Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 2:59:50 PM EDT
I just got my barrel back from the smith and it looks great and is more than I expected. He had mentioned that I may need to open up my gas ports. Well I shot it today and I do need to open them up a little as it doesn't quiet cycle all the way. Anyone have any tips?

The best way I can think to do it is bring some drill bits and a drill to the range with a box of shells.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
don`t know if this helps, but when I got my 11/87 police about 12 years ago, it would not eject low brass shells. lots of people said to open up the gas port. one guy said he had called Remington and was told to lube the action of the gun with automatic transmission fluid, so thats what I did. it has not malfunctioned since. cheap and easy to try and if it does not work, maybe drilling out the gas port would help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a reamer, not a drill bit.
First look up the port spec for your barrel, then use that size reamer. They may just need cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I slowly opened each port and settled on a #43 for both ports. It is a touch has a touch lighter ejection with the short barrel than the stock  barrel as I didn't want to over do it. It was 100 percent reliable for 100 rounds. I will put some more though when I get some time, I am extremely happy it is working correctly!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top