Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2021 2:03:31 AM EDT
Are Remington 1100s considered to be bad shotguns? I found one locally, used, for under $600 and that surprised me so I thought I'd check it out to see what ARFCOM knew.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends what you want it for. For hunting or clay sports they are just fine. For 3-gun or self defense they are weak so look at other shotguns.

ETA: $600 does not seem like a great price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had one, but many of the members of my skeet club back in the 80's used them, they seemed to hold up pretty well. Granted, skeet loads aren't 00 buck, but the round count is high.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
One the coldest nastiest days of Dec. through Feb. at home dad had an 1100 he fixed up for grouse hunting.  He had to wear gloves on those really cold days and the old M37 Ithaca would double on him due to the gloved finger in the trigger guard as he pumped the slide for a second shot.  

That 1100 worked day in, day out, regardless of the temps/snow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends what you want it for. For hunting or clay sports they are just fine. For 3-gun or self defense they are weak so look at other shotguns.

View Quote

Not true about self defense/3 gun. Don't know about prices.
I have an 18" barrel, speed loader and fiber front sight to put on for tactical classes.
I convert it back for hunting.
Never failed to go bang. I've had it since the 70's. Replaced to rings once although they were still going strong.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Kept clean and an occasional o ring change 1100's are GTG.

The only ones I've ever seen give issues were DIRTY/CRUDY.

This many years of Duck hunting....now the old A5 Browning
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I used an 1100/1187 for about 10 years for 3 gun... the major reliability issue is that the bolt carrier link to the recoil spring (typically called the "tuning fork") is a stamped piece of metal, that must provide space in the middle of its length for the hammer to strike the firing pin...producing somewhat weak side to side strength... the end that rides into a cup in the recoil spring follower is not welded shut, so the sides of the arms can flex... if part breaks or flexes too much the link fails and comes out of the gun looking like metal spaghetti...while I did change the "O" rings I never had one fail...

the best I can remember of parts that failed

carrier links ... at least 5
extractor... 2
early two piece ring...1
long shell latch...1
spacer between fore end and barrel...1
lifter pins...several

I switched to a Benelli M1S90 in 2005 for Ft Benning matches
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Remington 1100 LH that I use strictly for trap. Installed a "Sure Cycle" stainless steel action system in it so it would cycle even the lightest target load. Has worked flawlessly for the last three trap seasons.
Gary
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a ‘67 built 1100. There are some nylon buffers that occasionally need replacement and the piston O-ring which is a #21...

Not a great defensive gun but good sporting shotgun. A little heavy and dated compared to a nice new Beretta or Benelli.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:16:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used an 1100/1187 for about 10 years for 3 gun... the major reliability issue is that the bolt carrier link to the recoil spring (typically called the "tuning fork") is a stamped piece of metal, that must provide space in the middle of its length for the hammer to strike the firing pin...producing somewhat weak side to side strength... the end that rides into a cup in the recoil spring follower is not welded shut, so the sides of the arms can flex... if part breaks or flexes too much the link fails and comes out of the gun looking like metal spaghetti...while I did change the "O" rings I never had one fail...

the best I can remember of parts that failed

carrier links ... at least 5
extractor... 2
early two piece ring...1
long shell latch...1
spacer between fore end and barrel...1
lifter pins...several

I switched to a Benelli M1S90 in 2005 for Ft Benning matches
View Quote

THIS could have been written by me. Except that I switched to a Remington Versamax.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Love my 1100, and my daughter loves her 11-87 in 20ga.

However, the actual HD shotgun is an 870.  The 1100 gets taken out for clays usually.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll elaborate a little on my earlier reply... the 1100 in question had a Trap B stock cut down, and fit me very well... there was not a lot of organized 3 gun available in the Tampa Bay area in the early to mid 80s, though the Naples Swamp Romp caught our interest, and shotgun side matches were incorporated into the pistol matches... (we developed a lollypop target, an 8" round on the top of various height T bases, that would knock down when over balanced...the matches were mostly something to do while the pistol match was being scored with calculators (pre Practi Score).... the shotgun got 5 trips to the Sportsman's Team Challenge, and 50 skeet birds a week in practice for that series... my first major 3 gun match was, I believe, the 1995 North Carolina Tactical match up in Fayetteville, put on by Kyle Lamb... great match that set the standard for me...for that match it still had a 26" barrel, and I was looking for a hacksaw on the way home, as Kyle liked to shoot from automobiles and buses.... Area 6 matches and four more NC matches... then 9/11 and the guys from Ft Bragg were occupied elsewhere... the Army AMU started the Fort Benning matches in 2005, and the 1100 did not like 26F weather at 8 am... it was retired after that match, and replaced with a 21" Benelli... so the service life was actually closer to  20 years rather than the aforementioned 10...
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
1100's will run reliably with the proper ammo in all temps.'
Some trap shooters, and people who worked part time at a rental range will tell you to run them wet
I've never defended myself with a rental gun and hope I never do.

