22 rifles, I have a US Property marked one and it's a pretty good shooter. Did you get the sights with yours?

View Quote

Yes, it has the Redfield rear sight and globe up front.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a chance to shoot this bad boy tonight and wow am I impressed. The trigger pull is definitely heavy but otherwise it’s a great shooter. I plan on doing a detailed strip of her this weekend and cleaning everything up, hoping that that the trigger will improve. Any tips there?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one about 25 years ago and loved it. Somewhere along the way it got traded or sold as so many have. Cool old guns. Mine had a great trigger. Maybe if you clean it well yours will improve.

They really don't make them like that any more. Nice pick up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful rifle. I'm a sucker for older American made .22's. You just can't beat the walnut and blued steel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one this past winter.....I got it cheap (under $200) because the bolt would not stay in the receiver but I figured it was because the trigger was adjusted down too low.....Yep, I gave the trigger adjustment screw one turn and it did the trick. Thing is you have to remove the action from the stock to adjust the trigger. It's a consistent 1.5# now.  

It's a 1943 example that went through a Letterkenny refurb in the 50s and ended-up as a DCM gun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I just left the stickers on as I figured if I removed them there would be a "ghost" of their presence on the wood anyway.

They did not joke around when it came to securing the Redfield sights.....The mounting screws for the receiver sight mounting block and the front globe dovetail are both peened in place.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot one of those when I was on the rifle team in my high school days.........won a couple medals even.Ours cam from the DCM,this was in the early 60s.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought one this past winter.....I got it cheap (under $200) because the bolt would not stay in the receiver but I figured it was because the trigger was adjusted down too low.....Yep, I gave the trigger adjustment screw one turn and it did the trick. Thing is you have to remove the action from the stock to adjust the trigger. It's a consistent 1.5# now.  

It's a 1943 example that went through a Letterkenny refurb in the 50s and ended-up as a DCM gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/t_001__2__JPG-1959237.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/t_002__2__JPG-1959238.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/t_003__2__JPG-1959239.JPG

I just left the stickers on as I figured if I removed them there would be a "ghost" of their presence on the wood anyway.

They did not joke around when it came to securing the Redfield sights.....The mounting screws for the receiver sight mounting block and the front globe dovetail are both peened in place.
View Quote

Mine has the same double US Property marks on it. At some point some company stenciled their unit ID. on the stock. I left that alone as it's just part of it's history.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Loved those old sights.

One of the fine gents on ARFcom sent me a bunch of extra mags for it that were going to be tossed out years ago while they were cleaning out old obsolete stuff. Made my day, week, and month.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a 513-S and have shot some of the T models as well. Great rifles and very classic American made construction, but notorious for heavy triggers that keep them from being truly competitive against other rimfire target rifles. Don't expect to win a competitive match with it, but enjoy it for what it is. Last time I looked into it on RFC, there was no known cure for the trigger weight.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine has the same double US Property marks on it. At some point some company stenciled their unit ID. on the stock. I left that alone as it's just part of it's history.

One of the fine gents on ARFcom sent me a bunch of extra mags for it that were going to be tossed out years ago while they were cleaning out old obsolete stuff. Made my day, week, and month.
View Quote

Yeah, I got lucky on mags....The folks that consigned the rifle (along with over 120 guns) had a box full of mags of different flavors. They let me have the 513 mags, along with some others, for $5.00 a pop. I was tickled to death.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a 513-S and have shot some of the T models as well. Great rifles and very classic American made construction, but notorious for heavy triggers that keep them from being truly competitive against other rimfire target rifles. Don't expect to win a competitive match with it, but enjoy it for what it is. Last time I looked into it on RFC, there was no known cure for the trigger weight.
View Quote

On the plus side, you can beat the rest of the competitors to death with it and then still hit the target without a re-zeroing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top