Look it up, wet vs dry 100.
Before I got mine, my grandad shot birds and put them on the table in many sub zero days.

The "wet vs dry" argument exists in trap land but for personal use, defensive use, in whatever temp it is, relateivly dry is how mine have wanted to just work.

O rings get all the press, but I replace mag tube springs as much or more. That's how I am tho.

My 1100's in a "semi dry" state of lube have run well from sub zero to 110+ temps. Your experience may differ.

ETA: the trap guys and 3 gun guys have good insight into what parts wear the most. But my use is evident to me and a lot of others. Buying a semiauto "self defense " shotgun today has it's own parameters but you can live well with an old 1100.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I grew up on 11-87’s and still love them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had one as my primary shotgun for years. Don't shoot it enough to break it. Have had a couple "trapped shell" malfunctions which is a pain in the butt.

It's softer shooting than anything else I've tried and has been perfectly reliable otherwise.

All that said, I'm replacing it with a 590A1.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are Remington 1100s considered to be bad shotguns? . . .
View Quote

The Remington 1100 is the most successful, and arguably still one of the best semi-auto shotguns ever made. A true classic that has served literally millions of shooters well for more than a half century. There are more modern guns, but the 1100 is still going strong.

First, why WOULDN'T you want an 1100? Well, they're not good at adapting to a wide range of ammo. The standard 1100 only shot 2-3/4 shells. They did make a magnum version that handled 3 inch shells, but often those guns didn't perform great with light loads. Also, if you're shooting hot magnum loads, there are better shotguns. Also, you have to keep the 1100 clean. If you pull the forearm and wipe down the internals after each shooting outing and keep a spare o-ring seal handy, that will take care of most of the maintenance issues, but if you're the type who never cleans their guns, you're going to have problems with an 1100.

As a home defense/tactical shotgun, they may be better choices, but I'm not really sure I can tell you why any of those other guns are better. The 1100 will do the job just fine, so long as you keep it clean and don't shoot magnum loads (why would you?).

But, if you're looking for a fantastic shotgun that will do everything you need to do with target to field type 2-3/4 ammo you really can't do much better than an 1100. Yes, some of the older Berettas are really nice, but they won't serve you any better than an 1100.

It's my opinion that the guy who wants to try skeet or sporting clays should buy a used Remington 1100 as his first gun. You want to make sure you get a barrel that's choked appropriately for the game you're going to shoot (or get a Remchoke barrel) and a vent rib is definitely nice to have. You should be able to find a good set up like this easily for under $600 if you stick to 12 gauge. That gun will serve you well for several seasons while you learn the game -- and honestly, it could serve you well you entire life -- and when you're ready to buy an over/under, you can sell your used 1100 and recoup all your cost.

Now, watch this . . .

Remington tells the 1100 Autoloading Shotgun Story
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I started with a municipal LE agency in '93 and we carried 1100's for years until swapping them for 1187's. I eventually transferred to a state agency and was issued a 14" 1187 and carried it until retirement. I never had any issues with mine or recall seeing others with malfunctions.

My personal home defense shotgun for the last 30 years has been an 1100 that I got from my father...

Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
The 1100 is a great shotgun regardless of what is said on the Internet.
I got one about 15 years ago ended up getting a second one set as a combat shotgun both are reliable .
Never a failure using any type of ammo .
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I just gave this one away... Now Im looking to replace it. Its a bad time to try to purchase firearms
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I use mine occasionally since it was my grandfather's gun.  It's been OK.  After 50+ years a part broke in the trigger somehow last year.

That being said if I was going to get a shotgun and had $600 to spend it wouldn't be on a used 1100.  There are brand new guns out there in that price range that will be better guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a 1187 just before Covid last year at a pawn shop for $400. Owner told me 1100 are priced higher and going up because of collectors, don't know if he is right or full of BS.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd pass on a 1100 for a 11-87 (Gas Compensating so it fires BOTH light 2 3/4" shells AND 3" high brass magnum without a care)...

Have been VERY happy with a 11-87 I picked up as a extra guest gun - it's never bobbled on dove hunts, skeet fields or goose blinds.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bought a 1187 just before Covid last year at a pawn shop for $400. Owner told me 1100 are priced higher and going up because of collectors, don't know if he is right or full of BS.
View Quote

The 11-87 has never been as popular as the 1100, though in truth it's probably just as good of a gun. Maybe better.

It's not like 1100 have been expensive until lately, though. I have an 1100 with a vent rib remchoke barrel that I bought for $400. I also have an 1100 skeet gun that I paid less than $350 for.

IMO, an 1100 with a remchoke barrel is the absolute best bang for the buck shotgun you can buy for target shooting or normal field uses. It will handle just about anything you ask it to do and it FITS most people really well. Just a great handling, extremely capable gun. When you can buy one for $600 or less, what's there to complain about?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd buy every 1100 or 11-87 I come across for $600

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I like mine but I wouldn’t use it for defense, I’ve had a couple o-ring failures during hunts.  A simple piece of nitrile rubber can cause it to become a single shot. And it takes a #21 o-ring if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'd buy every 1100 or 11-87 I come across for $600

View Quote

I wish I had remembered you posted this. I just dropped off a load of guns at an auction company. There was an 1100 in the lot. I'll be surprised if it brings $600 after auction fees.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My only experience is with an 1100 Competition model (set up exclusively for 3 gun with 22" barrel, 8+1 mag, chokes, vent rib etc with grey stock and foregrip). It has some problem with the ejector and maybe 1:50 rounds fail to eject properly. It does this regardless of using light skeet load or MAX buck or slug. After shitting the bed in a few 3-gun matches where I had to dig out an empty to get it running again, I've relagated it to skeet. For actual HD I have an 870 and a Benelli.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I was bidding on a used one on GB, I went to 650... I think it went for 850. Looked new except you could see an outline of the shell carrier they had mounted. Mine(mesa) did the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are used to making light loads for your pump shotgun you might be a little depressed to find out that 1100s don't cycle light loads. Other than that my two 1100s are 100%.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you are used to making light loads for your pump shotgun you might be a little depressed to find out that 1100s don't cycle light loads. Other than that my two 1100s are 100%.
View Quote

I don’t believe you. My 1100 says otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might depend on the individual model.  Different barrels came with different porting.   A skeet or trap barrel had more open gas port or ports.   The regular field and slug guns were smaller ports.

I wish I never sold my LT 20 ga 1100.   I did have to take the slug barrel and gun to Ilion to get fitted.  The block inside the receiver that the breach/ chamber area rests on was too tall.   The slug barrel wouldn’t fit.   The Rem solution, file fit the barrel instead of the block and cold blue it while I had lunch next door.   Good enough. Was accurate as heck too for a slug gun.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#33]
The 1100 is one of my favorite shotguns. I've tried 11-87's, but have had more reliability issues with them, so I always end up back at the 1100.

The 1100 Magnum with the 30" fixed full choke barrel is a the best deer hunting shotgun I've found. It patterns 00 buckshot very well. It's reliable, stands up to abuse, and is soft shooting for what it is. Since this area is full of guys who deer hunt with dogs and use buckshot. They are still extremely popular in this area and the prices seem to be high. The only downside is that they don't shoot most lighter 2 3/4" loads without changing the barrel.

I had a standard 2 3/4" model as well several years ago which I really regret getting rid of. It was a great gun as well. I never had any issues, it patterned well, etc. Made a great sporting gun. The only reason I got rid of it is that I just didn't shoot it that often. I should have hung onto it.

That said, I've never used one for 3 gun, or anything like that. Mine have all been for sporting purposes.

As for the price, I also haven't kept up with pricing. Around here a couple of years ago, the Magnums were in the $550-600 range, but you could often pick up the 2 3/4" variants for closer to $400. I'm not sure how the panic has changed these prices though, so they are probably irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some of the high end models, this would be a good price, but OP is lacking in details.

Not a high end model:

Here is an example of current pricing trends.  One of my older LGS always had an entire wall, several rows deep, of just shotguns.  I guess these were all cheap trade ins or gun show buys.  Mid china flu, there was not one single shotgun left on that wall, it was completely cleaned out.

Supply and demand is a thing.  During that time, my 1100 would have easily fetched $600, but it is one shotgun I don't consider parting with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top